Author Topic: Formula Assistance  (Read 11214 times)

Alvisar

• View Profile
Formula Assistance
« on: February 07, 2012, 08:34:46 AM »
I need help with a formula please.  I've read the forums, and I'm not sure exactly which one to use.

I have decided which variation I'm going to use, but here are the two point systems I would like to consider.

1)
Dr. Neau's system in tournament point system.  What is the formula?

2)
Dr. Neau's point system with the final table of nine, each place being worth 1 more point per place as a bonus for making the final table.

In the game setup, what setting do I have to change besides the formula?  Do I need to assign points per buy in?  For example, 1, so that each player is worth a point.

Thanks,
Alvisar 

Alvisar

• View Profile
Re: Formula Assistance
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 08:45:55 AM »
Figured out part of it, need help with system number two please!

System one, already has the formula that I would like to use in the sample game, and it seemed to work if I made the points for buy in on the game setting screen 1 point.

So, how do I do the weighted final table?

I would also like this to be based on the number of players.  So I might need to a different formula.  If there are 7 players in one game and 14 players in the other game, it's more difficult to win first place against 14 people so I think that the players in the 14 player game should get more points due to the number of players.

Curtis
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:50:07 AM by Alvisar »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 10:06:05 AM »
1)
Dr. Neau's system in tournament point system.  What is the formula?

2)
Dr. Neau's point system with the final table of nine, each place being worth 1 more point per place as a bonus for making the final table.

These sound like good questions to ask on Dr. Neau's forums.

Alvisar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 11:07:27 AM »
You're killing me Corey!   ;D

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 12:43:02 PM »
Dr. Neau's Formula as found here:
Quote from: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/24/home-poker/dr-neaus-formula-29541/

score = (sqrt(((a * b) * (b / c))) / (d + 1.0))

where

a = Tournament Buy-in Count
b = Player Buy-in Expense
c = Player Total Expense
d = Player Finish

If I remember the variables correctly, switch the following:
a --> n
b --> bc
c --> <prizepool>
d --> r

I know the first one and the last one is right, the second one I'm 80% sure of being right, while the third one I'm 60% sure that it's wrong. Hopefully this helps out some, Alvisar!
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 01:24:47 PM »
c --> tc, or totalCost

Alvisar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 02:12:29 PM »
Quote from: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/24/home-poker/dr-neaus-formula-29541/

where

c = Player Total Expense
d = Player Finish

a --> n
b --> bc
c --> <prizepool>
d --> r

I know the first one and the last one is right, the second one I'm 80% sure of being right, while the third one I'm 60% sure that it's wrong. Hopefully this helps out some, Alvisar!

I inserted the formula, but every player in the test game that I ran was only awarded one point regardless of what place they finished in???

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 02:26:15 PM »
Post your formula.

Alvisar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 03:14:58 PM »
Post your formula.

Corey,

I think I found what I'm looking for:

n - r + 1 + switch(r, 1, 13, 2, 9, 3, 8, 4, 7, 5, 6, 6, 5, 7, 4, 8, 3, 9, 2)

with extra points added to the final table

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 11:49:12 PM »

where

c = Player Total Expense
d = Player Finish

a --> n
b --> bc
c --> <prizepool>
d --> r

If you're looking to use Dr. Neau's formula, you want to take out the formula that you have. While it may work for what you want to do, you have it set up so that each position gets one more than the one before it, plus a bonus for the top 9. Dr. Neau's would be different (albeit I'm not sure how much, since I don't use it).

You would want the formula to be something like this:

sqrt(((n *bc ) * (bc / tc))) / (r + 1 )
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Scotty K

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 03:48:42 PM »
You would want the formula to be something like this:

sqrt(((n *bc ) * (bc / tc))) / (r + 1 )

I have been using Dr. Neau's formula for six years now, and essentially, Magic fubu nailed it.

However, let me throw something out there that I encountered when we instituted a bounty chip at our tournaments...

When I used the formula sqrt(((n *bc ) * (bc / tc))) / (r + 1 ) as originally conceived, I found that when players purchased the optional bounty chip (which could also be purchased during a rebuy), those players were having the cost of the chip added to their buy-in total, and thus were being penalized for buying the chip.  This came to light when we had a situation when at the end of one tournament, we actually had a player who didn't purchase a bounty chip get a higher point total in a lower finishing position than a player who had purchased a chip with a higher finishing position.  This occurred because of the use of the "total cost" variable in the formula.  Naturally, this was not my intention at all when we put the bounty chip into play, so I changed it slightly to this:

sqrt((n*bc)*(bc/(bc+rc)))/(r+1)

Whereby "total cost" is replaced with "buy-in cost" plus "rebuy cost"

I don't know if this applies to your situation, but I just thought that I'd share my experience with you.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 06:17:34 PM »
I personally don't run into this, merely cause our league is a "free poker" league, thus this formula wouldn't work (bc=0). What I could suggest would be to make the bounty chip be an addon, and see if that helps. Alternatively, you could make their buy in be "actual buy in amount minus bounty chip cost". That way, they still pay, and the bounty chip doesn't hurt them. However, idk how the latter would affect the pot for you. Maybe someone else has a better solution ???
---

bsdunbar1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 07:20:20 AM »
I know this is an old thread but the topic is what I am dealing with.
I use Dr Neau's points system for our league and I believe the above formulas have me in the right direction.

My question is how do you use Dr Neau's points system with 2 decimal points? The formula returns "9" and I need it to return "9.23"

efdenny

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 07:54:45 AM »
Preferences... Currency / Numbers... Points precision. Enter the number of decimal places: in this case, "2"

bsdunbar1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 03:05:22 PM »
Got it - Thank You