Author Topic: Complex formula help  (Read 1157 times)

ndeans

• View Profile
Complex formula help
« on: April 09, 2008, 12:54:51 PM »

Corey,

I love this software, I have been using it for a couple of years now and it is well worth every penny.

Now for my question,

My group of poker playing buddies are going to do a WSOP league overlay to our low stakes night and need to be able to track our league players during a tournament that will have some non-league players as well.

The setup:

This league is an overlay on an existing monthly tournament with a $10 buy-in and 1 allowed $10 rebuy.

For every buy-in or rebuy the player participating in the WSOP league will add $15 to the league for the contest. For every initial buy-in of $15 each player will be awarded 15 points towards their league point total. If the player rebuys they have to add the extra $15 to their rebuy, however the rebuy gains no additional points towards your league points total. At the conclusion of each monthly tournament, the top 5 players will receive an inverse number of points for the place they finish in the tournament relative to the number of players in the tournament. (i.e. there are 13 players in the tournament. 1st place will receive 13 points, 2nd 12 points, etc.)

The prize pool. This is where it gets tricky. We will most likely have 13 people playing for the seat and we have more than enough money to accommodate the winner. In fact, we can probably do the same setup even if we had 10-11 players. So, what I propose is for every $2,250 in the prize pool we will send 1 player to the WSOP $1,500 event with a $750 allowance for hotel and airfare. Any remaining cash leftover will be distributed among the players at the championship table according to a payout schedule. 1st place does not get a share of the remainder.

At the championship table their point count will be their starting chip count.

This setup rewards consistent players but also ones who show up regularly. However, it does not give the really good players an insurmountable edge over those who don't perform so well in the league.

Any suggestions for formulas and how the software can track all of this.

I use the software all the time for one-off tourneys but I have never used it for a league.

Thanks,

Nathan

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Complex formula help
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 10:42:55 AM »
I'm not sure the software can track all of that.  The formula seems simple, if I understood you correctly:

15 + if(r < 6, n-r+1)

15 points for buying-in, plus "inverse number of points" for ranks 1 through 5.

I don't think I quite get the prize pool part.  Are players required to pay additional money towards the "grand prize" (trip to the WSOP)?  In other words, are you basically taking a rake to contribute towards this prize?

ndeans

• View Profile
Re: Complex formula help
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 02:55:37 PM »
Yeah,

You it is a rake for the WSOP trip that will be decided by a freeroll tourney at the end of the season.

The prize pool tracking I guess I can do in a spreadsheet. Then set the prizes in the freeroll.

Thanks!