Author Topic: Rule for flipping over cards prior to the end of betting action  (Read 5205 times)

DaveBullets

• View Profile
Rule for flipping over cards prior to the end of betting action
« on: September 06, 2007, 04:35:27 AM »
Does anyone know what the official rule is when the dealer flips over the flop, the turn card or the river card prior to the end of the betting action?

What happens?  Do we redeal? Play on? If so, how?

tandemrx

• View Profile
Re: Rule for flipping over cards prior to the end of betting action
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 08:53:15 AM »
check out Robert's rules of poker, they are very explicit on how to handle this and it differs for each round of betting:

This link takes you to HomePokerTourney Robert's Rules:   http://tinyurl.com/2wqbc7

Here is how it goes, although the shuffling part is just part of my instructions to my dedicated dealers for my home tourneys:

Flop
Set the exposed flop cards aside .. The betting round is completed .. The exposed flop cards are put back in the deck .. Shuffle twice, strip shuffle, and cut. .. Re-deal the flop (no burn)

Turn
Set the exposed turn card aside and complete the betting round. • Burn again and expose the card that would have been the river for the turn. • Insert the exposed card back into the active deck - do not include the muck cards. Shuffle twice, strip shuffle, and cut. • Deal the top card (no burn) out as the river.

River
Set the exposed card aside and complete the betting round. • Insert the exposed card back into the active deck - do not include the muck cards. Shuffle twice, strip shuffle, and cut. • Deal the top card (no burn) out as the river.

DaveBullets

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 01:13:16 AM »
Are these rules used globally and considered official? 

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 09:19:20 AM »
I guess "official" is a tough thing to pin down.  There is likely no world-wide standard for poker rules.

Certainly Robert's Rules of Poker is considered one of the standards - although the Tournament Directors Association rules are frequently used (but these often rely heavily on Robert's Rules of Poker and just clarify certain points as they are not nearly as detailed as Robert's Rules).

http://www.pokercoach.us/RobsPkrRules11.mht

http://www.pokertda.com/

DaveBullets

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 04:11:00 AM »
I see, thanks for responding.

violator

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 09:13:33 AM »
go to wsop .com... they have all official rullings

Usireland

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 10:02:17 AM »
I use rules very similar to Roberts Rules of Poker but with a slight modification.

For the turn and the river i do exactly as RRoP says but for the flop I do the following:
If 1card of the flop is exposed:
Place the other two flop cards face down on the table, burn a card, place the turn card face down on the table, burn a card and place the river card face down on the table.
Now take the remainder of the deck, and the exposed flop card and riffle,riffle,box,riffle,cut and deal the third flop card face down.  When appropriate turn over Flop, turn & river.
If 2 cards of the flop are exposed:
Place the other flop card face down on the table, burn a card, place the turn card face down on the table, burn a card and place the river card face down on the table.
Now take the remainder of the deck, and the exposed flop cards and riffle,riffle,box,riffle,cut and deal the second and third flop cards face down.  When appropriate turn over Flop, turn & river.
If 3 cards of the flop are exposed:
Burn a card, place the turn card face down on the table, burn a card and place the river card face down on the table.
Now take the remainder of the deck, and the exposed flop cards and riffle,riffle,box,riffle,cut and deal the three flop cards face down.  When appropriate turn over Flop, turn & river.

The reason for this, although its wordy, is that It keeps as much of the original board cards as possible.  In RRoP, when a mistake is made on the flop, the true turn and river cards are lost, where as this way the real turn and river cards play.
I have explained it to the dealers but its incredibly rare that it happens since the dealers are told to knock the table before exposing any cards.
In the rare event of it happening, players understand what we are trying to do as we explain it each step of the way, I have yet to have a complaint about it.

Regards
Ian
TD for the Donkey Poker Tour

DaveBullets

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 03:47:08 PM »
Thanks for your input Useireland  :) That sounds like a fair way to do it.  Forgive my unfamiliarity with poker terms, but what does riffle and box mean?

Usireland

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 01:28:33 PM »
Riffle & Box, are the way a deck of cards are shuffled, see here:
http://www.howtoshuffle.com/

Note he calls it stripping the deck, I call it boxing the deck, both mean the same thing, Like saying Full Boat, or Full House.