Author Topic: SOLVED!!! - I'm obviously missing something!!!  (Read 7629 times)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: I'm obviously missing something!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 09:38:38 AM »
The screen resolution should not matter.  However, that doesn't mean it won't - it could easily be an Internet Explorer quirk.

Have you tried setting the background of one of the cells to that particular image?  Just to see if it will show up at all...

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 06:45:39 AM »
I get the white background when trying to display that background too... I have a 22" widescreen monitor and I'm hooked up to my TV... display resolutions are: Monitor 1680 by 1050 and tv 1024 by 768...

When the TD is set for my monitor, the picture is somewhat too small and I get a white background around it but I can still see the background... When I put it to my tv, all  I got was white background... I resized the pic to fit tv and everything worked

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 07:03:43 AM »
I tried it on my Vista laptop, with a 1280x800 display.  Installed the BPC UltraDeluxe layout, loaded it into the TD, and the background image showed up right away.

I think this could be an IE quirk, and it's possible it behaves differently on different PCs.  I would go with Phaze's suggestion and resize the image to more fit your screen resolution.  It's worth a try.

Jolly Bodger

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 09:35:58 AM »
Well I think I've just about done with this >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I tried reducing the background down in stages right down to 800x500. I tried setting every row, column and cell to the backgroumd jpeg. I wondered about an Internet Explorer issue so I downloaded the latest service pack 3 for XP and then tried all of the above again.

NOTHING HAS WORKED - I am now just getting angry and frustrated!

JB

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: SOLVED!!! - I'm obviously missing something!!!
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 04:56:16 PM »
Still messing about with this program deciding if it's for me.

Loaded it onto my desk top did a couple of fancy layouts based on the BPC_UltraDeluxe layout. After some help from here I got it working great.

Now the problem - I loaded TD2 onto my laptop and I can't persuade the BPC layout to work I just keep getting a white screen. I took great care to copy all the files over correctly.

Even reloading the layout into a saved tournament doesn't work.

JB

I’m one of those kinds of people that just can’t leave things alone. This problem has REALLY bugged me – because there seems no reason why the Laptop should work any differently to the Desktop. I am certainly no technical guru, I’m more like those ‘dangerous’ people with a little knowledge.

I have however found the solution, even though I still don’t know why this works!!!

When TD is installed it creates a ‘Data’ folder on the ‘C’ drive in ‘My Documents’  and I’m sure I read on this forum somewhere that all images should be placed in that folder. WRONG! The clue was that every time I checked the layout it said it could not find the images even though the path was correct and it displayed in the background dialog box. As soon as I moved the images onto the ‘D’ drive it displayed all the background images perfectly.

Perhaps some technical guru out there might be able to explain it?

If it helps my Laptop is an Acer running XP.

JB

I'm glad you solved this issue.  I know how frustrating it can be.

I still have no idea why your background image didn't display.  But it should not matter where on your hard drive the image is located.  It is definitely a good idea to place your images in the "%MY DOCUMENTS%\The Tournament Director 2\Data" folder, but only because (a) this puts everything in one central location, and (b) this makes the layout portable (you can export it from the Layout tab and put everything in one single ZIP file).  As far as the TD is concerned, your images could be all over your hard drive, and as long as they are referenced properly they should display.

Were they located in "%MY DOCUMENTS%\The Tournament Director 2\Data" on your desktop PC?

VooDoo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 08:30:29 AM »
Just wanted to let you know that I'm encountering the same issue with backgrounds on my Vista laptop but no problems on my XP desktop.

I copied the backgrounds that come with TD2 to my D: drive as indicated by the original poster and it works now on Vista.

On my laptop, the images were originally saved at C:\Users\R&D\Documents\The Tournament Director 2\Data\images...this does not work.
When I copied them to the D: drive, the location was D:\images...and this works.

On my desktop, the images were originally saved at C:\documents and Settings\owner\My Documents\The Tournament Director 2\Data\images....this works.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 10:51:32 AM »
This might have something to do with the ampersand (&) in your user name.  Just a guess, IE might not like that in the path.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 10:29:40 AM »
Corey, ampersands, from what I can know, should not affect anything. I've been to a few sites where the main site doesn't have one, but through clicking links and whatnot, one becomes apart of the web address, and IE has treated it normally. I don't know if anyone else has had issues, but I can attest to myself NOT having issues with websites with ampersands.

This might have something to do with the ampersand (&) in your user name.  Just a guess, IE might not like that in the path.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 11:07:12 AM »
Key words here: "should not affect anything".  You are correct, ampersands are a valid separator for query variables in URLs, as are semicolons.  I'm simply stating that the way the TD tells IE which background image to use, the ampersand in that path could be an issue.

In fact, I guess I should have just done this before, but I just decided to test this and bingo it does appear to be the problem.  I'll see if I can fix it for 2.6.

VooDoo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 08:42:07 PM »
Yes, the & was the culprit.  I changed users without an & and and everything is fine now.

Thanks!

BTW - I will be purchasing a license as this is a great product Corey.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 10:12:33 AM »
This is fixed for 2.6.