Author Topic: Tournament Points recommendations  (Read 1598 times)

blastula99

• View Profile
Tournament Points recommendations
« on: September 17, 2007, 10:07:13 AM »
I am starting our first season/league and attempting to develop the best methods for rankings and points. My goals are as follows:

10-tournament season – (one a month for a year with a gap or two) with 10% rake for end of season prizes
Typically a 10 person tournament but up to 18 different players playing over the season
Cumulative points awarded translate into starting chips in a season finale tournament with split of prize
Final season ranking (pre-finale) winner gets a split of prize money.

This seems to provide people the chance to get paid for a well-played season but also allow every body to still win something at the finale (you can’t be mathematically eliminated from prize money).

My question is:

What is the best point scoring system for this? I was leaning towards 1-point for each entrant/finish + a bonus for first and second. For example, 10-players - 1st place = (10 + 2) 12 points total, 2nd place = (9+1) 10 points total, 3rd place = 8 points, etc.

Forgive me if this is basic stuff, but it is relatively new to me and our first game is approaching…

Thanks.

Bixby

• Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament Points recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 10:46:35 AM »
Hey there:
Not sure if this will help or not, but you may find our format relevant to what you are setting up.

I run a league from January to October every year. I commit to hosting 20 games minimum during the season with a possibility of squeezing in a few more. We run two tables that seat 8 people each. There are currently 45 players with registered games in the league.

Players get to use their BEST 7 out of the FIRST 10 games they play. Each player only needs to play 7 games for a shot at the final table.

Each game they play costs $30. ($20 to the nightly pot, $5 to various side pots that pay out during the season, $5 to the final table game at the end of the season.

Points are awarded as follows:
Each player receives 10 points per player that goes out befor them on a regular series game. Come in 15th, get 10 points, come in 10th and get 60 points.
The top four players, the ones in teh money for the night) get a factor applied to their points to represent the prestige of making it to the top four and being in the money. (1st=1.5, 2nd=1.35, 3rd=1.15, 4th=1.05).

In addition to the ranking points, players receive 2 bonus points every time they take out a player. These points continue to accumulate even after a player has played his first 10 games. This encourages players to attend games after they have got their required games in.

We are nearing the end of the season for our 2007 series and the jockeying for the final table is awesome. Hopefully this can give you some ideas for your league.

Good luck and have fun...
My KARMA ran over your DOGMA

blastula99

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 11:11:00 AM »
That does sound useful. Thanks. (Dare I ask if you could post your points formula?)

Do you track your own rankings or use a site? I had set up an account at Statsgenie.

Do you use the bonus points in the rankings or just for side bonus payouts?

Thanks again.

Bixby

• Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 01:21:51 PM »
I would post our formula for you but I am embarrased to say that my TD laptop had a disk drive meltdown and I did not have the files backed up. I need to puzzle a bit and re-create my formula on my new laptop. I have got everything re-established on my new laptop except my screen layout tweaking and the points formulas. Not sure when I will get to the formula again, (need to wrap my head around it once more), but when I do I will share it here.

One of our players set up an Access DB that tracks all of our stats. We use it to create various reports that get turned into PDF docs and emailed out to our members each week. Still in the process of setting up our website.

The bonus points do go into the player's total rankings for the league.

Side pots as follows:
(1) Nightly Bounty Prize.
(2) Gunslinger Rollover Pot that pays out anytime it reaches $100.
(3) Best Hand Rollover Pot that pays out anytime it reaches $75.
(4) Bad Beat Pot.
My KARMA ran over your DOGMA