Author Topic: Something Strange Happening with points formula  (Read 1145 times)

muodonovan

• View Profile
Something Strange Happening with points formula
« on: May 17, 2013, 02:35:38 PM »
Hi all,

so i had something strange happen with the formula I was using.  I ran a tournament and logged everyone out and double checked the points and they looked good so I uploaded them to my site.  

The points can be seen here for this tournament

http://mikespokerleague.com/poker-results/

Then I went to run a second tournament using the same formula and the results are totally different including a bunch of negative numbers.  Furthermore, when I reopened the saved file of the first tournament and looked at the points they had changed? So something must have happened to the formula but I can't figure out whats wrong?

here is the formula I am using:

10 * (ROUND(LOG(( players +5)/ rank ,10)*100,0)/10)

I am really trying to find something like Dr. Nearu's formula but without taking into account rebuys, add-ons, or buy-ins (becuase they are free tournaments)

Thanks for your help

-Mike
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 02:51:17 PM by muodonovan »

muodonovan

• View Profile
Re: Something Strange Happening with points formula
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 03:07:16 PM »
just noticed I had players instead of "n" and rank instead of "r"

someone must have changed it at the tournament...

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Something Strange Happening with points formula
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 04:03:24 PM »
Yep, I'd say it was changed manually by someone.

Incidentally, "r" and "rank" are interchangeable.  But "n" and "players" are not, as "n" refers to the number of players in the tournament ("numberOfPlayers" or "buyins" can also be used) but "players" is the number of players remaining (also "playersLeft").  So you will definitely get different results...