Author Topic: Player Rankings  (Read 5501 times)

hemi 06

• View Profile
Player Rankings
« on: May 21, 2006, 02:59:13 PM »
Corey,
     I can't get the system to calculate "average placed".  Do tou have any advice?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Player Rankings
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 04:26:07 PM »
What do you mean?  The "average placed" is calculated automatically.  Do you mean it is inaccurate?

hemi 06

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 07:25:46 PM »
It is not automatically calculated.  I save the tournaments, but I may not be ending them correctly????

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 10:00:51 AM »
You're going to have to be much more specific.  What do you mean by "It is not automatically calculated"?  Are you saying that the values for each player under the "Average Placed" column on the Stats tab are completely missing?

hemi 06

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 10:43:00 AM »
Yes, I click on a players stats and the "average placed" is 0.  Sorry for the lack information. Reply back if you need more info.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 11:41:01 AM »
So, in this context the word "placed" means that a player was awarded a prize that was configured for a specific rank.  In other words, 1st place, 2nd place, etc.  If a tournament has 20 players, and has prizes for 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place, then anyone ranking 1, 2 or 3 "placed" in the tournament.  Bigger tournaments might have 100 players and award prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th places, for example.  In this case, anyone ranking 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 would have "placed".

Is the "Times Placed" also 0 for each player?  If so, perhaps your tournaments don't have the prizes configured properly.  Make sure they are assigned to a specific rank.  If they are, and the tournament has ended, they should also automatically have a recipient.  The software should have automatically awarded them to the appropriate player(s).

hemi 06

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 12:35:57 PM »
We run tournaments based strictly off of points.  I do not set up prizes.  So, you are telling me that I have to set up prizes in order to get this to work.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 02:28:39 PM »
Well, how do you determine if someone "places" in one of your events?

hemi 06

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 11:02:13 AM »
I just want the "average placed" to work, so we can tell who averages the highest ranking.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 12:38:41 PM »
Well, you can't average the times a player placed unless you know how many times the player placed overall.  You can't know that unless you've defined what makes a player "place", and the definition is that they receive a ranked prize.

What you're looking for is average rank, not average placed.  Average rank is not there, because it in itself is not too meaningful.  Instead, you'll find "score".  Score is basically an average ranking weighted for tournament size.  There are two methods for you to choose from at the moment for calculating each player's score.  A future version will allow you to supply your own formula.

hemi 06

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 01:32:30 PM »
So, just to clarify.  I cannot have "average placed" without having prizes. My points for playing formula is all that I use.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 05:31:28 PM »
Correct.  A player "places" if and only if they are awarded a ranked prize.  If you have no ranked prizes, then no one places.  Following this logic, in your Stats, each player will have a "Times Placed" value of 0.  And the average of 0 across any number of tournaments is 0.

hemi 06

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 07:42:53 PM »
One more quick question.  I understand now how to get the average placed to work, but when we play everyone gets at least 1 point.  The system takes that as a time palced.  So everyone has a average place of 1.  Say I finish 1st, 2nd, and 6th.  9/3=3   To me it should be a average place of 3rd.   Explain to me if I am wrong.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 10:10:13 AM »
I think you are still misunderstanding the term "placed".

Typically, a tournament will have prizes for the top ranked players.  For example, a tournament might award prizes to the top 3 players (1st, 2nd, and 3rd).  Another tournament with more players might award prizes for the top 5 players (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th).  With the Tournament Director software, you would award these by creating prizes that are assigned to specific ranks.  A prize for rank 1 (1st), and prize for rank 2 (2nd), and so on.

When you use the term "place", as in "Did so-and-so place in the tournament?", the question is referring to whether or not the player got one of the top ranked spots, which is different for different tournaments.  For the first tournament mentioned above, the player "placed" if they got 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place, since those are the ranks with prizes awarded to them.  In the second tournament mentioned above, a player would "place" if they got 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th.

The software defines "placed" in exactly the same way.  If the tournament in question has prizes for ranks 1, 2, and 3, then players who achieved rank 1, 2, or 3 would "place".  "Placing" does not distinguish between 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th place, or any other rank.  If you got the 1st place prize in a tournament, you "placed".  If you got the 5th place prize in a tournament, you "placed".

So, for example:

A player plays in 5 tournaments
Each tournament awards prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place
The player ranks 1st, 6th, 3rd, 10th, and 5th in those tournaments.
The player "places" 2 times (when he got 1st place and when he got 3rd place)
2 / 5 = .4

Therefore, for this player, "Times Placed" is 2 and "Average Placed" is .4

This player "places", on average, 40% of the time.

hemi 06

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 11:52:51 AM »
Sorry for the inconvenience, but I was just wondering if there was a different way of calculating. Sorry.