Author Topic: adding players window runs slow (over a minute)  (Read 9776 times)

Guzzler

• View Profile
Re: adding players window runs slow (over a minute)
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 08:46:26 PM »
A few more updates for you Corey...

I have ~1800 players in my database.  My "Add Player" windows takes about 8-10 seconds to search for a player, which I can certainly live with.

I did have KB3038314 installed, and uninstalled it along with all my others updates as I said above to get the program to work.  So I agree with you that this update could very well be the issue.  I am running Windows 8.1

Sorry about all the "updates" I'm posting here - I'm just trying to give you as much info as I can to help resolve the issue.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 10:30:17 AM »
Sorry about all the "updates" I'm posting here - I'm just trying to give you as much info as I can to help resolve the issue.

Please don't apologize, and keep the updates coming.  More information is better.

With KB3038314 installed, and 1000 players in my database, to display the Add Players to Tournament dialog takes about 30 to 40 seconds.  With KB3038314 removed, it drops to a negligible amount of time.

Disregarding KB3038314, search time is going to vary based on your PC.  Eight to 10 seconds for a database with 1800 players seems a bit long, but not outrageous.  On my PC with a database of 5500 players, it takes 3 to 4 seconds to search.  But it's a fairly beefy desktop PC.

The version of the TD can make a difference, too.  In version 3.3 I added caching to the database.  Previously if you had anything other than name fields displayed on the database tab, for example, and you search, it could take a long time.  In version 3.3, the individual database files are cached in memory and searching was sped up pretty significantly.  This is true on for just about any player listing where any personal data fields beyond name are displayed (Phone, Address, ID, etc).

Kerry George DeVore

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 07:25:49 PM »
As usual good work Corey and thanks

itchn4trbl

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 02:52:49 PM »
Hey Corey,

I have a db of 550
my computer should not be and issue I am running I7 with 12g ram and a ssd hd
I have uninstalled the update as instructed and am still getting 20-30 sec delay when opening the player data base
I am using 3.3 everything is up to date on my system and programs

I love the program and have been using it for years but this delay is killing me especially trying to register large tournaments

any further thoughts or suggestions

thanks
Brent B

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 02:23:14 PM »
A database of 550 shouldn't cause any problems.  I suspect it is something else - perhaps the update wasn't properly removed?  You could try installing that update again and then removing it.  Theoretically that shouldn't change anything, but it could fix the issue if it wasn't properly removed the first time.  But that's just wild speculation.

begodon

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 05:09:32 PM »
I had the update removed and it solved the problem around 15 days ago. But now the same problem is back to hunt me, my database has 1100 players, my notebook is brand new with enought speed to run to this database. I haven't installed any new programs, idk what's causing the problem. It's taking ages to load the database to buy in a player.

Can you help me Corey?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 10:57:52 AM »
Yes, I just got word yesterday that a new update may have essentially re-installed the offending update.  Originally KB3038314 was the problem.  And removing it fixed the problem.  But KB3038314 also had another issue, in that it failed to installed with an error code for some people.  So Microsoft fixed the install error, repackaged it, and included it with a new update: KB3049563.

So, I'm going to update the main topic regarding this.  I think the short is answer is look for KB3038314 and see if it was installed again.  If so, remove it again.  If you can't find it, look for KB3049563.  If that's there, remove it.  Hopefully this will fix the problem.

One other way this can happen is if you remove the KB3038314 (or any update, for that matter), Windows may decide later you don't have it an install it again.  To prevent this, you have to "hide" the update.  This is a little trickier, especially if you have Windows configured to automatically download AND install updates.  Personally, I have Windows Update configured to automatically download updates, but NOT install them.  Once downloaded, the little "update" icon in the system toolbar appears and I get notified there are updates to install.  Then I can view the updates, select or deselect any of them, and choose when to install them.  More importantly, I can "Hide" a pending update.  To do this, you just look for the update in the list of updates to be installed, right-click, and select "Hide update".  This will prevent it from ever being installed.  There's a link there, too, to "Restore hidden updates" if you ever change your mind.

Here's the main topic, which I'll update today: http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=5015.0

begodon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2015, 08:39:38 PM »
The removal of KB3049563 solved the problem, the 60s lag is gone. It's still lagging about 2s,but nothing i can't live with.