Author Topic: Any update on the status of the new release?  (Read 6059 times)

mikiewendy

• View Profile
Any update on the status of the new release?
« on: November 03, 2009, 09:58:08 PM »
Just wondering if you have an idea of how soon we can start beta testing the next release of TD?  No pressure... I am in the software industry myself and prefer for the release date to be "when it's done".  Just interested in your feel...  I won't hold you to it. :)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Any update on the status of the new release?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 09:36:49 AM »
Thanks for asking.  Actually, I'm getting very close.  And frankly I can't wait to start it.

I've been spending time re-organizing everything on the to-do list, to make sure the highest priority items get addressed.  The list has gotten rather large.

As far as the software goes, I'm down to just a few more items.  One thing that's turned into a big issue is that when I run the new version on one of my PCs with IE8 on it, it begins to max-out the CPU in cycles.  Every few seconds the CPU load goes sky-high and then settles.  I can't figure this out.  This is the only PC that does this, and I have a mix of IE6, 7, and 8 on other PCs.  So it makes me think it's something just strange on that PC.  However, the previous version doesn't do this on that PC, either, so there MUST be something I've changed that is causing it.  In the end I might release the beta with this known issue to see if others see it, too.

Don't expect a huge set of new features.  Most of the code changes have been under the covers.  But hopefully the changes will allow faster implementation of new features...

MattBurlew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 03:57:33 PM »
Any update?

Those of us who lack that patience thing need to know!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 04:44:51 PM »
Still in cleanup phase.  I have exactly 1 feature to finish (multiple hitmen) and 2 known bugs to fix, then on to the release list of items (updating the installer, etc).  I will likely release it as an alpha, because I know it will have bugs.  I hope some brave souls will download and help in testing it.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 10:24:52 AM »
Just a quick update... I'm just about ready to release the alpha version.  I have a busy weekend, but I hope to squeeze it in.  Here are a few of the items that have changed:

- all core objects have been refactored; this was the big item that has really taken a lot of time
- layout design now uses reusable UI components; makes things more consistent and easier to use, hopefully
- layout has been completely revamped under the covers; no more Property Groups with Property Sets, just Property Groups now; formula-style conditions can now be used (but aren't required) making the layout even more flexible
- layout has a design mode; a simple feature that makes the Game window stick to the screen you're editing on the layout tab - we'll see if this turns out to be useful or not
- layout is now completely separated from the tournament; tournaments and layouts are loaded and saved independently of each other
- layout now has an import feature, allowing for importing of specific components from one layout into another
- various layout tokens added
- multiple hitmen allowed for single bust-out
- stats tab now uses profiles; hopefully this is more intuitive than before
- Stats Player dialog and Game Player dialog overhauled
- .tdt files associated with the TD, so double-clicking a tournament file will start the TD and open the tournament
- various bug fixes and enhancements

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 10:44:11 AM »
When will it make my coffee for me???

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 01:45:05 PM »
I'll put it on the to-do list...

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 09:55:59 AM »
For those of you following along at home you will have noticed I did not get the beta (alpha, actually) version out this past weekend.  I got a little obsessed with trying to figure out what is causing the weird slowdown on the one PC (it always happens on one, but not on others, even with the same version of IE).  Keep watching ... I will get it out this week some time.  I hope some of you will be brave enough to take part. :)

mikiewendy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 04:01:14 PM »
I am willing as long as time will allow! :)