Author Topic: Best-outta-14-tourneys, 10-counting, reach-final-table-formula (Puh!)  (Read 1504 times)

Jonas

• View Profile
I guess my challenge is similar to clbg571's ("League Formula Help"), but I do have a couple of other stuff to consider.

I'm now running a 15 tournaments series where the 9 best guys of the first 14 tourneys qualify for the "final". However - only the 10 best tourneys of the first 14 will count before the final tourney is "manned". It's also important that players with only 9 tourneys are not deducted 4 tourneys automatically (if you see what I mean- rusty English here)...

So this is how I tried to set this up:

In every game the "Points for playing" is set like this (final table of 7 players):
if(rank =1, 2+6+n+1-r) +
if(rank =2, 2+4+n+1-r) +
if(rank =3, 2+2+n+1-r) +
if(rank =4, 2+n+1-r) +
if(rank =5, 2+n+1-r) +
if(rank =6, 2+n+1-r) +
if(rank =7, 2+n+1-r) +
if(rank > 7, n+1-r)

The "Tournament Scoring" is just set to "points" (literally, just written in that open field)...?

And the "Overall score formula" is set to: "sum (top (count(scores)-4, scores))"

Is this really correct? I seem to get some strange results...?

And also - the 15th round with the 9 best players... The end result here will divide the 9 top ranks - but if I add this game to the series-filter, it will surely look different.

Does anyone have a good idea on how to set up this series - or do you think this might be the best way?

By the way: there are no money involved in our games (Norway - not legal) - so I always get the warning that says "there are no prizes defined" :-)

Thanx to anyone interested in helping out!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Best-outta-14-tourneys, 10-counting, reach-final-table-formula (Puh!)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 09:42:38 AM »
Here's a simpler version of your formula:

n - r + 1 + if(r < 8, 2) + max(0, (4 - r) * 2)

Your Tournament Score formula is correct: just points.

For your Overall Score formula, you probably want to use:

sum(top(max(4, n - 4), scores))

The difference is that sum(top(count(scores)-4, scores)) always removes 4 of the player's tournament scores, regardless of how many they've played.  Therefore, they won't even have a score until they've played 5 tournaments.  Instead of subtracting 4 from the number of tournaments they've played (which is what count(scores)-4), count the total number of tournaments minus 4, but always count at least 4 (which is what max(4, n - 4) does).

Jonas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 04:46:46 PM »
I can only say wow, and thanks a lot!   ;D

It ain't easy writing formulas when you do it aprox twice a year. But thankfully there are friendly software-creators in this world!

I'll buy a couple more licenses soon. Promise!

Jonas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 07:25:39 AM »
But will not:

sum(top(max(10, n - 4), scores))

be more correct? Since 10 tourneys are counting?

We've now played 10 tourneys out of the first 14 - and the score looks very strange. So far - all 10 are counting and no tourney should be deducted, which is not the case when I look at the stats.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 09:30:46 AM »
Yes, if you only want to start dropping scores once the player has played in 11 tournaments.