Poll

Do you need a Mac version of Tournament Director?

Yes
6 (46.2%)
No
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Requesting Mac Version  (Read 6435 times)

Chefiori

• View Profile
Requesting Mac Version
« on: June 13, 2010, 09:03:25 AM »
Hi, I have been using Tournament Director 2 for quite a while. As Apple iPhone is slowly converting PC users to Mac, I find the need for Tournament Director Mac version. I hope that the developers will add this version as this will not only increase their market share but will also increase customer loyalty. Thanks...
Chefiori

jumperjeff

• View Profile
Re: Requesting Mac Version
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 04:13:59 PM »
I disagree that owning an iPhone leads to wanting a Mac.  In fact, after using iTunes on my PC I realize how much I can't stand Apple as a company.  They make a good product in the iPhone, but if iTunes is any indication of how Mac software works, I'll never own one.

Chefiori

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 06:28:27 AM »
Honestly, this post is about Mac users needing a Mac version of Tournament Director. This is post is not about which technology is better.

Anyway, I think that to sum up everything something by just looking at one feature is the "best" way that I have ever heard to make decision. I think you should go to the store and find out the facts about Mac and compare it yourself. What I can provide are that: (1) Mac is almost virus-free; (2) battery life can reach 5-6 hours easily, even when you are watching a movie; (3) my girlfriend has been using her Mac for 5 years and the performance is still no deteriorating; (4) you only need low RAM as most Mac software run on low RAM; (5) price-wise, it cost almost the same as other PC or laptops that the performance will deteriorate after 2 years because of viruses, spywares and unknown reasons.

Again, I am writing this post is not to debat about PC vs Mac, is about providing a Mac version of Tournament Director for Mac users. I don't see any good reasons why Mac version of Tournament Director is harmful to anyone, especially the developers. They can get more profits in the long run... Hmm, what am I missing here?
Chefiori

MooseWizard

• View Profile
    • Louisville Poker Society
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 06:53:51 PM »
TD is built on Internet Explorer, so I doubt there is any way it will be ported to Mac.  You could always run it in a Windows virtual machine.
The man, the myth, the moose!

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 01:46:50 AM »
In one of my earlier posts, I noted that I do not trust IE even though security is improving. I also inquired about having a native installation for Linux...cheaper than both Mac and PC, no viruses, and Linux can operate effiicient with as little as 128MB of RAM...and running in a virtual machine still means purchasing a copy of Windows. But this would surely mean rebuilding from the basement up.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 10:16:05 AM »
You guys are right, porting it would require rebuilding from the ground up.  I agree with you about IE, jodybingo, I've been burned too many times with it and I rarely use it anymore - basically only when another browser won't work.  I use Firefox and Chrome.  However, IE has definitely gotten better, and really for everything from rendering, to speed, to compatibility, as well as security.  As far as security and the Tournament Director goes, however, there's no reason not to trust the TD even though it uses IE.  Only local code can be run in the mode the TD runs in (that means only Tournament Director code), and the worst the TD can do is launch IE in another window, and it will only do that when requested, and only pointing to known, safe locations (sites on the Links tab, for example).

Aristipoker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 01:57:34 PM »
That's sad... the only reason to have a virtual machine on my mac is to keep with me TD... maybe one day... I'll be waiting..

AP