Author Topic: Force UPPERCASE filter for 1st letter of Play Names  (Read 2817 times)

martin1

• View Profile
Force UPPERCASE filter for 1st letter of Play Names
« on: February 11, 2011, 05:17:21 PM »
Hi there,
I use a form component for my Joomla site which has an option to force a capital letter for the 1st letter of each name. I find this very handy to keep things neat and tidy. also it is respectful to address people with a capital 1st letter on their name.

Would it be possible to force use of an UPPERCASE filter (and lowercase of all other letters) when a new player is added to the database?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 07:25:36 AM by martin1 »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Force UPPERCASE filter for 1st letter of Play Names
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 05:28:14 PM »
I suppose it could be added.  Is there an issue with your SHIFT key?

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 05:36:57 PM »
i'm in on this one too, it sure speeds up data entry if you can type without shift key usage, other cardroom systems have this and it does make things a lot easier

Stu
Stuart Murray

martin1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 05:50:47 PM »
Thanx for your support stuamurr! I am sure there are many other users who would find this feature useful!
Corey, I operate a Poker League which requires TD users to send their results to me for processing. When I import their tournaments and see that THEY have not used the shift key whwn adding a new player the problem is now MINE. I ask and ask and ask but still they don't use the shift key! It's so frustrating! a simple text filter would make this problem go away. When you have 50 or so new players entering a tournament it is quite time consuming to use the shift key when entering each player to the database!

I export the files and then upload to site. But before i upload them I have to edit the exported xml files to ensure I don't get duplicated entries of players who were inputed in lowercase.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 08:08:00 PM by martin1 »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 08:51:54 PM »
Ah, now this is completely different, however, from the initial problem (at least potentially).  My first thought would be an option to have the software auto-correct case while entering players into the database or tournament (as you described in your initial post).  But that would not fix the problem of importing players from another tournament where the player names have not been properly capitalized.

So, it sounds like perhaps the Name Format feature could be augmented to automatically correct capitalization (optionally).  This would mean that names that are not properly capitalized would remain that way in tournaments and/or the database, but they would display with corrected case.

The drawback to this method is that the case-correcting feature isn't smart enough to know when how to correctly capitalize all names, and thus some names that might otherwise be capitalized correctly would be displayed incorrectly.  For example, O'Leary would be changed to O'leary, and McDavid would be changed to Mcdavid.

Another reason to make everything optional.

martin1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 01:01:22 AM »
Ahh I see what you mean. I have about 2000 players in my database and approx 5 have an O'*****. Then how about a "Suggestion" when a user adds a new player? So that it pops up like the messege which warns of duplicated players?

For Example:

User adds "joHn davis" as new player

Messege pops up...

Please choose an option..
1. Use suggested: John Davis
2. Discard suggested and save

or something along those lines?

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 06:41:33 AM »
I think the original suggestion of forcing capitalization on the first character was sound enough, it's done with cardroom Magic and this works just fine, for example being in Scotland there are lots or Mc's and Mac's  - McCulloch, MacDonald etc, so forcing capitalization and then allowing the user to user to input the remainder in will not cause any problem.

With regard to the league problem, if it is set-up with forced cap then by the time the names reach martin they will have been entered correctly anyway surely?

Regards
Stuart
Stuart Murray

martin1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 09:22:21 AM »
With regard to the league problem, if it is set-up with forced cap then by the time the names reach martin they will have been entered correctly anyway surely?

Yep, of course, but the uppercase feature would need to be implemented first. How bout it Corey? Is this possible in time for the next version?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 09:52:04 AM »
I'm not sure at this time.  My number one goal is to finish the licensing changes for 2.6 and get the next beta out ... as soon as possible.  The only other items I allow myself time for are very small, very easy changes ... and only when I need to change focus because my brain is hurting.  :-)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 11:55:03 AM »
OK, so as a simple change I added a checkbox "Auto format name fields" which will re-format the text in the Nickname, First name, or Last name field when the cursor leaves the field.  So, it doesn't format it as you type, but after you type something and move to the next field (or click anywhere) the text will be reformatted (first letter capitalized, remainder of the text in lower case, and multiple spaces changed into a single space).  To prevent this behavior, if for example you have a McDonald, you would have to uncheck the box and fix the name to your liking.

martin1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 01:35:34 PM »
That sounds just perfect. many thanks Corey!  :)