Author Topic: Non-League players playing in League games  (Read 2089 times)

BTime1

• View Profile
Non-League players playing in League games
« on: March 25, 2007, 02:16:44 PM »
First off, I'd just like to say how great this software is.  I just finished my eval period, and bought the package.  It's a big hit with our league!

There is one problem I have, and I'm not sure how to get around it - We have a small weekly league of 12 regular players that all pay an annual fee toward a year-end free roll tourney and year-end prizes, high hands, etc.

For weekly games, we try to fill the table with 12 players, and that sometimes means having non-league players sitting in, and they are not eligible for the year-end prizes based on the points system.  We have a 300 point "must" scoring system, meaning that the weekly winner get 300 points, and everyone gets points based on where they finished [Formula:  (300/n)*((n-r)+1)]. 

My problem is, how can I insert non-league players into the game, but keep them out of the point system?  For instance, when we have 11 league players, and 1 non-leaguer, if the Non-leaguer finishes in 2nd place, he receives the 2nd place weekly prize MONEY (paid weekly by attending players), but NOT the 2nd place POINTS - those points (273 points in this example) would actually be awarded to the 2nd place nightly LEAGUE player (3rd place overall finisher). 

Does this make sense?  What I do now is, export the results to HTML, then manually edit the file to give the Non-League player a "N/A" in the points column, then manually recalculate the points - pretty cumbersome.  I'm just wondering if I'm missing something, or is this something that could be added to a future version.

Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Non-League players playing in League games
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 10:16:58 AM »
No, you're not missing anything.  The software does not distinguish between "league" and "non-league" players.  It only makes a small distinction between "database" and "non-database" players.

I think you'll need to do what you want manually, but you can still do it within the confines of the program.  That is, you can make the necessary changes within the tournament itself so that players receive the correct prizes and points.  The bonus to doing that is that Stats will be correctly accumulated as well.

Edit the player(s) on the Players tab.  There are fields for adjusting the player's points and cash received.  Those inputs accept negative amounts, so if, as in your example, the 2nd place finisher was a non-league player, set the "adjust points by" field to "-273".  Then set the same field to "273" for the next league finisher.

macacan

• View Profile
    • Chorley Poker League
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 03:07:51 PM »
Hi

I run a league (only 8 players) and we have reserves sometimes.
The reserve gets any monies won and of course it shows him winning points in TD.
The way we run ours though is if the reserve finishes second then the league player
that finishes third gets the points for finishing third.
Cos he has only finished third, so why should he get points for second.

http://www.chorleypokerleague.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Bixby

• Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 03:16:10 PM »
I would like to chime in here to support what macacan is saying. Last year when this come up, the points for the non-league players vanished into the nether. It did not make sense to reward someone by virtue they came in behind a non-league player. When you start doing that you walk on a slippery slope. Although unlikely, it is possible for 7 non-league players to place in the top 7 spots and the last place 8th position to get awarded points for top spot as the only league player. I know that example was a bit silly but it illustrates the inequity in a structure like that.

As a side note, every player that plays at my house during a 2007 PFH Series game (January - October) is a league member by virtue they played in a league game. Whether they want me to or not, I track their points and their standings. It matters not whether they ever come back to play, their stats are captured and added to whenever they return...
My KARMA ran over your DOGMA

macacan

• View Profile
    • Chorley Poker League
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 03:34:04 AM »
I like that way of controlling reserves Bixby.

I will implement that in our league asap.
As I only run one table at the moment, I would still have my 10 league players who have the first option to play or not, then any players missing I could have a priority list for the reserves.
So a reserve could actually win the league, if this was to happen, I say fair play, he deserves it and he would get any prizes alloted for the winner.
At the moment I have a lot of people wanting to enter the league, this would gave players a big incentive to do well, as the following season the top ten players would be invited to register as the league players for that season and the next to be prioritized.

Cheers for that Bixby.

macacan

http://www.chorleypokerleague.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 05:28:40 AM by macacan »

BTime1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 11:59:43 PM »
Thanks everyone for your responses - you give me some interesting things to think about for next season!