Author Topic: Sync  (Read 3292 times)

Jonas

• View Profile
Sync
« on: May 06, 2009, 02:07:15 AM »
Various "sync" topics has been disucussed before, but for me the backup/restore variant is not quite doing it - and I also have problems copying the entire folder structure since the two computers I'm running TD on has different folder structures. On computer A the program is installed on D: while on computer B it's installed on C:. By copying the folders I end up with some problems finding sounds and images on one of the computers.

I'm trying to set up a system where the computer last used (two venues - never used in paralell) is "copied" over to the second. The best thing would of course bed a "sync" button, but could anyone give me a good list on how to do this manually - with the various disc-placement in mind?

PS! I still love the program and I can't wait til version 3 so I can pay you some more ;-)

mrticsay

• View Profile
Re: Sync
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 09:38:08 AM »
The new data stores feature is one way to deal with this (lots of scenarios on how to use it).

Another approach is to put all the files on a flash drive and carry the flash drive from computer to computer (and have the data store on each computer point to the flash drive).  That's the method I've started using and you don't have to worry about copying files at all.

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 10:10:23 AM »
I would love a sync feature.

I am using one PC for all tournaments, but would like to introduce a 2nd. But then the issue is players who are in our database would not be in both databases etc etc.

If we ended up having a tourney on the same night with each PC and we had new players at both places, how could you sync?
My League Website - Joomla Component for TD. Now available for Joomla 1.5, 1.7 & 2.5

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 04:58:56 PM »
If you store additional information, like address or phone or email, then there's no true way to sync.  If you don't care about that information, and you just want to make sure you have the *same* players in the main database, then on the "main" PC load the tournament played on the 2nd PC, go to the Players tab, and press the "Add all to DB" button.  This will allow you to add to your database players in the tournament who aren't already there.

Jonas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 04:41:06 AM »
@mrtiscay - great idea with the flashdrive-system! I think I'll try that one out for size!

Mecheng

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 10:42:20 PM »
Three of us are involved in running 2 weekly tournaments. All three of us have purchased our own copies of TD and use our own laptop computers to run tournaments. In addition I am running my program on my desk top where I run most of the summaries and print outs. I need compatibility between 4 computers.

Here is what I am planning to do at the start of 2010 to sync all four computers:

1 – Put all of the old information (tournaments, templates, player data base, etc) in a separate file or on a flash drive so that if necessary I can run the old tournaments to retrieve information from past tournaments.

2 - Set up the main player data base on my desk top computer and erase the player data base on the other three computers.

3 – Copy the player data base from the desk top to the other three computers.

4 – Set up leagues, seasons and enter new players on only one computer. Use actual or dummy tournaments to add leagues, seasons and new players to the other three computers.

5 – Manually update player information in the main player data base so all player information is in one place.

Will this work? Any suggestions for improving the plan?

Corey - Great program, keep up the good work.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 12:03:29 PM »
If I were doing this, I would:

- Use the Desktop PC as "the master" copy.  So get your database set up properly there first.

- Before each use of the laptops for running tournaments, update the laptops with a copy of the master database.  You can just copy the "db" folder from the desktop PC to the correct place on the laptops, or you can use the Backup and Restore features built into the software.  Either will accomplish the same thing.

- When running tournaments on the laptops, definitely use players from the database, and add any new players to the database.

- After running a tournament on the laptop, copy the saved tournament file back to the Desktop PC.  Open the tournament file, go to the Players tab, and press the "Add All to DB" button.  This will add any new players to the master database.

The only issue I see is going to be getting player information changes (for existing players, not new players) from the laptops to the desktop PC.  Since you're only adding new players to the database on the desktop PC, changes to existing players won't get propagated.  You'll have to keep up with those manually.

Mecheng

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 01:12:17 PM »
Thank you very much for your response. I think my internt was very much like your response. Since my last posting, I,m thinking about settng the lap tops up to run the tournments from a flash drive.  That automatically syncs the threee laptops and I only have to sync the flash drive and my desk top.

Again, Thanks for the response and keep up the good work.

mecheng