Author Topic: Best way to handle this point adjustment  (Read 1335 times)

Wick

• View Profile
Best way to handle this point adjustment
« on: November 03, 2013, 03:10:04 PM »
I run a league that has 8 games and you get to drop two scores. We just finished game two for this season and I had a guy who has only played one other time (last year). I asked before the tournament if is was going to join the league and he said no.

Well he ended up winning and asked me "how much to join the league?". I told him a $100 but, he would have to take a zero for tonight. After explaining what that meant, and why, he said ok and gave me the $100.

So now if I add him to the league it will calculate points for the last game and if I don't add him it will not calculate points next time. So I need to zero out his points for game 2 and adjust everyone else's points to what they would have been if he was not in the league.

What is the best way to accomplish this?

Here is the formula used to calculate points: if(inLeague = 1,sqrt(nm*bc)/(leagueRank + 1),0)

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Re: Best way to handle this point adjustment
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 04:54:46 PM »
Two ways that I know of.

1. Leave the tournament alone, with the winner as a non-database player. Then, create the database player, but NOT by merging the player. This will keep his league points at zero, with no other intervention needed.

2. If you have already merged the player, re-load the tournament, and you can manually adjust the points so that he receives zero points for that tournament.

Between the two, I'd personally suggest the first one.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to handle this point adjustment
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 04:05:10 PM »
It depends on a number of factors.

I get that you don't want him to score tournament 2.  And that you want the points to be awarded to everyone in the tournament as if this player was not in the league at the time.  This is important because you have leagueRank in your points formula.

If that were all, I would agree with Magic_fubu's 1st suggestion.  Add the player to the database, but make sure in tournament 2 the player is a non-database player.  You can do this two ways.  (1) Go to the Database tab and just add him as a new player.  This way he isn't tied to the player in tournament 2.  (2) If you've already added the player in tournament 2 to the database (so he appears on the Players tab in normal (not italic) type; that is, as a database player) then edit the player (on the Players tab) and Unmerge.  This removes the tie from the player in the tournament to the player in your database.  Save the tournament after.

But, do you want this player's statistics to include tournament 2?  That would require a different method, especially if you just wanted his tournament count to include tournament 2 for the sake of a statistical score, but not the points he [would have] earned.