Author Topic: Different Screen on Different Displays?  (Read 4430 times)

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Different Screen on Different Displays?
« on: February 14, 2012, 02:03:09 PM »
Does anyone know if I can have the laptop display one screen (like the main screen), while having my extended display show a different screen (like pre-tourney seating)?

I know that with having it set up as duplicate screens, I wouldn't be able to... But what about if I were to have it be extended? If it's not possible right now, which I suspect, would it be feasible to implement if others want it? (Obviously I know that if there's not much of a need, then it won't happen)

Thanks!
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
Re: Different Screen on Different Displays?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 03:30:44 PM »
I think you might be able to achieve this by exporting your screen to html and using a browser to display it on your second screen.
This brings up a question, Mr. Corey. Would it be possible to automatically export to html (as an example, the seating chart) every XX seconds?

The Meal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 03:45:56 PM »
I do it a lot like jodybingo suggests.  What I did was to create an AutoHotKey script to export my players report whenever I bust someone out, which generates a html page that has the points earned by the busted-out player.  It's not flawless, but it does work most of the time.

In my opinion, the place to generate exports like this would be from the events tab actions list.  "When the clock ticks," "Seconds remaining = 0" and similar would allow for periodic exports to html which could then be displayed by a webpage set to auto refresh.

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 03:57:47 PM »
If you use Firefox, install ReloadEvery from the Tools-Add-ons option. Right click on the screen and select ReloadEvery and select a time to refresh the screen. I'm not sure about extensions with any other browsers. If you use another browser, I can build a tiny Flash anmation that will reload the page for you at intervals. In this case you would have to modify the html template you export to first.

The Meal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 09:41:07 PM »
I use "Reloader" as a Chrome extension.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 12:54:38 AM »
Would that even work if there is no wifi??
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

The Meal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 10:04:47 AM »
Sure.  You're exporting to a .html file on that particular machine, and you have a browser on that machine display the page.  Easy peasy.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 10:39:54 AM »
Does anyone know if I can have the laptop display one screen (like the main screen), while having my extended display show a different screen (like pre-tourney seating)?

I know that with having it set up as duplicate screens, I wouldn't be able to... But what about if I were to have it be extended? If it's not possible right now, which I suspect, would it be feasible to implement if others want it? (Obviously I know that if there's not much of a need, then it won't happen)

Thanks!

Would love to do this, it's on the to-do list, and have been mulling it over for some time.  Not only would this be a pretty big change, but there is actually an issue I'm not sure I can work around at this time.  It has to do with opening dialogs, and modal versus modeless dialogs.  Right now, the Settings window opens as a modal dialog over the Game window.  With modal dialogs, you cannot interact with the source window while the modal dialog is open (i.e., you cannot interact with the Game window while the Settings window is open, because the Settings window is a modal dialog).  I would have preferred it be a modeless dialog, which would allow you to interact with either window at the same time (the Help dialog opens this way).  But the limited dialog support in IE makes this impossible.  Once you open a modal dialog over a modeless dialog (in other words, opening a modal dialog from the Settings window, if the Settings window were modeless), everything basically goes to hell.  At least that has been my experience.

But, it could be possible to open other windows as modeless dialogs, and then ensure the Settings window (and any other modal dialogs) open as a child of the main (Game) window.

Like I said, I've been mulling it over.  There would have to be a boatload of changes to support it.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 10:40:33 AM »
I think you might be able to achieve this by exporting your screen to html and using a browser to display it on your second screen.
This brings up a question, Mr. Corey. Would it be possible to automatically export to html (as an example, the seating chart) every XX seconds?

I suppose it could be done as an Event Action type.  I'll make a note.

caeles

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 04:20:54 PM »
This different screen / different displays makes me think of another program I use for my VJ-gigs (Arkaos GrandVJ). Same kindof setup: one screen needed to change what you see on the other screen(s). In here you have the option to put one screen (i.e. 1024x768), across two displays. So it gets stretched, but still looks like normal.

Here, check the youtube-video if interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o1OSOHIWPE&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL482537946953937F (especially have a look at second part (42secs and onwards, where he makes his videos half the size (one on the left/one on the right) but still comes out at full size on the projectors)
Trial version can be downloaded here to have a look a the configurations: http://www.arkaos.net/product/index.php?catid=1&pid=1001&iid=42

So, maybe this will give you the inspiration on tackling the aforementioned obstacle.

Regards