Author Topic: Display live sports scores in your layout  (Read 3072 times)

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
Display live sports scores in your layout
« on: December 27, 2011, 02:14:06 PM »
Wanna display live sports scores in your layout?
This isn't actually how I accomplished putting sports scores in one of my earlier layouts, but here is a very simple way to accomplish it.
Create a cell that will span the width of the screen then copy/paste this HTML inside the cell

<iframe src="http://espn.go.com/bottomline/espnewsbottomlinebasic.html" height="64" width="90%" style="zoom:200%"></iframe>

Your TD must be hooked to the internet for this to work. You can choose which sport(s) you wish to display, however every time the TD screen must refresh the sports scores (and any preferences you set) also reset.

Jody
www.jodystacey.com

The Meal

• View Profile
Re: Display live sports scores in your layout
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 06:26:37 AM »
Wanna display live sports scores in your layout?
This isn't actually how I accomplished putting sports scores in one of my earlier layouts, but here is a very simple way to accomplish it.
Create a cell that will span the width of the screen then copy/paste this HTML inside the cell

<iframe src="http://espn.go.com/bottomline/espnewsbottomlinebasic.html" height="64" width="90%" style="zoom:200%"></iframe>

Your TD must be hooked to the internet for this to work. You can choose which sport(s) you wish to display, however every time the TD screen must refresh the sports scores (and any preferences you set) also reset.

Jody
www.jodystacey.com

It looks like you're supposed to use a height of 44 pixels (from the FAQ):
1. Can I put the BottomLine on my own web site?
Yes. You are welcome to place the BottomLine on your own site with the understanding that should ESPN ask you to remove it for any reason, you must comply. Possible reasons for removal requests include displaying the BottomLine on sites containing adult/explicit material, modification or otherwise improper display of the ESPN branding, or any other reason ESPN feels is appropriate to demand removal.

To put the BottomLine on your site, simply create a frameset with the bottom frame being exactly 44 pixels tall and point it to this address: http://espn.go.com/bottomline/espnewsbottomlinebasic.html . You must follow these directions exactly and point to this exact address for your implementation to be acceptable to ESPN. We change our BottomLine code quite frequently as improvements are made and pointing to this address ensures you are always getting the most current code.
http://espn.go.com/bottomline/faq.html

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have a convoluted path from my iTunes playlist putting the current selection into an XML file, which then gets automagically uploaded to a FTP server on a free web-hosted website which I then convert into a bit of marquee html which I then iframe back into my TD layout.  No longer does my home crowd debate the artist, title, or year of release for the currently playing selection. :D

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 01:12:06 PM »
No longer does my home crowd debate the artist, title, or year of release for the currently playing selection.

That's funny!
The 44 pixel height is the recommended, however at 44 pixels and sitting more than 10 feet from the screen was useless. I increased the sze slowly until it could be seen from a decent distance and the scores still displayed properly

Scotty K

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 08:43:36 PM »
Hey,Jody, this is really cool!  I would love to add this to my layout!

I'm having a bit of a problem with the customize feature, however.  When I click the button, a blank screen comes up, or another window that says the link is broken.  Have you experienced this?  I tried disabling my pop-up blocker, to no avail...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 08:47:22 PM by Scotty K »

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 11:58:28 AM »
I have not had any problems like you post. ESPN may be responsible for this. Try again a day later.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 12:29:02 PM by jodybingo »