Author Topic: UTF-8 support  (Read 1607 times)

William

• View Profile
UTF-8 support
« on: July 23, 2011, 09:30:26 AM »
Hi Corey,

Would it be possible to get UTF-8 support on TD2?

Whenever I use characters like € or ½ anywhere in the program (as a currency preference, or as an HTML or plain text) it works fine while I'm using it, but if I've saved the game or a template with one of those characters I can't open it anymore. I've resorted to using "EUR" and 1/2 for now.

Thanks,

Will.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: UTF-8 support
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 08:49:50 PM »
Unfortunately the framework on which the software depends does not support UTF-8 for file operations.  It supports Unicode, specifically UTF-16 and UTF-32, but not UTF-8.  Don't know why, and don't think there's any plans by Microsoft to support UTF-8.

But having said that, I don't know why you would have trouble using a Euro (€) or half (½) symbol.  Those do not require UTF-8 encoding.  I just set the Title of a tournament to "€" and saved the tournament, and then checked the file encoding and it was saved as ANSI/Latin - at least on my computer.  I exited the program, restarted it, and reloaded the saved tournament and the title remained "€".

William

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 12:32:45 AM »
Hi Corey,

Thanks for the quick reply :).
Tried it again, just to make sure, but I can't open a file that has a € symbol in the Description field.

Not much help probably, but I attached the message below. When I click OK the tournament hasn't loaded.

I've found a way around in the HTML fields where I can use € and ½, but those codes aren't translated when used in input fields like Event Name, Description, or Currency symbol.

I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium with SP2 and IE9 (but had the same problem with IE8)

Grtz, William

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 07:33:38 AM »
Could you send the saved tournament to support@thetournamentdirector.net and let me take a look?  (The one with the Euro that doesn't load.)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 10:38:36 AM »
Just to follow-up on anyone interested in this in the future, the software does support Unicode, including UTF-8, UTF-16, and UTF-32.