Author Topic: Tournament Director Won't Start  (Read 6382 times)

thomamon

• View Profile
Tournament Director Won't Start
« on: December 06, 2008, 01:58:52 PM »
I don't know what happened, it was working like a charm. Now when I try to run it I get the message: "The default language catalogs (en-us) could not be loaded. The English language folder could not be found. Sorry, cannot continue"

I don't know what to do, I've tried a few different things with no luck.

Any help greatly appreciated!

thomamon

• View Profile
Re: Tournament Director Won't Start
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 08:15:36 AM »
I am using Vista... And when I go to install IE using the link you sent me, it says and I quote "Internet Explorer 7 is not supported on this operating system."
Windows Script for Windows XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=47809025-d896-482e-a0d6-524e7e844d81&DisplayLang=en

Windows Script for Windows 2000:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C03D3E49-B40E-4CA1-A0C7-CC135EC4D2BE&displaylang=en

Windows Script for Windows Server 2003:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=887fce82-e3f5-4289-a5e3-6cbb818623aa&DisplayLang=en

If you're running Vista, try re-installing Internet Explorer:

Internet Explorer 7:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9ae91ebe-3385-447c-8a30-081805b2f90b&DisplayLang=en

Internet Explorer 6:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e1550cb-5e5d-48f5-b02b-20b602228de6&DisplayLang=en

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 11:10:06 AM by thomamon »

thomamon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 12:07:06 PM »
I am beyond frustrated with this, I've tried everything.  Where is the en-us folder supposed to be? Maybe its been moved from where it is looking for it?  I don't know what else to do other then put my foot through the computer to take out my frustration.

thomamon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 12:48:45 PM »
I've removed every Windows Update and Program I installed since it worked and it still won't work.  I am out of ideas. 

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 11:34:49 AM »
The most likely problem is that the Tournament Director is unable to access your filesystem.  This would, in general, make the software fairly useless, and since all "text" is contained in external files (to facilitate languages other than English) that must be read when the program starts up, if it cannot read the language catalogs, the program aborts.

If you really did (or something did) remove or rename the language folder, you'll see the same issue.  Look to where you installed the software ("C:\Program Files\The Tournament Director 2" by default).  There should be a folder in there called "lang".  Inside of the "lang" folder should be another folder called "en-us".  Inside of that folder should be a number of files named "messages.*.properties" (where * is text, like "rounds" or "stats").  If either of these folders or any of the those files are missing or renamed, the program will fail to start.

thomamon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 01:39:56 PM »
The most likely problem is that the Tournament Director is unable to access your filesystem.  This would, in general, make the software fairly useless, and since all "text" is contained in external files (to facilitate languages other than English) that must be read when the program starts up, if it cannot read the language catalogs, the program aborts.

If you really did (or something did) remove or rename the language folder, you'll see the same issue.  Look to where you installed the software ("C:\Program Files\The Tournament Director 2" by default).  There should be a folder in there called "lang".  Inside of the "lang" folder should be another folder called "en-us".  Inside of that folder should be a number of files named "messages.*.properties" (where * is text, like "rounds" or "stats").  If either of these folders or any of the those files are missing or renamed, the program will fail to start.

I just don't understand why it worked one day and now it doesn't.  Like I said, I removed all Windows Updates and any software I installed since I installed TD.  Here is a screen shot of the language directory:

thomamon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 11:25:56 PM »
Any other advice on this?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 04:53:21 PM »
Are you using IE8, by the way?  If so, see this topic: http://thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=1366.0

I only mention this because you noted that Vista apparently tells you that IE7 "is not supported on this operating system".  What you are seeing is not among the symptoms I see when one is using IE8, but you never know.

The problem seems to be that the software is unable to access your filesystem.  This can manifest itself in a number of ways, but in lieu of any real error messages from the system, the TD will abort because it cannot read the language catalogs - as you are seeing.  I'd say that north of 95% of the time this is caused by Windows Script becoming corrupted in some manner.  I do not know *how* Windows Script becomes corrupted, but I'm sure the ways are numerous.  The fix is typically to re-install Windows Script.  This also fixes the problem about 95% of the time.

If you cannot re-install Windows Script, the fall-back is to re-install Internet Explorer.  I do not know why you are unable to do that.  I would poke around the Windows download site that I noted in my previous post and see if you can find the IE7 download for Vista, if there is one specifically.

You may try the following steps, too.  They are for other specific issues, but I suppose it is possible you are having the same problem but not necessarily seeing the same error message.

First, since it's the easiest, you may try re-registering the following DLLs and trying to run the TD again (from the Windows Start menu, select "Run..." then enter each of these in turn, pressing ENTER after):

regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 wshom.ocx
regsvr32 scrrun.dll

If that doesn't work, try the following:

1) Select "Run" on the Start Menu and type "regedit"; this will open the Windows registry editor
2) You need to locate the registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Scripting.FileSystemObject.  Open the node HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and then scroll down to the Scripting.FileSystemObject node.  There are thousands of keys here, so it's way down there
3) Right-click the key and select Permissions.  Take a mental note of who has permissions.  We're not going to change anything here, but may need to come back to it
4) Press the "Advanced" button near the bottom
5) Select the Owner tab
6) Under "Current owner of this item:", is there a user listed?  If so, skip the rest
7) You'll need to assign an owner to this item.  In the "Change owner to:" box, is the "Administrator" account listed?
8 ) If so, select it, then press the Apply button.
9) If not, press the "Other Users or Groups" button, type in "Administrator" and press the "Check Names" button.  The name should become underlined when it verifies the user; press OK
10) Select the Administrator user and press the Apply button

thomamon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 09:50:15 PM »
No to IE 8, never touched it.

OK, here is what happened when I tried typing:

regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 wshom.ocx
regsvr32 scrrun.dll

The module "jscript.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80004005
The module "wshom.ocx" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80040201
DllRegisterServer in scrrun.dll succeeded

I also just tried the ten step that you listed.  Under current owner is ThomaMon, I switched it to Administrator who was listed and hit apply. The program still does the same thing.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 09:54:50 PM by thomamon »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 12:24:51 PM »
Open a Command Prompt window as an Administrator.  Find your Command Prompt shortcut on your Start Menu, right-click it and select "Run as Administrator".  Then issue those 3 "regsvr32" commands from that window.  Hopefully that will work around the DllRegisterServer error.

thomamon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 07:01:10 PM »
Open a Command Prompt window as an Administrator.  Find your Command Prompt shortcut on your Start Menu, right-click it and select "Run as Administrator".  Then issue those 3 "regsvr32" commands from that window.  Hopefully that will work around the DllRegisterServer error.
The module "jscript.dll" failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .dll files. The specific module could not be found.

The other two loaded successful.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 12:01:31 PM »
Well, I can't say definitely that this is the problem, but considering JScript is necessary for the software to function, a problem with the jscript.dll library could be a contributing factor.  I'm not sure how to fix this, if it is indeed broken, but I'll do some looking around.

As I said before, I would poke around the Windows download site that I noted in my previous post and see if you can find the IE7 download for Vista, if there is one specifically.  Re-installing IE would surely re-install JScript support.

Karpro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 08:44:03 PM »
has anyone come up with a solution to this yet?  I have downloaded the demo version and haven't been able to use it.  I don't want to purchase software that won't run on my computer.  I have a tourney Friday and would love to try the program.

thomamon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 04:55:29 PM »
I still can't get it working.