Author Topic: Mass conversion of TDT to XML  (Read 1314 times)

shushs

• View Profile
Mass conversion of TDT to XML
« on: May 19, 2011, 12:19:57 PM »
I have run about 200 tournaments since I have used TD. I have had multiple computer crashes/changes/virtualization issues in the past. The only thing that has survived all of this are my backups, and my TDT files.

Now, I am interested in compiling all of this data by importing from XML. (Unless Corey will let me know his DB Schema so I do not have to re-create everything).
My purpose for this is only to gather and display statistics for my players. Is there a way, other than 'Load->Export', repeat 200 times, to do this? Is the TDT format something I can parse?
Even just a DB dump would be fine by me.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Mass conversion of TDT to XML
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 02:35:05 PM »
There is no DB schema because there is no real database.  You could try to parse the TDT format, but it's an internal format and would prove difficult at best.  It really is not meant for external consumption.

So, technically, yes, the only way to do this is to "Load, export", wash, rinse, repeat.  Adding a way to do this is not really feasible since it's the very rare user who needs it.  It isn't a good use of my time.  But having said that, sometimes wiring something up internally as a one-off might not be so bad (many times it's making a feature nice and pretty and flexible and usable that's hard).  So, if you want me to try to perform the "Load, export" steps for you, I *might* be able to.  Assuming you want it dumped in one of the existing XML export formats.

shushs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 04:00:42 PM »
I figured if it was not already in there, it is for a good reason. Thanks for taking a look and providing feedback.

when the Application is running, you can do a stats dump. Does the app just load _everything_ into memory, and then query arrays/hashes/objects/etc.? Maybe a future version could use a postgres/MySQL/SQLite type 'redistributible' db??

i am now preparing myself for the open->export->name repetition nightmare. =) I will probably take all of the XML and put it into a MySQL db anyway, just so I can do my own queries.

Thanks again for a Great Product!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 09:24:46 AM »
Does the app just load _everything_ into memory, and then query arrays/hashes/objects/etc.? Maybe a future version could use a postgres/MySQL/SQLite type 'redistributible' db??

Not exactly, but close enough, yes.