Author Topic: Bounties not displaying properly.  (Read 2052 times)

penguiniffic

• View Profile
Bounties not displaying properly.
« on: January 16, 2011, 10:49:58 AM »
I've been using TD for about a year now, but until now, we've just been running individual tournaments. We're just starting to actually track stats for a whole season, so I'm looking at the end-of-tournament stats a bit more closely.

We had a tournament with 10 people. Of those 10 people, 3 players are listed as having "kept" their bounties. I do not understand this. Shouldn't only the tournament winner keep his bounty (assuming he has not rebought in)?

I'm seeing the following in the software:
  • Player A busts out Player B in Round 5.
  • Player B is listed in the Player Detail Tournament History as having collected Player A's bounty chip.
  • However, Player B's "Bounties won" and "Bounty winnings" are both 0.
  • Player A's "Bounties kept" is 1 and "Bounty money kept" (bounties are $5 in our league) is $5.00.

The above behavior occurs twice within the software. The tournament winner did not rebuy, so I expect that he would keep his bounty chip/money. As a result of the above behavior, the software is only showing 7 Bounties Won when there should be 9.

When busting out players, I made sure to select the person who knocked them out and this seems to be supported in the different tournament histories screens. Any ideas what might me going on here?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bounties not displaying properly.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 10:58:50 AM »
I've been using TD for about a year now, but until now, we've just been running individual tournaments. We're just starting to actually track stats for a whole season, so I'm looking at the end-of-tournament stats a bit more closely.

We had a tournament with 10 people. Of those 10 people, 3 players are listed as having "kept" their bounties. I do not understand this. Shouldn't only the tournament winner keep his bounty (assuming he has not rebought in)?

I'm seeing the following in the software:
  • Player A busts out Player B in Round 5.
  • Player B is listed in the Player Detail Tournament History as having collected Player A's bounty chip.

Are you sure about that?  It should show that Player A has collected player B's bounty chip.  Have you listed it backwards or is this actually what you are seeing?

• However, Player B's "Bounties won" and "Bounty winnings" are both 0.

This would be correct if the above is backwards.

• Player A's "Bounties kept" is 1 and "Bounty money kept" (bounties are $5 in our league) is $5.00.

Player A busting out another player wouldn't affect Player A's "kept" bounties/bounty money, so this may or may not be correct, depending on other events in the tournament.

The above behavior occurs twice within the software. The tournament winner did not rebuy, so I expect that he would keep his bounty chip/money. As a result of the above behavior, the software is only showing 7 Bounties Won when there should be 9.

When busting out players, I made sure to select the person who knocked them out and this seems to be supported in the different tournament histories screens. Any ideas what might me going on here?

The best thing to do would be to post your tournament file or send it to support@thetournamentdirector.net so I can take a look at it.  This functionality is pretty solid, but you never know, it certainly could be a bug.

penguiniffic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 11:19:36 AM »
Yes, I messed up my scenario.

The first bullet should read that Player B busts out Player A. The rest of the bullets then follow with what I am seeing.

I've attached the tournament file. I'm sure it's something I'm doing incorrectly. As I mentioned - this is the first time I'm really scrutinizing the post-tournament details.

Thanks!

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 11:33:15 AM »
penguiniffic - I took a look to see if I could figure things out, and I believe I may know why it's not showing how you believe it should be. If a player busts out a player, then gets busted out themselves, then they end up not keeping a bounty (win $5, only to lose $5). However, some people busted out multiple people, thus, the reason why more people than just the winner would have kept a bounty.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

penguiniffic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 11:44:23 AM »
Hmm.. that doesn't look to make a lot of sense to me. If one player busts out another, he collects that player's bounty chip, gaining a Bounty Won. If that player then gets busted out by a 3rd player, then that player gives up his bounty chip, but still keeps the bounty chip he won from busting the player out. The end result should be that the player has 1 Bounty Won and 0 Bounties Kept. No?

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 01:01:46 PM »
Perhaps I didn't quite explain it right (to how I understand it going). If I were to bust out Tom and Derrick (for example), and then get busted out by you, then I would be left with one kept bounty. I can see the argument that it should be zero bounties kept for everyone but the winner, as everyone would have lost their own chip, but I believe it just takes the net effect of all the chips won for the player.

Corey should be able to chime in within a day or two to fully explain... Perhaps it's me who's misunderstanding how it's working - especially since I haven't used them before.
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

penguiniffic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 01:28:17 PM »
Magic, your explanation would make sense if the number of "kept" bounties equaled the number of initial buy-ins with one exception. You would have 2 kept bounties in your example. You start off with your own bounty chip. You then gain 2 more, giving you 3 total. You then lose your bounty chip, leaving you with 2 bounties that you cash in at the end of the game.

I had also thought about the "net effect" as well, but in the tournament of 10 players, there were 3 players with 1 'kept bounty'. One was the winner, who kept his own bounty and claimed my bounty (damn him!). His "net effect" should have been 2 - it's listed as 1. One player claimed 2 bounties and lost his own, so his listing of 1 kept bounty would be correct if this was a net effect. The third player claimed no bounties and lost his own. His net effect would be '-1', not '+1'. I won 2 bounties in the tournament and lost my own. My net effect should be 1, but it's listed as 0. So, I don't think this is a net effect stat.

I love the way the software works, so I'll be very interested in finding out what I did wrong, so I can correct it for the next tournament. Whenever Corey's had a chance to review my tourney, that'd be cool.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 02:31:53 PM »
Do players keep their bounty chip until they're busted out after the re-buy, or do they have to "re-purchase" a re-buy? (My guess would be that they keep the one until completely out) If they keep the one, instead of picking up a second, that could be the reason why, but again, I'm not too sure. Did a mach tourney to see if I could figure it out on my own, but can't come up with anything except for that.
---

penguiniffic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 02:37:19 PM »
Players lose their bounty chip upon being busted out for the first time. This is accurately reflected in the tournament history - each time a player busts out for the first time, the tournament history correctly reflects the player that collects the bounty chip.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 05:01:37 PM »
One key point here is that bounty chips do not "transfer".  This has two possible meanings.  First, when a player is busted out of the tournament, they must give up their bounty chip.  This is the bounty chip that they purchased at buy-in, or their most recent rebuy.  However, they do not give up any bounty chips that they have won (they don't transfer any bounty chips to the hitman except for the single bounty chip that the busted player purchased).  Second, there are two ways to keep your bounty chip.  One is if you win the tournament.  The other is if you are busted out by a player who has not purchased a bounty chip and you have the "restrict bounties" option enabled.  When you bust-out of the tournament and keep your bounty, that's it for that bounty chip, you keep it forever.  It does not "transfer" to your next rebuy.  If the player wants to rebuy and also have a bounty chip, the player has to buy it at the rebuy.

The other key point is that your players did not purchase any bounty chips at their rebuys, and you have the "restrict bounties" option enabled.  So the winner of the tournament kept his/her rebuy, and two other players were busted out of the tournament (their first bust-out) by players who had rebought, and so the hitmen in those situations did not get to collect the bounty chips.  Thus, 3 people "kept" their bounty chips.

Correcting this is going to depend on how you play your bounty chips.  If a player wins the bounty chip of a player they bust out regardless of whether the hitman in this situation is on their initial buy-in or has rebought, then just uncheck "restrict bounties".  If a busted player gets to keep their bounty chip and continue using it by rebuying (i.e., their hitman doesn't get it if the player decides to rebuy, which by the way would suck in my opinion), then you will have to correct this by editing the buy-in of the rebuying player to remove the bounty chip, and then edit the rebuy of the rebuying player and add the bounty chip.

Hope this makes sense.  Limited time today so I'm typing as fast as my fingers will go.

penguiniffic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 05:41:39 PM »
Eureka!

I had the Restrict Bounties set. I unchecked this and now the only player with a kept bounty is now the tourney winner (who never rebought).

There are no options to buy the bounty chip for us - everyone buys one. The first time you bust out, you give up your bounty chip. I verified what Corey guessed - the two incorrect players with kept bounties were busted out by players who had rebought. You don't buy a 2nd bounty chip when you rebuy, so with the restrict bounty option selected, it prevented those rebought players from collecting bounties.

Looks good now. Thanks for the help!