Author Topic: Latency  (Read 12890 times)

Whiterhino

• View Profile
Re: Latency
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2016, 04:53:01 PM »
Any news on this issue, it is becoming increasingly frustrating...

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2016, 03:20:36 PM »
I wish there were, but no, I still do not know what is causing the issue.  My upgraded image was basically bare (stock Windows install with no applications, patches, or anything installed), so it seems unlikely it is a 3rd-party software conflict.  But something is definitely different between a Windows 10 install and a Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade.  I'm hoping a Windows patch will fix it, but that becomes less likely every day.

Whiterhino

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2016, 04:32:51 AM »
Ok thanks for the reply, here's hoping. Interestingly my daughter has a laptop which was a 7 to 10 upgrade and I installed TD on there as an experiment. No latency at all, how frustrating. It's the same windows build number as my PC and the only things that I can imagine being different are the fundamental set up, she is disabled and we got the laptop through an agency and there are limited changes that you can make to the settings as the user is not an administrator, above that I'm utterly baffled. I mean could be a chipset issue? ie VIA/Intel something along those lines ?

bsdunbar1

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2016, 09:23:53 PM »
For what it is worth I downloaded the beta version today and am experiencing this exact same issue. There is no way you can type normally. Just about every click requires you to click two or three times, if you have to click or type multiple times you have to wait a couple of seconds before each transaction.
I too am running windows 10, I believe this laptop came OE with Window 7 or 8. I have no other performance issue with any other app or program.

Thanks
Bill

Al1_fr78

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2016, 10:48:28 AM »
Same issue here, for about 4 months I can't use TD properly on my laptop :(

I use it on another one, to bad :(

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2016, 03:09:11 PM »
With the latest Windows 10 update (KB3194496) I was hoping a fix would have been provided.  I did hear from one user that the update did fix this problem.  I let KB3194496 install on my Windows 10 PC, but it did not fix it.  Yet another user had multiple problems result from KB3194496, yet uninstalling the patch fixed all of them, including this issue.

Results are clearly mixed.  Your mileage may vary.  The knowledge base page (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3194496) says the fix "includes improvements and fixes to enhance the functionality of Windows 10", and doesn't mention security fixes.  Therefore I think it's safe to install and/or remove it if necessary without compromising the security of Windows.

Kerry George DeVore

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2016, 09:45:44 PM »
You can add me to the latency problem, Corey. Same thing as the others. Have to hit button numerous times to get it to work. I am running Windows 10 with latest updates included. No other programs are running. Currently i can't even load a game but i can exit the program and other buttons work although I have to hit/click several times. I'll keep checking the forum to see if you find out anything

Kerry George DeVore

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2016, 12:33:59 AM »
I have been unable to load/save/save as or even export my database. For all practical purposes MS has rendered TD 3 inoperable. I hope you can find an answer soon because I think you will be hearing from more and more users about this.

Silver Owl

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2016, 07:18:42 AM »
I have been unable to load/save/save as or even export my database. For all practical purposes MS has rendered TD 3 inoperable. I hope you can find an answer soon because I think you will be hearing from more and more users about this.

Kerry, Something that has worked for me is to go to your saved tournaments folder and right click a saved tournament and start TD that way. For whatever reason the load/save buttons work for me when I start TD this way. Hope that helps.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2016, 07:57:44 AM »
The Load/Save button is actually a separate issue.  I've addressed that in the upcoming version 3.4 (a bandaid fix for it, but it will do the trick).  You can get that fix by upgrading to the current beta version (3.4 beta 2).  You can download the beta version from the forums: http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=5161.0

Kerry George DeVore

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2016, 05:48:43 PM »
Loading directly from the save folder did not change my problem. However, loading the beta version did. Although it still has the latency problem but at least I'm up and flying.

stickyshed

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2017, 12:21:53 PM »
I know, it's without doubt the best tourney management software I've seen. I just can't use it.

Plus, the evaluation period has expired so I can't do anything with it to see what might make a difference.

Corey, given my last post on this subject (above), I'm just letting you know I had a windows update last night and I thought I'd try the TD software to see what happened (had forgotten the evaluation period had expired). As luck would have it, the EP was reset to 30 days.

The above latency was greatly reduced to the point where the software was actually useable. It was still slow in some places (clicking on players to rebuy took a while, that sort of thing), but on the whole, acceptable.

This morning, I updated to the latest Beta version.

Any and every latency issue disappeared. Given the nature of software and hardware, I can't 100% say the two are linked but if anyone still has issues I'd recommend they update to the latest Beta if they haven't already.

Great job on this software BTW, easily the most powerful out there.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2017, 08:51:45 PM »
Thanks so much for the update.  The latest beta does have an update that hopefully fixes the issue for most people.  The next step will be to just move away from the abandoned framework that the application is currently based on.  3.4 is ridiculously close to complete and I can't wait to finish it so I can get started on the move.

As for the resetting of the evaluation period: it seems Microsoft has taken to cleaning up quite a bit for their big updates.  It's a little frustrating but not the end of the world.  Some people will get extra time to check out the application.  I'm OK with that.

Thanks again for the info!

stickyshed

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2017, 05:54:17 AM »
Quote:As for the resetting of the evaluation period: it seems Microsoft has taken to cleaning up quite a bit for their big updates.  It's a little frustrating but not the end of the world.  Some people will get extra time to check out the application.  I'm OK with that.

Put it this way - if it hadn't reset the evaluation period I wouldn't be here now saying how great your software works :)

Interested to see what happens with my other laptop (that one doesn't have the "workaround" applied to it) when I update...

Whiterhino

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2017, 03:48:23 AM »
It's back..... since Windows update the dreaded latency is back..... will try workaround again.