Author Topic: ADD Loyalty Points, 4th & 5th place, HELP with points algorithm ?  (Read 2172 times)

hungry80

• Poker Mania @ The PO
    • View Profile
    • Poker Mania on FaceBook !
Hi All,

running latest version 2.5.8

I am a paid commercial registered software user ( CClayton ), our poker league is www.pokermania.com.au , we run 7 nights per week freeroll entry.

I have some needs for our league which I can't seem to solve or work out myself, could someone please help?

A. Our season goes for 16 weeks. However we also run a monthly competition 4 times within a season. We give seperate points both for game position and for loyalty as described below:
Game points are only awarded for the monthly competition, no game points for an overall season.

We require the ability to input 2 types of points.

GAME points for the monthly tournament, which is reset back to zero at the start of the next month. I need to extract points daily to put up on the website.
LOYALTY points, which lasts for the entire 16 week season, a player recieves one loyalty point each time they fill thier drink card and hand it in. I need to extract loyalty points once per week to put up on the website.

How can I set up this system so the 2 remain seperate and independent of each other?

B. Game formula. We are using the standard formula of  round(10 * sqrt(n) / sqrt(r) - 9

Can someone tell me in plain english what this formula actualy does  in plain english so I can put it in the rules?

Also I need to give DOUBLE POINTS 1 night per week, how do I alter the formula to award this?

C. We pay 4th and 5th place, is there a way to display this in the stats? I can only see 1,2,3.? not so important if it can't be done.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark Anderson
Manager
Poker Mania @ The Post Office Hotel
Maryborough
Qld, Australia

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: ADD Loyalty Points, 4th & 5th place, HELP with points algorithm ?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 11:02:51 AM »
(A) The problem with this is that there's only 1 "points" input for players.  I can't seem to come up with anything.  I think you might have to keep track of the loyalty points outside of the software.

(B) The formula assigns points on an exponential scale (I think), meaning the higher you rank, the greater the points increase over the next lower ranked person.  Because the points are rounded, it isn't immediately obvious, but if you graph the points given for each rank you'll see a curve where the slope gets steeper as you approach 1st place.  For example, for a 25-player tournament, the top 10 ranks get:

1st   41
2nd   26
3rd   20
4th   16
5th   13
6th   11
7th   10
8th    9
9th    8
10th   7

6th gets 1 more point then 7th, 5th gets 2 more points then 6th, 4th gets 3 more points then 5th, 3rd gets 4 more points than 4th, 2nd gets 6 more points than 3rd, and 1st gets 15 more points than 2nd.

For double points, just add "* 2":

round(10 * sqrt(n) / sqrt(r) - 9) * 2

(C) Not at the moment.  The ability to see number of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishes is "hard-coded" into the software.  I'll have to add the ability to have additional columns (it is on the list).

hungry80

• Poker Mania @ The PO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 11:13:15 AM »
Hi Corey,

How easily and quickly could you add a second points entry to TD?

I am totally stuck and really need to record our loyalty points within TD.

I would be willing to pay a fee for service.

Please help!

Cheers,

Mark
Mark Anderson
Manager
Maryborough
Qld, Australia

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 11:38:39 AM »
Neither quickly nor easily, unfortunately.  Features are decided (usually) by audience benefit, or ease and simplicity of implementation.  Adding another "points" field would mean a lot of code in a lot of places, lots of UI changes, and I'm not sure how many other users would really benefit from it...

hungry80

• Poker Mania @ The PO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 11:53:12 AM »
Neither quickly nor easily, unfortunately.  Features are decided (usually) by audience benefit, or ease and simplicity of implementation.  Adding another "points" field would mean a lot of code in a lot of places, lots of UI changes, and I'm not sure how many other users would really benefit from it...

OK,

Is this a possible workaround.............

Maybe I could have 2 copies of the game. We save as a date, from a template saved as "start game".
If I set up the game using the standard points formula and allocate it to "july09" league.
Then BEFORE starting he game, I save a copy, then in the copy delete the formula, change the league to "Quarter3-09". I would not require any results in this game, just the ability to record loyalty points, which I do by ajusting the points by +1 for each player.

The only question I have is as to data storage............will TD try and pick up points from both leagues if the files are stored in the same folder? Or will it keep them separate, as the leagues are different?

Maybe you can take this workaround a step further by suggesting implementation steps or better idea?

Cheers,

Mark

PS. I will stay up for your reply it is 2.52am here in Australia

Mark Anderson
Manager
Maryborough
Qld, Australia

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 06:09:20 PM »
Maybe I could have 2 copies of the game. We save as a date, from a template saved as "start game".
If I set up the game using the standard points formula and allocate it to "july09" league.
Then BEFORE starting he game, I save a copy, then in the copy delete the formula, change the league to "Quarter3-09". I would not require any results in this game, just the ability to record loyalty points, which I do by ajusting the points by +1 for each player.

If you are going to that trouble, I would simply keep a running spreadsheet for the loyalty points. Seems a lot easier. You can export your players and import them into excel then have columns for each game with a total displayed. Easy to sort by points / name etc.
My League Website - Joomla Component for TD. Now available for Joomla 1.5, 1.7 & 2.5

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 09:22:56 AM »
I would agree with johno69, but to follow up on your scenario:

- Stats are generated from folders set in the "Tournament File Locations" section.  In the next version, I plan to change this so that each filter on the Stats page can have their own folder locations.

- You can use the filter to generate stats only from a particular league.  So it doesn't matter that all of the tournament files are in the same place (and thus picked up by the stats generation), if you tell the filter to filter out all but a specific league, only tournaments of that league will be used.

So, I guess theoretically you could:

1) Create a second league (call it "loyalty" for the sake of example)
2) Add all of your players to the loyalty league
3) Create another tournament, add all players, set it to the loyalty league
4) Buy-in at least 2 players, bust one of them out so the tournament is technically "complete"
5) Use the "points adjustment" (on the Edit Player dialog) to set each player's loyalty points.  If a player's points are adjusted, then they will be counted in stats even if the player didn't participate in the tournament (thus why you don't have to buy everyone in)
6) Create another filter that collects stats only from the loyalty league

The only problem with this is, if you wish to record loyalty points during the tournament, you'll have to have another PC with the other "loyalty" tournament open, because you can't run 2 copies of the TD on the same PC.

Seems like using a spreadsheet, or even a pencil and paper would be easier...