Author Topic: NEED HELP: 1 Year League Tournament Play Scoring/Points  (Read 1659 times)

bfcadmin

• View Profile
    • Fight Club
NEED HELP: 1 Year League Tournament Play Scoring/Points
« on: January 03, 2009, 08:24:31 PM »
I have a League starting on the 10th and need some help in resolving some questions.

2 10 man tables, so we will have a Final Table, and then 4-6 placement payouts depending on that nights attendance counts.

1) If I understand it correctly I should not use the Points under the Game Tab, rather the Tournament & OverAll Scoring under the Stats Tab , is this correct?

2) I am giving points for Buy-Ins 25 pts, Kills or Hits 10 pts, Final Table 10 pts and Finish (placement) 10-1 (?), and subtracting points for Re-buys -5 points. I have a minmum participation qualifier for the Final Table, they must have played in 75 or 80% of the 23 games to play in the Final. Or I can do a Points/OverAll Score minimum. Which is better? And can I get help in the form of a formula for either? And where would I place this?

3) Do I need a forlmula in both the Tournament Scoring and OverAll Scoring or can one do everything?

4) I like the idea of scratching the High & Low Tournament for each player over the year, and if this shortens our FT count (lesser than ten players) that is okay. Any thoughts? If I use this I would need this formula as well.

Thank you much in advance. Any chance ther will be an Affiliate Program with this software?

Scott
http://fightclub-aka-homepokergame.blogspot.com/ aka Fight Club
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 10:14:46 AM by bfcadmin »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: NEED HELP: 1 Year League Tournament Play Scoring/Points
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 12:52:53 PM »
1) If I understand it correctly I should not use the Points under the Game Tab, rather the Tournament & OverAll Scoring under the Stats Tab , is this correct?

Depends on what you want to do.  Points are used in many ways, but essentially they are values earned by players participating in tournaments.  They are accumulated from one tournament to another.  How they are earned and ultimately used is up to the league.  But think of Points as simply an accumulating earned value.  They typically don't change once a tournament is over.  (Of course you can always load a saved tournament and modify anything.)

Scoring is a way to calculate a score for a player over a series of tournaments.  The idea is that you first determine a way to score a player in a tournament, and then you determine a way to combine those scores over a series of tournaments to arrive at an Overall Score.

Scoring *can be* very similar to Points.  Actually, you can configure your scoring formulas to exactly mimic points, if that's what you want to do.  You would simply create a Tournament Scoring formula that mimics how Points are awarded.  Then create an Overall Scoring formula that simply sums up the scores.  Done.

Some major differences:

- The way Points are earned can be different from tournament to tournament.  The Tournament Scoring formula creates a Score using the same formula for every tournament to which it is applied.
- To change the way Points were earned for a tournament, you must load the tournament, make changes, and re-save the tournament.  If you wanted to do this for all of your tournaments, you would have to repeat this for each tournament.  With the Tournament Scoring formula, you make one change and it will be applied across all tournaments when you re-run Stats.
- The Overall Scoring formula allows you to apply complicated formulas for combining tournament scores.  Points are simply summed across tournaments.

2) I am giving points for Buy-Ins 25 pts, Kills or Hits 10 pts, Final Table 10 pts and Finish (placement) 10-1 (?), and subtracting points for Re-buys -5 points. I have a minmum participation qualifier for the Final Table, they must have played in 75 or 80% of the 23 games to play in the Final. Or I can do a Points/OverAll Score minimum. Which is better? And can I get help in the form of a formula for either? And where would I place this?

I (as well as others) will be happy to help you with your formula.  I'm much better at debugging your formula than coming up with the right formula for your tournaments...

3) Do I need a forlmula in both the Tournament Scoring and OverAll Scoring or can one do everything?

You need both.  As noted before, one creates the scores and the other combines them.

bfcadmin

• View Profile
    • Fight Club
Re: NEED HELP: 1 Year League Tournament Play Scoring/Points
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 01:13:03 PM »
Thanks for the quick response. I'll see what I can create as far asa formula (zero confidence) and then follow-up.

Scott