Author Topic: Future directions  (Read 12712 times)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Future directions
« on: February 15, 2006, 01:52:22 PM »
Here are some of the things that are high on my to-do list for The Tournament Director.  These are by no means a promise of functionality or improvements, nor is this a complete list, but these are the things that I would most like to do with the software:

Internationalization
It's unlikely I will translate the application into any language, but I do intend to make it translatable.  This means removing all text from the main program into language catalogs, and would allow anyone to translate the program themselves if they chose to do so.  Besides, it's good programming practice.

Change to a clock window/settings window model
The clock page (or seating chart or rankings page) should always be visible, either full-screen or in a window.  The settings should be in another window (always-on-top of the clock window), and the user should be able to close the settings window at any time.  Many laptops have a standard TV output, and when connected to a display, show two desktops - one on the laptop, and one on the external display.  By having the settings in another window, the clock page could be displayed to the players at all times on the external display.  Plus, the tournament director (the person), could open the settings and make adjustments on the laptop's display while the clock is still displayed to the players on the external display.

Ad-hoc break
Add an option/hotkey for instigating an "ad-hoc" break.  An ad-hoc break would pause the tournament clock and enter a break for a predetermined amount of time.  When the break was over, the clock would resume exactly where it left off when the ad-hoc break began.

Player names
Remove restriction on unique Nicknames for players, and add an option to display users by their nickname, first name, last name, or any combination thereof.

More hotkeys
Add hotkey actions for going directly to any of the various tabs on the Settings page

Update the blinds suggestion tool
Suggesting blinds is a difficult process.  David Maybury has done some excellent work on this and I might try to implement some of his suggestions.

Ramjak

• View Profile
Re: Future directions
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 02:33:19 PM »
I fully agree with the nickname removal . I find it very hard to put in names for the nicknames, bu overall a great new version!

Doctor_XXX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 11:31:51 AM »
Any chance (or am I missing it in the current version?) you could look into adding some sort of "network capability" for the program?  Meaning, all of the locations where our league plays have wired/wireless networks, but not all have easy access to multiple TVs.  We'd love to be able to send the program info (screen shots/sounds) to multiple laptops, spread throughout the playing floors, for ease of visability from different locations.  Output to TVs works just as well, except that we have much more (easier) access to laptops and PCs than TVs...plus, you can do it all wirelessly with the network setup, as opposed to running S-video and RCA audio cables all over the place.

It isn't a huge deal...the program is GREAT as it is!  Just something we'd like to see (if possible) in the future.

Thanks!  Keep up the good work!

cousguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 04:11:16 PM »
Here's a vote for the Ad-hoc break feature.  When we collapse to 2 tables or to the final table i always have a break since everyone has to get up anyway.  Up to now, i've been using the hand timer.

sean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 12:10:09 PM »
i agree with the nickname removal i am currently trying to think up 430 of them to fill in the reqired fields. overall a good program

MattBurlew

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 11:46:12 AM »
Re: Points Formula options

Would love to be able to either use IF statements in the points formula or to enter a multiplicative formula.

For example, imagine these categories:

People Beat - 0 1pt, 1 2pts, 2 3pts, 3 4pts, 4 6pts, 5 8pts, 6 10pts, 7 13pts, 8 16pts, etc.
Finish Bonus - 1 10x, 2 7x, 3 4x, 4 2x, 5-end 1x (no bonus)
Tournament Type - Feature Event 5x, Regular Tourney 2x, Misc. Tourney 1x

Although I do like the suggested formula with square roots.  We may switch to that next season.

UPT

• View Profile
    • University Poker Tour
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 04:45:23 PM »
I want to put in a serious vote for "Change to a clock window/settings window model".

How fantastic would this be. Many times I have players hollering to see the clock or blinds while I am doing some housekeeping.

_Hithere_

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 01:03:49 AM »
Just a suggestion for everyone not liking the nicknames column,  Just put the player's real name in there. 

TimDugan

• View Profile
    • The Oregon Poker Tour
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 02:10:06 PM »
Just a suggestion for everyone not liking the nicknames column,  Just put the player's real name in there. 

I do, but it's not much more helpful.  It's the fact that the nicknames are used in so many ways in the program that actually makes the nickname feature less helpful.  I just put everyone's full name in the nickname box in the (Last Name), (First Name) format because when adding players to the tournament, slugging through 90+ names would be amazing hard without doing that.  That being said, the same format appears on the seating chart and the under the hitman column on the player rankings.  I'd personally like to see just a setting where you change what part of the database is used to display names at different parts of the program.

Ramjak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 02:07:20 AM »
There is one thing that I am frustrated with.  I cannot add breaks or new rounds where I want to.  the moving the breaks up or down one at a time is frustrating if you add it at the end of the rounds....I am not being really clear I know.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 10:42:11 AM »
There is one thing that I am frustrated with.  I cannot add breaks or new rounds where I want to.  the moving the breaks up or down one at a time is frustrating if you add it at the end of the rounds....I am not being really clear I know.

Right-click on an existing round/break and use the "Insert round..." or "Insert break..." option.

Crimson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2006, 04:03:47 AM »
I'm interesting in a network option as well. Right now I'm using VNC to display the tournament on two different computers. I am also in favor of the separation so I can keep my layout up at all times. I have the same problem as UPT with people whining when I'm doing housekeeping.

I usually just pause the clock for ad-hoc breaks but having the option to make it a real break is great as well.

asathler

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 10:08:35 AM »
Hi.
First of all, congratulations for this great job!

Well, as a Brazilian Software Developer i wish ask (or vote) for Internationalization. I can and liked help you to translate TD to Brazilian Portuguese. As soon is possible.

If apply, send me all texts, error messages and strings used and I will reply the same list with correct Portuguese translation.

Contact me
Anderson Sathler
asathler@gmail.com

jcornel7

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 08:58:11 PM »
I definitely vote for the network / multiple PC option.....LOVE THE PROGRAM...HUGE SUPPORTER!

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 12:06:01 AM »
Ad-hoc break
Add an option/hotkey for instigating an "ad-hoc" break.  An ad-hoc break would pause the tournament clock and enter a break for a predetermined amount of time.  When the break was over, the clock would resume exactly where it left off when the ad-hoc break began.

Is this now a feature?

If so where would I find it?
My League Website - Joomla Component for TD. Now available for Joomla 1.5, 1.7 & 2.5