Author Topic: Version 2.5 beta 1  (Read 12656 times)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Version 2.5 beta 1
« on: December 18, 2007, 10:39:35 PM »
Here's the first beta of version 2.5.  The big change is the separation of the Settings into its own dialog.  The release also adds two new screens: Player Movement and Blinds Schedule.  There are a few other changes and bug fixes, all are listed below.

Please be aware that this is a beta release, which means it is not *necessarily* ready for primetime.  I believe all of the bugs have been fixed, but real-world use always exercises the code in new and different ways, so if you decide to use it, be prepared.

Note that the user manual has NOT been updated, but the new features are mostly self-explanatory, so if you are familiar with the TD, you shouldn't have any problem using the beta version.

I welcome any and all beta testers.  Please share your experiences with the beta version, whether posting them here or emailing them to me.  Your feedback always helps to improve the software in the best way - the way that real users really use it.

Edit: Version 2.5 beta 1 is no longer available.  See this topic for info on 2.5 beta 2: http://thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=1033.0

Version 2.5 beta 1
======================================================================
New Features:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- "Tournament" screens now display in main window, Settings now opens
  in its own dialog.  This allows multi-display setups to display
  the Tournament screen to players at all times, while performing
  settings modifications, buy-ins, bust-outs, etc, on another screen
- Added "Player Movement" page to more easily display player movement
  to players
- Added "Blinds Schedule" page to more easily display the blinds/
  rounds schedule to players
- Added player table and seat information to Tournament History, at
  start of tournament for every player, and at bust-out for each
  player
- Added option to add your own entries to the Tournament History
- Added Seat column to Add-on and Rebuy dialogs
- Added "Custom" option to Name Formats
- Added option to specify one dimension of a banner image and allow
  the image to display proportional to original image dimensions
- Added "position" variable to Points for Playing and Tournament
  Score formulas
- Added option to disable Status Messages (without creating a new
  Status Message Set with each message disabled)

Bugs Fixed:
- Tournament history entry for setting clock said "Clock set to NaN"
- Tournament history entry for removing a player from tournament who
  had already bought-in said "Undo buy-in for Unknown Player"
- Incorrect message displayed when attempting to enter empty string
  in Unavailable Seat label dialog
- Using "numberOfScores" and "s" variable on the Overall Score formula
  (in the Stats) caused a formula error
- Using hotkeys F6 and F10 sometimes caused other hotkeys to stop
  working momentarily.  Using hotkey F5 sometimes attempted to restart
  the software
- Unbalanced tables icon sometimes displayed when in simple
  (non-tracking) mode
- Exporting the layout and overwriting an existing ZIP file did not
  overwrite the file; instead it added files to the existing ZIP
  archive
- Background images on the Seating Chart and Player Rankings pages
  were omitted from the layout export
- Player movement suggestion sometimes shows immediately after
  buying player(s) in and having them automatically randomly seated
- Tables page in "Problems" dialog showed no players were seated even
  in simple (non-tracking) mode
- Not specifying "rotateMax" and "rotateDelay" attributes in <prizes>
  token when "rotate" attribute was set to true caused the software
  to appear to lock-up
- Formula test dialogs showed an error in the formula when a new
  variable was created using the assign() function
- Show Last Movement dialog (on Tables tab) rendered incorrectly
======================================================================

« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 04:17:35 PM by Corey Cooper »

richielee

• View Profile
    • The Scaffolders Arms
Re: Version 2.5 beta 1
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 06:08:32 AM »
I've had a quick look on my test PC (ie in work) and it looks awesome - exactly what I was looking for with the multiple monitor options.
I'll try it out tonight at our Christmas special Tourney - We use 3 TV's and 2 monitors so it should give it a good workout!
I'll report back tomorrow.

Corey - You're a star.

***EDIT***
I've just set this up on our laptop and dual screen to my monitor - its great!
It makes setting up your layout screens an absolute doddle because you can see whats changing on the other screen when you hit apply.
I've even set up pre-tourney welcome screens with a countdown clock - all on display permanently.
Controls tab is brilliant btw.
All looks very professional.

Off to the Venue.......

« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 12:34:37 PM by richielee »

brunobus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 02:53:46 PM »
Loaded it on my work PC, but I don't have the dual screen setup at work, so I'll have to play with it more at home, but so far I like it.  I still wish that you could trigger an event based on a table breaking down and not just a suggested player movement.  Maybe it would be as simple as saying that if there are more then 2 players that are suggested to move, it is automatically assumed that it is a table breaking down, but of course you'd have to then force player to bust out one at a time and not be able to perform multiple bust-outs.  Then you'd be guaranteed to only have one player movement at a time unless a table was breaking down.  Or maybe just create an event called "more than one player movement suggested".

Further to that, make it so it will automatically display the Player Movement page only when there's a table breaking down.

Also, to maybe set a timer on the Player Movement page for either a player moving or a table breaking down so that it will switch back to the tournament screen again automatically.

As you might guess, I have issues with player movements and tables breaking down because people just don't notice the dialogues that pop up.  If the whole screen changes, then maybe people will notice it.

richielee

• View Profile
    • The Scaffolders Arms
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 07:16:55 PM »
Right...

Couple of things - Setup and first blinds were fine.
Round 2 didn't display the correct blinds - they stayed at round 1 values .

Busting a player out using 'x' caused the dialogue box to appear on the secondary monitor.
Busting out using the control tab worked OK - but was really slow - it got worse and eventually crashed the PC mid round 3 (which still displayed round 1 blinds)

I had to go back to a previous version during the break because people were moaning about not being able to see the blinds - so I'm not sure of any other issues.

'Time till end of rebuy' also included the break time - we have 4 rounds of 20 mins and a 10 min break. round 4 time till end of rebuys showed 30 minutes when it should have been 10 (same as last version TBH)

Small issue - ability to maximise the settings window om the primary display would be nice i(f possible)

On a plus point I finished 4th and picked up £90 - so happy days!

Hope this helps

Richie

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 10:41:13 AM »
Right...

Couple of things - Setup and first blinds were fine.
Round 2 didn't display the correct blinds - they stayed at round 1 values .

Yep, I think a change I put in at the last minute to speed up the display caused this to not update properly.  Easily fixed.

Busting a player out using 'x' caused the dialogue box to appear on the secondary monitor.

There are a couple of preferences that affect this.  On the Preferences tab, is "Save dialog locations" checked?  And more importantly, if you press the Extended Screen button, is "Use extended screen" checked and is "Open dialogs on Main screen" checked?

I only have one setup on which to test this (my laptop connected to my TV), so I had to develop this with only one setup in mind.  Yours could be different.  On mine, my laptop shows the typical windows screen, my TV shows just a background image.  If I move the mouse off of the right-hand side of the laptop screen, it appears on the TV screen.  So the TV screen is really an "extended" screen.  It's as if my screen has been widened, and that's how windows are treated, as if instead of 1280 pixels wide, my screen is 3560 pixels wide.  Is this similar to yours?

Busting out using the control tab worked OK - but was really slow - it got worse and eventually crashed the PC mid round 3 (which still displayed round 1 blinds)

That's interesting, since these both simply call the exact same function.  What was really slow (or different), compared to busting players how by using the hotkey when the Settings dialog was closed?

I had to go back to a previous version during the break because people were moaning about not being able to see the blinds - so I'm not sure of any other issues.

'Time till end of rebuy' also included the break time - we have 4 rounds of 20 mins and a 10 min break. round 4 time till end of rebuys showed 30 minutes when it should have been 10 (same as last version TBH)

The <rebuytimeleft> token gives the amount of time from now until the end of the last round in which rebuys are allowed, which would be inaccurate without including break time.  Since a common method is to have a break after the last round in which rebuys occur (in order to rebuy players without disrupting the tournament, since this is when you'll get most rebuys), the rebuy period really only ends when the tournament starts the round following the last round in which rebuys are allowed.  So, if rebuys are allowed until the end of round 4, and you have a break scheduled immediately after round 4, then rebuys are actually allowed until the start of round 5 (ie, through the break).  And the <rebuytimeleft> token will reflect this.

So, in your case (from what I can discern), at the start of round 4, the <rebuytimeleft> token SHOULD say 30 minutes: 20 minutes for round 4 and 10 minutes for the break.  Why should it have said 10 minutes?

Small issue - ability to maximise the settings window om the primary display would be nice i(f possible)

Agreed, but unfortunately the Settings window is a dialog, which means it doesn't have minimize and maximize buttons, and I cannot add them.  I could include a different way to do this, like adding a button somewhere else, but it wouldn't be intuitive.  For now, you just have to use resize the dialog manually.

On a plus point I finished 4th and picked up £90 - so happy days!

Hope this helps

Richie

It most definitely helps.  I'm sorry it turned out badly - I should have tested that last minute change more.  The problem is many things on the screen are cached, but some are not, and the un-cached items get updated automatically when something changes.  The cached items have to be notified that something has changed or they will simply display what they've cached, and not re-compute their values.  When I made this change, I'm sure I tested it without realizing I was testing using non-cached items, so it appeared to work fine.  I'll fix this and get beta 2 out quickly because without this fix, it's not much use.

Thanks for your feedback.

richielee

• View Profile
    • The Scaffolders Arms
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 11:40:48 AM »
Hi Corey, It really wasn't a problem - I'd made a copy of the directory before I upgraded so it was a simple rename job.

With regards to the issues...
1) Our screen setups are exactly the same. Extended desktop - we just run through a splitter to send the extended desktop to 3 TV's.
2) Bustout dialogue box opened OK - but it just displayed 'working' for long periods - 20-30 seconds - which got longer each time we busted someone out - until it crashed.
3) Time left for re-buy - I meant 20 minutes from round 4 start - You're right that players have 30 minutes to re-buy. Perhaps I need 'playing time left for re-buys' (minus the break) Is this possible? It's just that when I shout 20 minutes left for re-buys - the screen actually says 30min - confusing for some of our players.
4) Setting maximise - not a problem - just being a little picky!

It didn't go too badly - we lost 10 minutes while I messed about, but we had it back up and running at the start of round 4.
It just made me realise that I'm glad I don't have to do it with a pen and paper anymore!

I like Beta Testing things - I'm a commissioning engineer for the car industry so I guess it's in my blood.

Looking forward to another bash.

Richie

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 11:56:34 AM »
Hi Corey, It really wasn't a problem - I'd made a copy of the directory before I upgraded so it was a simple rename job.

With regards to the issues...
1) Our screen setups are exactly the same. Extended desktop - we just run through a splitter to send the extended desktop to 3 TV's.

So, did you have you have the "Open dialogs on Main screen" checkbox checked?

2) Bustout dialogue box opened OK - but it just displayed 'working' for long periods - 20-30 seconds - which got longer each time we busted someone out - until it crashed.
3) Time left for re-buy - I meant 20 minutes from round 4 start - You're right that players have 30 minutes to re-buy. Perhaps I need 'playing time left for re-buys' (minus the break) Is this possible? It's just that when I shout 20 minutes left for re-buys - the screen actually says 30min - confusing for some of our players.

Yep, just need to add an attribute to the token.  I'll put it on the to-do list.

4) Setting maximise - not a problem - just being a little picky!

It didn't go too badly - we lost 10 minutes while I messed about, but we had it back up and running at the start of round 4.
It just made me realise that I'm glad I don't have to do it with a pen and paper anymore!

I like Beta Testing things - I'm a commissioning engineer for the car industry so I guess it's in my blood.

Looking forward to another bash.

Richie

I wonder if you can reproduce the "crash", or at least the issue with the bust-out dialog taking so long.  Other people have experienced this, but for the life of me I cannot reproduce it.  If anything, that dialog should open faster and faster as you bust players out (the list of players get smaller and smaller).  If you have spare time, can you run through this and see what happens?  Just restart the same tournament (make a copy of the file or load the same tournament, restart it, but don't ever save it, so you don't lose the results of the real tournament), go to the Controls tab, start the tournament, and start busting players out until the tournament ends.  Don't worry about waiting or changing rounds, just bust players out and until they are all out and see what happens.  This should involve opening the dialog over and over until everyone is busted out, shouldn't take but a minute or two and might (maaaybe) shed some light on this.

Thanks again.

richielee

• View Profile
    • The Scaffolders Arms
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 01:13:10 PM »
"Open dialogs on Main screen" checkbox was checked.

I've just ran the Tourney again and everyone busted out fine - with no lagging.

It's not an exact like for like test as I'm running the extended desktop on a monitor - not multiple TV's. Not sure if that will make a difference though.

I'm back at the venue on the 27th so I'll run a test Tourney again then, under the same conditions.

Richie

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 01:50:54 PM »
Thanks for checking that out.  I suspected that would be the case, although it doesn't really tell us much.  It could be that it was a fluke, or it could be that on your system, while running a tournament (ie, the software is running the tournament over a period of hours), the lagging start to occur.  I suppose the next tournament may tell us more...

Whether or not you actually have an extended desktop or not really shouldn't matter.  Actually, the TD doesn't have any information about your extended desktop, none other than you tell it.  All it can tell is your screen dimensions, and those typically come back with the dimensions of your main display (not the extended).  That is why you must tell the software the dimensions of your extended display.  When you tell the TD to "open dialogs on the main screen", it just centers the dialogs with respect to your main display.  So if your screen is 1280x1024, it will simply open a dialog with the position set to center on a 1280x1024 display.  If you don't have the "Open dialogs on main screen" checkbox checked, it will open the dialogs using the coordinates of the last time you closed that same dialog.  If you don't have that preference checked ("Save dialog locations"), it doesn't try to position the dialog - it lets IE do it.  So it's very strange that the bust players out dialog opened on the extended display.  Did other dialogs open there, too?  Or just the Bust out dialog?

I'm curious also about the functionality to move the main window, on the Extended Screen dialog.  Did you use this feature to move the game/tournament screen to your extended display?  And if you did, did it work properly (properly meaning it placed it in the correct location and sized the window correctly)?

richielee

• View Profile
    • The Scaffolders Arms
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 03:07:01 PM »
Right - I see, that is strange.

Just the bustout dialog opened on the secondary display.
I did use the 'move' function and I dont recall there being a problem.

The_Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 06:27:22 PM »
Hi,

Testing this great program for the first time next Saterday.
Absolutely going to buy it now the Dualscreen feature is available!

My Setup:
Laptop DELL 9200 / Ati 9700 mobile agp8x
External screen: Plasma 42 inch Hitachi.
Laptop: 1440x900
External: 1024x768
Connected by SVHS.
Options: Extend desktop ON

Tested, and found some possible bugs/problems in this beta version:

BUG 1:
Dualscreen worked good, but sometimes it messed up the resolution.
Take 2nd screen back home, sent out to 2nd monitor fixes the resolution problem.
It looked like the resolution problem has to do with the difference in resolution
Sometimes I send the screen to 2nd and it did not fit, It looked like it was still at 1440x900 and did not reset to 1024x768.
But as said, when closing 2nd screen en send again it resolved good.

For the rest absolutely perfect duallscreen system !
Looks great, and with extra tab with controls is real easy to control.

BUG 2:
When adding point system calculation the points are reversed?!
Using : n-r+1
Result: First player busted gets most points, and winner gets least points!
In the calculation test windows the results displayed ok, but in game it's reversed.
The same happend with other calculations, all are reversed added to players

BUG 3:
I can not select more then 1 Hitman?
I remeber in the nonbeta i could select 2 or more.. Is this a bug or changed?

BUG 4:
Default gamescreen information not refreshed after Blind raise.
When Blind or ante is raised the windows keeps displaying the OLD big  and small blind and ante.
After screen refresh (manual or by screenrotation) the correct info is displayed.
Looks like there must be a refresh build in after the blinds are raised.

BUG 5:
When adding new players in DB i get an error.
The same error also ocuurs when editing player.
After error screen the player is added! So it does work?!
Error:
Code: [Select]
Deze eigenschap of methode wordt niet ondersteund door dit object (DatabaseTab, SchedulePage: 497) [i]- Translation: Method not supported -[/i]
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer
Browser Code Name: Mozilla
Browser Language: nl
Browser Minor Version: 0
Browser Version: 4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30)
Cookies Enabled: true
CPU Class: x86
Date: 1:18:01 12/21/2007
DB File: C:\Program Files\The Tournament Director 2\db/td.db
DB Folder: C:\Program Files\The Tournament Director 2\db
Home: C:\Program Files\The Tournament Director 2
JScript Build: 5730
JScript Version: 5.7
Media Player Version: 11.0.5721.5230
Online: true
Platform: Win32
System Language: nl
TD Version: 2.5.b1
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30)
User Language: nl

Suggestion:
Open Information screen FULL (optional), but setup windowed.
Setup window runs on laptop, so would be nice if windowed, but info screens are on 2nd so these i would like Fullscreen. Now i need to make a selection for both and can not independent.

Q1:
How to empty database? I've got many test "not finished" tournaments in there i like to empty this.

If first run works okay Saterday, i'll send to money for license on monday!

With regards, A happy new client.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 07:56:28 AM by The_Duke »

richielee

• View Profile
    • The Scaffolders Arms
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 02:51:49 AM »
I can confirm Bugs 2,3,4 and 5 from The_Duke's post on my system.

We only use one main screen on our tourneys so I guess thats why it didn't refresh.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 10:21:32 AM »
Hi,

Testing this great program for the first time next Saterday.
Absolutely going to buy it now the Dualscreen feature is available!

My Setup:
Laptop DELL 9200 / Ati 9700 mobile agp8x
External screen: Plasma 42 inch Hitachi.
Laptop: 1440x900
External: 1024x768
Connected by SVHS.
Options: Extend desktop ON

Tested, and found some possible bugs/problems in this beta version:

BUG 1:
Dualscreen worked good, but sometimes it messed up the resolution.
Take 2nd screen back home, sent out to 2nd monitor fixes the resolution problem.
It looked like the resolution problem has to do with the difference in resolution
Sometimes I send the screen to 2nd and it did not fit, It looked like it was still at 1440x900 and did not reset to 1024x768.
But as said, when closing 2nd screen en send again it resolved good.

For the rest absolutely perfect duallscreen system !
Looks great, and with extra tab with controls is real easy to control.

When you press "Move to extended screen", it reads the screen dimension values for the extended screen that you have set.  It will default them to the same values as your main screen, so if you didn't set them, they would have been defaulted to 1440x900.  That said, if you did set them, I wonder if for some reason it didn't properly read them...  Not really sure what may have happened.

BUG 2:
When adding point system calculation the points are reversed?!
Using : n-r+1
Result: First player busted gets most points, and winner gets least points!
In the calculation test windows the results displayed ok, but in game it's reversed.
The same happend with other calculations, all are reversed added to players

Yeah, noticed this (and fixed this) yesterday.  Seems that when I added the "position" variable (which is the inverse of rank), I accidentally set both the "position" and "r" variables, overwriting "r" (rank).  Classic cut-and-paste bug.  Incidentally, the "rank" variable is still correct.

BUG 3:
I can not select more then 1 Hitman?
I remeber in the nonbeta i could select 2 or more.. Is this a bug or changed?

Nope, never been able to select more than 1 hitman.  Still on the to-do list.

BUG 4:
Default gamescreen information not refreshed after Blind raise.
When Blind or ante is raised the windows keeps displaying the OLD big  and small blind and ante.
After screen refresh (manual or by screenrotation) the correct info is displayed.
Looks like there must be a refresh build in after the blinds are raised.

Exactly what richielee reported.  Working on this one today.  The change I made that caused this was put in place because it made screen updates take half the CPU time as before, which is obviously a good thing.  Fixing it is easy, but there may be a better trade-off where I can fix it and still get more efficient screen updates.

BUG 5:
When adding new players in DB i get an error.
The same error also ocuurs when editing player.
After error screen the player is added! So it does work?!
Error:
Code: [Select]
Deze eigenschap of methode wordt niet ondersteund door dit object (DatabaseTab, SchedulePage: 497) [i]- Translation: Method not supported -[/i]
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer
Browser Code Name: Mozilla
Browser Language: nl
Browser Minor Version: 0
Browser Version: 4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30)
Cookies Enabled: true
CPU Class: x86
Date: 1:18:01 12/21/2007
DB File: C:\Program Files\The Tournament Director 2\db/td.db
DB Folder: C:\Program Files\The Tournament Director 2\db
Home: C:\Program Files\The Tournament Director 2
JScript Build: 5730
JScript Version: 5.7
Media Player Version: 11.0.5721.5230
Online: true
Platform: Win32
System Language: nl
TD Version: 2.5.b1
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30)
User Language: nl

Yes, it works.  The error occurs calling a "listener" that listens for changes to the database.  So, the database update occurs, but calling the listener fails.  So while annoying, it can be ignored (but will obviously be fixed).

Suggestion:
Setup window runs on laptop, so would be nice if windowed, but info screens are on 2nd so these i would like Fullscreen. Now i need to make a selection for both and can not independent.

Not sure what you mean.  The "game" window (the one that displays the Tournament/Player Rankings/Seating Chart/etc screens) will open either windowed or full-screen, depending on your preference (selected on the Preferences tab).  The "Settings" dialog always opens in a window.

Q1:
How to empty database? I've got many test "not finished" tournaments in there i like to empty this.

I don't think "empty the database" is what you want.  The database actually only holds players, leagues, and seasons.  Your tournaments are saved in individual files.  If you've got some saved tournament files where the tournaments were never completed, you can just delete those files yourself.  On the Stats tab, after you've refreshed your tournaments, press the Info button.  Here you can see which tournaments are "incomplete" and see the full path to the tournament file, so you can know which files to delete.  You'll have to delete them yourself with Windows Explorer.

If first run works okay Saterday, i'll send to money for license on monday!

With regards, A happy new client.

Thank you for your feedback.

The_Duke

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 06:43:52 AM »
When you press "Move to extended screen", it reads the screen dimension values for the extended screen that you have set.  It will default them to the same values as your main screen, so if you didn't set them, they would have been defaulted to 1440x900.  That said, if you did set them, I wonder if for some reason it didn't properly read them...  Not really sure what may have happened.
I have set the dimensions.
Will do some further testing and let you know if in next beta this still happens.

Suggestion:

Not sure what you mean.  The "game" window (the one that displays the Tournament/Player Rankings/Seating Chart/etc screens) will open either windowed or full-screen, depending on your preference (selected on the Preferences tab).  The "Settings" dialog always opens in a window.
You say that "settings" screen is independent of the fullscreen setting and allway's windowed, but it's not like that.
When in preferences set "Fullscreen ON" then also the settings screen is Fullscreen on my laptop.
I can not get the "settings" windowed while at the same time "game" fullscreen.
They are now allways BOTH fullscreen, or BOTH windowed... Depending on the fullscreen option in settings.

I hope i'll made it more clear now, i struggle a bit with the english here...

EDIT: Just installed beta2 and now settings is windowed while game is fullscreen!
Don't know if it comes because I changed some things while testing or that beta2 solved it, but it's good now, thnx!

Thnx for your answers and solution to clear some test tournaments.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 06:53:53 AM by The_Duke »