Author Topic: League formula help please.  (Read 3027 times)

aquadad

• View Profile
League formula help please.
« on: January 25, 2013, 11:30:37 AM »
I've been lurking around various threads about league points formulas. Although I've seen a lot of very good ideas, I'm not completely sure that I've seen any that are what I'm looking for. I would like a formula to take into acct. the following...

1. The place of finish (points awarded preferably non-linear. kinda like most pay scales escalate)
2. number of players (1st place in a 15 player tourney is awarded more than 1st place in a 10 player tourney)
3. buy-in (winning a $50 buy-in with 15 players awards more than winning a $30 with 15 players)
4. penalize for rebuys (if there will be any rebuy tourneys) I have seen this somewhere but it would be nice to have is here in one thread.
5. I would also like to award points to all players, increasing with each tourney in an effort to keep everyone coming. for example: 1 pt. each  for attending 1 or 2 games. 2pts. for attending 3 or 4, and 3 pts. each for    attending your 5th or 6th.  Again, I have seen this somewhere else in the forum but it would be nice to have here.

I have spent hours and hours attempting to do what you guys seem to do off the top of your heads.... Many, many thanks not only for any help given directly, but also for all the help I have found my reading other threads.

bmontana33

• View Profile
Re: League formula help please.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 12:06:08 PM »
The formula we use for our league is below. It satisfies 1,2, and 4 of your criteria:

10*(SQRT(Number of Players/Finishing Place)) – (Number of Rebuys) or in TD form 10*(SQRT(n/r))-(nr)

What I llike about this formula is that if a player that beats say half the field in a 10 player tourney and another player beats half the field in a 20 player tourney they would net the same amount of points (14.14 points). However, it does award more points for the higher placed finishers and the larger the field the more points the winners get as the larger the field the more difficult it is to win. So first place in a 10 man tourney nets 31.62 points and first place in a 20 man tourney nets 44.72 points.

However, if you want to take into account the buy-ins (number 3 on your list), Dr. Neau's formula could be another option.

Tournament Points = (SQRT((a * b) * (b / c)) / (d + 1.0))
where
a = Number of Players
b = Buy-in Amount
c = Total Expense (Buy-in + Re-buy)
d = Player Finish

As for number 5 on your list I will let one of the pro's help you out there. I'm sure there is a basic formula addition that could be added to most formulas to account for that. Hope this helps.

aquadad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 12:51:14 PM »
Thank you bmontana.  Is it safe to assume that if the tourney does not have rebuys, it still works?  Also, I have seen the solution to #5 on here somewhere. I'll just have to browse all the threads again.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 01:35:02 PM »
5. I would also like to award points to all players, increasing with each tourney in an effort to keep everyone coming. for example: 1 pt. each  for attending 1 or 2 games. 2pts. for attending 3 or 4, and 3 pts. each for    attending your 5th or 6th.  Again, I have seen this somewhere else in the forum but it would be nice to have here.

You would have to put this in an Overall Score formula on the Stats tab.  It would be something like this:

switch(count(scores), 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 6, 5, 9, 6, 12)

aquadad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 01:52:24 PM »

You would have to put this in an Overall Score formula on the Stats tab.  It would be something like this:

Thank you Corey!  Does this tell me that the player gets 1pt for playing in 1, 2 pts. for playing in their second, 4pts for playing in their 3rd, 6 for their 4th, 9 for their 5th....etc.?

aquadad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 01:53:39 PM »
As you can tell, I have next to zero knowledge of how to do this.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 03:21:32 PM »

Thank you Corey!  Does this tell me that the player gets 1pt for playing in 1, 2 pts. for playing in their second, 4pts for playing in their 3rd, 6 for their 4th, 9 for their 5th....etc.?

I interpreted your description to mean that a player gets 1 point for their first tournament, and 1 point for their second tournament (for a total of 2 points), 2 points for their 3rd tournament (for a total of 4 points), 2 points for their 4th tournament (for a total of 6 points), 3 point for their 5th tournament (for a total of 9 points), and 3 points for their 5th tournament (for a total of 12 points).

The switch() function says compare the first item (count(scores)) with the second item (1).  If they are the same, then return the 3rd item (1).  If they are not the same, compare the first item with the 4th item.  If they are the same, then return the 5th item.  If they are not the same, compare the first item with the 6th item.  If they are the same, return the 7th item.  Etc.  Sounds more complicated than it is.  It's just a way of awarding based on a simple two-column table:

count(scores)
-------------
 1:  1
 2:  2
 3:  4
 4:  6
 5:  9
 6: 12

If count(scores) is equal to the value on the left, return the value on the right.

One other thing.  If you play 7 or more tournaments, you'll have to add more cases to the switch statement.  Say you get 4 points each for tournaments 7 and 8, you would add:

switch(count(scores), 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 6, 5, 9, 6, 12, 7, 16, 8, 20)

Or you could say that for any tournaments beyond number 6 you get 4 points, you could do this instead:

switch(count(scores), 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 6, 5, 9, 6, 12) + if(count(scores) > 6, (count(scores) - 6) * 4)

aquadad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 03:36:45 PM »
AHH OK, thank you for the laymans interpretation. Yes! that's exactly they way I meant it.

aquadad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 11:28:06 PM »
As I work on this I have come up with another question.. I have put the points for playing formula in as:

switch(count(scores) , 1, 0, 2, 0, 3, 0, 4, 2, 5, 4, 6, 6, 7, 9, 8, 11    (not awarding points until 4th game)

I also want to take top 6 scores of the 8 game season. From what I've seen in another thread, this should also be put into the overall scores formula as:

sum (top(6, scores))

My question is, will these two work together or will the "top 6 scores" formula negate any points that a player may have earned for playing in 7 or 8 games?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 12:37:10 PM »
As I work on this I have come up with another question.. I have put the points for playing formula in as:

switch(count(scores) , 1, 0, 2, 0, 3, 0, 4, 2, 5, 4, 6, 6, 7, 9, 8, 11    (not awarding points until 4th game)

This won't work for Points for Playing.  count(scores) only has meaning in the Overall Score formula of Stats.  That's probably what you meant.

I also want to take top 6 scores of the 8 game season. From what I've seen in another thread, this should also be put into the overall scores formula as:

sum (top(6, scores))

My question is, will these two work together or will the "top 6 scores" formula negate any points that a player may have earned for playing in 7 or 8 games?

sum (top(6, scores)) is indeed correct to take the best 6 tournaments and sum up the scores the player earned in those tournaments (the scores being created by the Tournament Score formula in Stats).

If what you are trying to do is award each player the sum of the top 6 (out of 8?) tournaments PLUS additional points for attendance, then you would do the following:

1) Set the Points for Playing formula to something (whatever you decide is appropriate for your tournaments); for example: n - r + 1
2) Set the Tournament Score formula to: points
3) Set the Overall Score formula to: sum (top(6, scores)) + switch(count(scores), 1, 0, 2, 0, 3, 0, 4, 2, 5, 4, 6, 6, 7, 9, 8, 11)

Is this what you're trying to do?

aquadad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 06:30:32 PM »
I believe so. Thank you Cory. I was afraid that if a player has his two worst games during games 7 and 8, that his "points for playing" would get dropped with them.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 09:58:42 AM »
I believe so. Thank you Cory. I was afraid that if a player has his two worst games during games 7 and 8, that his "points for playing" would get dropped with them.

Ah, I see.  No, this isn't the case.  the top() function selects the highest N values from a set of values.  Order of those values is irrelevant.