Author Topic: Adding players to the Database  (Read 2574 times)

Asegzamfire

• View Profile
Adding players to the Database
« on: October 24, 2012, 09:11:39 AM »
Im using the option in the Players Tab, under DATABASE, the first one is "Add to the Databse players in your current tournament". I found it usefull because the name was turning red when the name is already in the Database. But the problem i found out, it is not looking for identical Players, its just looking for the nickname (correct me if im wrong) So the problem that gave me is that it let me add Identical Player with same ID, first and last name to the Database without noticing it.

Can we have an option is the setting that set what we want this option to check, like check box for each of them, ID, NIck name, first and last name....

I personaly use ID over the name, i would select only the ID and will make sure no duplicate is added. Because im  running with a 10k names Database and going up. Finding duplicate in there is a total waste of time. I know you have the option that tell you that you already have this player in the Database when you enter the new player. But i run the database differently for specific reason. The main one is over 4k of names, TD is becoming slow as hell to search for names.

Is it something that can be done? Because right now im doing everything manualy and it take me time everyday, it would be like seconds with this options on.

Thanks you

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Adding players to the Database
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 11:02:13 AM »
So, let me just clear up the issue.

The software has a "warning" feature when two players either have the same Nickname or the same Firstname AND Lastname combination.  We can call this the "similarity" warning, as the software is attempting to let you know you may be adding the same player that is already in your tournament or database.

You'll see this warning when you add a new player to your tournament or when you edit the player details of a player in your tournament or database.  Likewise, using the "Add to the database players in your current tournament" feature (also on the Players tab), player names will be listed in red if they are "similar" to players in your database.

It sounds to me like you want the "ID" field added to the list of fields checked for similarity.  So, the "similarity" warning would be triggered if:

1) Two players have the same Nickname
2) Two players have the same First name AND Last name
3) Two players have the same ID

Sound right?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 11:39:17 AM »
Forgot to mention, if you're using version 3 you can simply enable "Warn if player ID exists" preference (Settings window -> Preferences tab -> Player Detail Fields section) to get this functionality.  Actually, I can't remember off the top of my head when that feature was added ... I think it was in 2.5.8.

However, I do believe the "Add to the database players in your current tournament" feature might not warn properly for similar IDs.  I'll make a note to look into it.

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 01:20:29 PM »
I hadn't even realized that option was there!

Asegzamfire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 12:28:33 AM »
Im Gonna give you an exemple of a test that i did with multiple Database because its how i am working for my Club

We have Database A, Database B and one tournament.

You open the tournament using Database A, you register a new player. and add him to the Database A.
Nickname: leave it blank
First name: 123
Last Name: 456
ID: 989898

When the Tournament is over,  you want to add all the new name to Database B that is the complet list of players.
So you make active Database B and you load the tournament. This new players is gray, then you use the option in Player Tab (Database) to add him to Database B and look at the list and he is Black so you add him.

Let say for exemple the day after the player is coming back but another person register him and make an error on his name, let's say:
Nickname: leave it blank
First name: 1234

I make the test with first, last and id and not reconize

Nick name as 123 456 in the tourney but not in DB. Dont reconize.

Nickname in the DB and not in Tourney, not reconize.

Nickname: 123 456
First name: 123

in both and now he reconized it, it look like the Program only see the same nickname and not the rest.
The option i need to be honest is just the ID, but having the full option to select any of the field we want would be good.
If needed i can explain  you why im doing it this way.

Having this option will save me a lots of time and money for the club as i don't have to check all new name one by one in Database B and C. When i have 2 new players  its fine but when i have 20.... its another job and it happen often. Being able to use this option correctly would be a Great help.

Thx

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 01:23:43 PM »
Gotcha, I think.  The issue is you rely mainly on ID.  And you also rely mainly on the "Add to the database players in the current tournament" feature.  And the problem is that feature doesn't recognize a player already in the database based on ID, it only recognizes similar players based on Nickname or First name + Last name combination.  So if a player with the same ID is added, and the operator accidentally misspells or mistypes the player's name, then the program doesn't alert you that the player might already be in the database.  If that feature recognized the same ID, your situation would be ... easier.  Is this correct?

So, what I have done is overhaul the whole "try to identify similar players" code.  It's centralized in one place now, and any feature in the program that needs this functionality now uses the same code.  There are a number of places that use this, including: importing players into a tournament, importing players into the database, and adding players to the database from the current tournament.  They all need to identify similar players based on Nickname, First name + Last name combination, and ID.  And since they all now use the same code, now they all do recognize similar players based on ID.

I hope this is what you were looking for.  Even if not, it's good code refactoring.

Asegzamfire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 06:31:06 PM »
Yes this is what i need, For now the Database option in Player only use Nickname to find similar.
You said that i rely only on ID but it happen a couple of time to be that one computer enter a new player in his tournament. When i receive it the Database dont reconize it and the player is in gray in the tournament. But there is one name in the Database that is exactly the same, same first+Last and ID and dont reconized it. The reason why he dosnt see him as the same is the Internal ID is different, even if all the info needed is exactly the same, the Internal is different. That is why i was asking for option to select what you want the program to look for to show you in red the duplicate. But if you think the way you just describe me will work, ill be really happy with that.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 05:02:12 PM »
The Internal ID is THE item that makes players unique.  All other information can be the same as far as the software is concerned.  So yes, if two players had different Internal IDs, they are different players to the software.

But there is one name in the Database that is exactly the same, same first+Last and ID and dont reconized it.

I'm not sure where you're referring to in the software.  But even though the "matching" code isn't terribly robust, it would notice two players having the same first & last name.  It will also match the ID IF the appropriate preference is enabled (except in the "Add to the database players in the current tournament" feature which I mentioned earlier as possibly having a bug regarding this - which it does).  If you're adding players from your current tournament to the database, two players definitely WON'T have the same Internal ID or the software would already think they are the same player, and thus already in the database, and thus wouldn't even show up in the "Add to the database players in the current tournament" dialog.