Author Topic: Points from Prizes and Points for Playing  (Read 4732 times)

jeff b

• View Profile
Points from Prizes and Points for Playing
« on: March 05, 2009, 08:12:50 AM »
If I have a points for playing formula, as well as points that come from bounties on specific players in the Prizes tab, do these points get lumped together into a points total for each player?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Points from Prizes and Points for Playing
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 11:03:12 AM »
Yes.

jeff b

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 09:46:33 AM »
If there is a bounty on a particular player with a prize of some number of points, and that player wins the tournament, are the points automatically awarded to that player since no one knocked him out? What if that player (or multiple players with points bounties on them) is/are involved in a chop? Or are the points just lost since the knockout never actually occurs?

I'm planning on awarding additional points for knocking out the current points standings leaders in our upcoming season, just wondering how the software works by default.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 12:00:18 PM »
If the bounty players wins the tournament, the prize is awarded to her.  More specifically, if the bounty player isn't busted out, then the prize is awarded to her.  So, if the bounty player chops, she is never busted out, so she will win the prize.

jeff b

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 02:08:24 PM »
Ok, thanks. I think we had a discussion a while ago about points from the points for playing formula not showing up in the chop screen. I assume based on what you explained to me then, that these points (since they're from prizes) WOULD show up in the chop screen, correct?

jeff b

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 11:18:53 AM »
I had this question answered for me last night. We had a 300 point bounty on our current season points leader. He and I were the final two and decided to chop at the end, slightly in my favor on the money and 50/50 on the points. However those 300 bounty points did not show up on the prize chop screen, they were just awarded to him.

First, just to confirm, are they supposed to, or would that only be for points awarded based on rank?

If not, then is there a way to adjust it other than on the "Edit Game Player" screen in the "Adjust points by" box? I'm trying to use the override on the prize itself but it doesn't seem like I can award the points to more than one player there. I'd prefer to do it in a way that keeps sort of a trail of what happened to the points. Thanks.

For now, my workaround will be to add another prize and make them both worth 150 points, and override the 2nd one to give myself those points. That will work if there's no better option.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 11:22:26 AM by jeff b »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 03:21:28 PM »
Sorry, appears I missed this post ... two weeks ago.

Only ranked prizes are chopped.  Not sure at this point if I'd call this a bug or not, because I believe there would be some difference of opinion on what should happen with bounty prizes in the case of a chop.

Regardless, if in my tournament there was a bounty on player A, and in the end player A and player B chopped the final two spots, I would probably vote for player A keeping the bounty.  However, if we decided that the bounty should be split between the two players, I would allow the prize to be awarded to player A (because that's what will happen by default), and then I would adjust each player's cash and points by editing them on the Players tab.  That would entail decreasing the points/cash of player A, and increasing the points/cash of player B by the same amount (in order to split the prize).  A slight variation would be to delete the prize and then adjust the points/cash of both players (increasing both by half of the prize amounts).  The only benefit to this is that it doesn't show that player A won a prize that he actually split with player B.  And this isn't a big deal, since actually winning a prize doesn't really mean anything (it's the points and cash associated with the prize that has an effect).  Hope that makes sense.

So there will be a paper trail in that both players will have an adjustment to their points and winnings.  You can also make a note of what you did and why in the Notes section on the Game tab.

jeff b

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 06:02:46 AM »
Well, we did have a difference of opinion on this at first, but it was more about whether the points would be awarded at all if the player either won or chopped (i.e., was not knocked out). I was thinking they should be awarded, and we decided to go with that partly based on how TD handles it.

But I thought it only made sense that if we were going to award them, that the player could chop them. Unless some total restriction on chops has been imposed, I don't see why there should be any restriction on these particular points being split. From the standpoint of the other player, I'd argue that I'm entitled to a portion of those points since I'm foregoing the opportunity to win them.

In any case, what I did in the meantime was just another slight variation on your suggestions. I overrode the amount in the original prize, and created a 2nd prize for that bounty and overrode both the winner and the points. Since I already use the adjustments on the players tab to split the points for playing from the formula that are based on rank, I didn't want to lump these in with those. But I guess as long as I could use the Notes section to keep track of everything, I could simplify things a bit and just do it all on the players tab. Thanks.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 10:26:49 AM »
I like that idea, too, actually.  Because it shows right there in the prizes that you decided to chop the bounty prize.  Of course, I would always record something in the Notes section just in case...

jeff b

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 01:45:05 PM »
I'm wondering if there's any way to show the points from the "bounty on" prizes separately in the Stats. I see a whole bunch of bounty-related columns, but none of them seem to be related to bounty prizes on specific players.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 03:18:03 PM »
Nope, there's no way to show specific prize information in the Stats (bounty prizes are just prizes with a different "recipient").  The bounty fields on the Stats are referring to bounty chips.