Author Topic: tie  (Read 1566 times)

macacan

• View Profile
    • Chorley Poker League
tie
« on: October 11, 2009, 04:02:04 AM »
Just a quickie.

After our league game last night, I run TD to get the league table and there were 2 players on the same points.

We have played 6 tournaments, don't think it will be a problem, with the points system and bonus points I use
I would be very surprised if 2 players tied and the end of the season.
But I was asked what would happen, obviously TD had 1 higher than the other because its a list.
How does TD pick the top 1, tourney wins, places, hits or something else.

I need to put a ruling in place next year.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

macacan

• View Profile
    • Chorley Poker League
Re: tie
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 05:14:09 AM »
Adding on to this, at the moment our league is run over 12 monthly games.

All the points are in the prizes, 16 in league but I have 18 prizes (points), then there is points for buy in, points for hits and
extra points on the head of the last winner.

I know a lot use formula's, just wandering if I can keep the set up that I have but when I run the stats have it just show the best 10 from 12 for each player,
Or would I have to get a formula that covers everything ?.

Cheers.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 10:09:16 AM »
As far as how players are listed in the Stats, it is simple sorting.  Universally (I think) within the software sorting ties are broken by falling back on player name.  So if you have the Stats sorted by Overall Score, if two players have the same Overall Score then those two players will be ordered by their name (alphabetically).

FourAcesPoker

• Big Slick "The Hitman"
    • View Profile
    • Four Aces Poker
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 05:51:56 PM »
I had this situation come up last season. We had 2 players tie in points and we ended up using the overall score as a tiebreaker. the overall score uses average finishing position across all played tournaments. since one player had a higher overall score than the other, even though the two were tied in points, the player with the higher overall score won the player of the year award. I immediately put it into use as a rule for this season. We have our No Limit Hold'em championship tournament as well as out 7 Card Championship coming up in a few weeks and I have a very real chance of it happening again. This time I am ready for it. If for some reason they Tie with Points AND overall score, then the Tie breaker is who won the most tournaments. If they are STILL tied, they will go heads-up to determine the player of the year.
Big Slick "The Hitman"
Certified Tournament Director
Tournament Directors Association
Four Aces Poker
"Can you beat Four Aces?"

macacan

• View Profile
    • Chorley Poker League
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 10:00:51 AM »
OK, I run another league, only 10 players.
After running stats there was a tie, still games to play but
I need to understand how to set TD to pick the fairest winner.
The pic shows the stats, it shows macacan at the top why ?.
Looking at it quickly you would think 3pairs should be top.

Is there some way of setting it to pick by what ever you want, most wins, best average finishes and so on ?.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 09:11:18 PM »
I stand corrected.  It looks like when sorting by any of the 5 Overall Score columns, or by the First, Second, or Third columns (the number of times a player has ranked 1st, 2nd, or 3rd), they don't fall back on the player's name to break ties.  I believe that is a bug.

Which means the sort order is with respect to ties when sorting by one of those columns is non-deterministic.  Actually, it probably is determined by how the player list is stored internally, but for practical purposes it might as well be random.