Author Topic: Help with Inserting a cell and giving it attributes  (Read 3952 times)

Mahound

• THE ONLY time i get screwed is when i play poker!
    • View Profile
Help with Inserting a cell and giving it attributes
« on: January 06, 2011, 12:43:23 PM »
 I wanted to put a cell into a lay out.The cell i wanted to put in was the "STARTING CHIPS".

In the box that appeared. the  one i wanted was not there. So i selected the "Chips" Cell. Clicked ok and this inserted that cell into the layout.

Then I opened the cell up . I renamed the cell and the description. Deleted the "Chips" token from the  cell and replaced it with the "starting Chips" Token . Saved it and came out of it. The cell was workin great. But when i looked down at the "Chips" cell, this  had taken on the attributes of the cell i had entered.

I tried to alter the "Chips" cell back to its original attributes, so I altered it, and found that the new cell (Starting Chips) I had made had taken on the "chips" cell attributes .

Obviously doing something wrong but cant understand why?

When you insert a cell into the layout. the option of what token to put in are not the same as when you enter a token from the cells properties box. So how can i insert a cell and give it  a token which is not in the insert cell dialogue box?

Hope you understand this
Mnay thanks in advance

TIMMER

• View Profile
Re: Help with Inserting a cell and giving it attributes
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 01:07:58 PM »
If you have the starting chips on the game tab, filled out. you should see them in the cell  New cell,type in  stating chips  then use token <statingchips>  I use Starting Chips<br><startingchips>      the <br> puts it on top    lol
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 01:44:53 PM by TIMMER »

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 01:25:12 PM »
What I would suggest, is to copy the cell that you want to take the attributes from (chips), and it should allow you to name the new cell (starting chips). From there, edit the new cell, and place it in, and that should work out better in the future for you.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 02:03:48 PM »
WOW, not a big fan of copying other attributes, for a cell when you can make your own, or use tokens, When saving the layout to use again for a new tourney you have to go back and make  changes to fix that cell, if you use both in a layout  BUT hey thats just me
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 02:05:31 PM by TIMMER »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 02:42:49 PM »
What you have noticed is the difference between a Cell and a Cell reference.  The Toolbox lists all of your actual cells.  When you place a cell into a screen, you're actually inserting a reference to that cell.  This allows you to insert the cell multiple times ... on the same screen, or on different screens, without the need to have more than one actual cell.  For example, if my "Starting Chips" cell is important and I have 10 screens that rotate, I can insert that cell (really a reference to the cell) into each screen - I don't have to have 10 "Starting Chips" cells to do that.

When you edit a cell, regardless if you edit it from the Toolbox or from any screen where it has been inserted, you're editing the actual cell.  Thus, your changes will be seen on every screen and in the Toolbox.

You're wanting to have a new cell called Starting Chips.  To do that, create a new cell either from scratch, or by copying an existing cell and making changes.  I would suggest copying an existing cell that is already close to what you want, and modifying the new cell's properties.

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 03:35:53 PM »
Sorry for my stupidness but why copy something thats already there <startingchips> or I'm I missing something  ???  It just seems  to me your taking along ride on a short trip
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 03:56:45 PM by TIMMER »

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 05:57:04 PM »
Timmer, if I'm understanding everything correctly, the "chips" cell is close to what Mahound is looking for, but not quite. If you don't need the "chips" cell, then by all means feel free to modify it. But there's some of us out there that need the "chips" as well as wanting to display the "starting chips" cell, which would need to be created. By copying the "chips" cell, or any other cell similar to it, it allows one to be able to use both. As Corey said, if you modify "Chips" but need two different "chips", then you'd be out of luck for one spot or the other.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 07:05:57 PM »
(
I wanted to put a cell into a lay out.The cell i wanted to put in was the "STARTING CHIPS". In the box that appeared. the  one i wanted was not there. So i selected the "Chips" Cell. Clicked ok and this inserted that cell into the layout.

Then I opened the cell up . I renamed the cell and the description. Deleted the "Chips" token from the  cell and replaced it with the "starting Chips" Token . Saved it and came out of it. The cell was workin great. But when i looked down at the "Chips" cell, this  had taken on the attributes of the cell i had entered.

I tried to alter the "Chips" cell back to its original attributes, so I altered it, and found that the new cell (Starting Chips) I had made had taken on the "chips" cell attributes .

Obviously doing something wrong but cant understand why?

When you insert a cell into the layout. the option of what token to put in are not the same as when you enter a token from the cells properties box. So how can i insert a cell and give it  a token which is not in the insert cell dialogue box?

Hope you understand this
Mnay thanks in advance
So what Im saying is the starting chips is not in the toolbox until you click new cell then type in Startingchips then enter that token in it that is the way im understanding the ( ?? )
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 07:47:38 PM by TIMMER »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 09:28:22 PM »
Creating a new cell from scratch also means you will have to set foreground and background colors, font settings, border setting, background image settings, etc, etc.  And depending on the cell it might have different settings for odd/even rounds, and breaks.  And depending on the cell there might be multiple property groups.  Sometimes it's just easier to copy an existing, similar cell and make a few changes than to create a new cell from scratch.

Mahound

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 05:36:31 AM »
Sorry for my stupidness but why copy something thats already there <startingchips> or I'm I missing something  ???  It just seems  to me your taking along ride on a short trip

The thing is , when you make a new row or column, you have to insert a cell. When you do this a box comes up with 3 options. 1)Add a cell from toolbox,
2) Copy,  and  3) new.
I copied the Chips cell because it had the same attributes, colours fonts, borders, backgrounds etc that were already on the layout I was using.  I thought by changing the cell  name, the token and the decription, that I would be making a new cell, but like i said this also changed the attributes of the cell i had copied.

Later on, (I had printed out the help files)  reading the files.  I  think i finally figured out why this happened after i had finished. I hadn't realised that by just typing in the token <startingchips> would create the one that i wanted. Not that i knew at the time what the token i wanted was. Now I have pulled off a separate list of all the tokens  and what each token does so  that they are at hand for a quick reference. Yes i know now that its easier if you know exactly what you need. But for some one new at this. You dont always know what you need, or what is possible.

Until now i have only made simple layouts.  Only altering layout styles etc, Staying away from altering , adding new cells etc.   I do know that every time i open TD. I might try something and even if it works or not , i learn something new. I try to implement things that i have read in past posts and i learn something new. Great program ,  intimidating if you have no experience on such things a html, xml, photoshop etc. Which i do not have.  Me! i am more of a learn by trial and error person. I can read things and learn but its only by doing things can i begin to fully learn and understand.

Anyway thanks for the replys. maybe the question was a bit simple. But i guess if u never ask a question you never learn.

Cheers

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 05:45:52 AM by Mahound »

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 10:33:30 AM »
Just installed 2.6 beta 4 was using 2.5.10 its a hole new ballgame lots of changes loving it Graet software Corey

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 11:16:32 AM »
One thing that can be confusing, and in reading your post Mahound might be the cause: in 2.6, I added the ability to copy and paste layout items.  This is super convenient if you, for example, want to copy a whole column or row, or screen and paste it somewhere else.  This should not be confused with the option to "Copy" a cell when you choose to insert a new cell.

Like I said in my previous post, cells in the Toolbox are the real cells, those in your layout are actually references to the cell.  So if you right-click on the "Prizes" cell and select "Copy", you can then right-click somewhere else in the layout and select "Paste".  This will make a copy of that cell reference and insert it into the layout.  Basically, you have 2 "Prizes" cells in the layout.  But they just reference the REAL Prizes cell in the Toolbox.  So if you make a change to any of them (either of the 2 in your layout or the one in the Toolbox), you're making changes to the real cell, and those changes will be reflected in each of those 3 places.

When you choose to Insert a new cell, and select "Copy" in the dialog that opens, this will create a new cell (not just a reference) that is a copy of the selected cell.  You will see this new cell show up in the Toolbox, and a reference to it will be inserted into your layout where you right-clicked and selected "Insert cell".

I really don't think I am explaining this very well, but I hope it helps nonetheless.

Mahound

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 06:27:29 AM »
One thing that can be confusing, and in reading your post Mahound might be the cause: in 2.6, I added the ability to copy and paste layout items.  This is super convenient if you, for example, want to copy a whole column or row, or screen and paste it somewhere else.  This should not be confused with the option to "Copy" a cell when you choose to insert a new cell.

Like I said in my previous post, cells in the Toolbox are the real cells, those in your layout are actually references to the cell.  So if you right-click on the "Prizes" cell and select "Copy", you can then right-click somewhere else in the layout and select "Paste".  This will make a copy of that cell reference and insert it into the layout.  Basically, you have 2 "Prizes" cells in the layout.  But they just reference the REAL Prizes cell in the Toolbox.  So if you make a change to any of them (either of the 2 in your layout or the one in the Toolbox), you're making changes to the real cell, and those changes will be reflected in each of those 3 places.

When you choose to Insert a new cell, and select "Copy" in the dialog that opens, this will create a new cell (not just a reference) that is a copy of the selected cell.  You will see this new cell show up in the Toolbox, and a reference to it will be inserted into your layout where you right-clicked and selected "Insert cell".

I really don't think I am explaining this very well, but I hope it helps nonetheless.

Yes got it now, I hope.  So what i was doing was like (in windows) making a shortcut of a shortcut , thinking i was changing the original

I think I get it, getting there slowly.  Thanks for the patience