Author Topic: League help  (Read 3889 times)

bmontana33

• View Profile
League help
« on: August 21, 2012, 11:09:27 AM »
Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of starting up a league...nothing huge just 1-2 tables once a month. I'm pretty sure I've figured out my scoring system, but I need help with the forumula for td3. I know the general formula of (n-r+1) or in my case 10*(n-r+1), but need help with the rest. Also, I created a website to keep track of the leaders for player of the year points, is there a way for td3 to automatically update the website after each tournament ends?

- Player of the Year points are calculated as described below:
    - General Formula: 10*(Number of players – rank +1)
    - Bonus for in the money: 10*(Number of players in the money-rank+1)
    - For rebuy tourneys: -10 points per rebuy/add-on
    - For bounty tourneys: +10 per knock-out
    - You can never receive lower than 0 points for tourney
    - Top 10 out of 13 event scores for each league member counts towards Player of the Year rankings

Thanks.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: League help
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 05:37:40 PM »
For this, I believe your Tournament Score formula should be:

max(0, (10 * (n - r + 1)) + if(inTheMoney, 10 * (inTheMoneyRank - r + 1)) - (10 * (numberOfAddOns + numberOfRebuys)) + (10 * numberOfHits))

And your Overall Score formula should be:

sum(top(10, scores))

bmontana33

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 01:37:32 AM »
thanks corey, although a little crazy looking, it looks like it should work  :). I just don't have all the formula writing experience as you with this program. I'll have to test it out before the league (which I have time). Also, in the case of this formula what would happen if 2 or more players are knocked out on the same hand. Lets just say for simple math 10 person tourney with no rebuys or bountys. 3 people get knocked out on first hand. 10th place (10 points) 9th place (20 points) and 8th place (30 points) would be normal. So would all 3 players receive 8th place points (30 points) or would the points be averaged (60 points between 10-8th place/3 = 20 points each).

Now I just have to figure out the whole export data thing and hopefully have it update to my website through html...I think. This isn't my strongest suit.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:09:12 AM by bmontana33 »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 10:14:12 AM »
Depends on how you knock them out.  If you bust them out together, then they all receive the same rank (8th).  Thus, for the purposes of formulas, each player's rank variable (or r) will be 8, and thus the points will also be the same.

But you can also bust them out separately if you want them ranked separately.  Just bust one player out and then immediately bust the next player out.  Personally, I like this method because I feel in most situations one of the players should probably be ranked higher than the other.  Such as when one player had more chips at the start of the hand.  Of course, in your example both players most likely would have had the same number of chips.

There's a third option, but it probably doesn't buy you much.  Whenever you bust players out at the same time, all of the players busted out are part of a "chop".  Chops usually occur near the end of a tournament (mostly as the last act in a tournament) when the players decide to end the tournament and divide up the prizes a little differently.  But internally, the TD software always creates a chop when players bust out at the same time, even when no prizes are involved.  You can edit the chop (on the Prizes tab) and change the player rankings.  To use your example, you could modify the chop so that the players rank 8th, 9th, and 10th instead of all ranking 8th (or change it so that two players rank 8th and one ranks 10th, or change it so that one player ranks 8th and two rank 9th).

bmontana33

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 10:51:19 AM »
Thanks Corey. It's fine that in that example that they all receive 8th place points. I just wanted to confirm.

mwendorf3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 06:44:58 PM »
Just taking my first crack at the software and I must say, I like what I see..

I'm doing something similar to this here were we want to keep track of total points but for the points title, we only want the top 10 of the total 12 points to finish.  This sum(top(10, scores)) would work, but my question is how could we do it where instead of saying top 10, which wouldn't drop a tournament until you actually finished the 11th tournament.  What I tried was using the if statement to say if the number of tournaments was less than 5, then count all the tournaments.  Once we got to our sixth tournament, I'd like to start dropping the bottom two.

For example, this is what I'm thinking, but this doesn't seem to ever evaluate true no matter what in the Overall Score Formula test screen:

if ( n < 5 , assign("c", n),assign("c", n - 2))
sum(top(c, scores))

No matter the value of N it always evaluates C to the value of n - 2.  Any suggestions that anyone can help with??  Thanks.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 11:22:43 PM »
Try:

sum(top(max(4, n - 2), scores))

max() returns the maximum of two numbers (actually as many numbers as you want to put in there), so this will always count at least 4 tournaments.  Replace 4 with whatever the minimum number of tournaments to count is.

mwendorf3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 08:48:40 PM »
Thanks Man..  Exactly what I was looking for.