Author Topic: Event - display message for winner  (Read 2384 times)

beaker

• View Profile
Event - display message for winner
« on: October 10, 2010, 12:32:54 AM »
I've been making good use of TD events, I have various but out sounds and print messages for when players bust out.

Whenever a player busts out I use the following display message.... <name> has busted out in <ordinalrank> place.... this shows the player name and what place they finished.

I would like to display a flashing message which congratulates the tournament winner, there name should be printed in this message. I am able to get the second place finisher to appear okay... but since the winner doesn't actually bust out, I cannot figure out how to display their name in a display message. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks very much!!

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Re: Event - display message for winner
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 10:58:29 AM »
Move the event for the winner above that of <name> has finished in <ordinal> place. Reason is that TD looks at top one first. If it works, it stops looking. Otherwise, it moves to the next one, and so on.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

beaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 11:46:28 AM »
Thanks for your reply. I think that I understand the order of events okay.

I'm wondering if maybe my trigger is causing my trouble, I've tried "a player busts out" and "tournament ends" as triggers. If I use "bust out" as my trigger the winning player is not associated with the <name> tag because the winner doesn't actually bust out of the tournament.... the 2nd place player busts out and if therefore he or she is displayed.

It seems that the <name> tag doesn't associate with the "tournament end" trigger so nothing is displayed in this case.

Hope I'm explaining things okay.... please let me know.

Thanks again!

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 03:25:39 PM »
In this case, you would want to use the "when the tournament ends" feature, and if you want both to play, you'd have to combine the two into one. With TD only looking to do one things, that would be the only thing that you would be able to do to announce the winner and the second place finisher.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 04:04:30 PM »
I use  ( Tournament Winner is <prize> )   on a Post-Tournament Layout, In a cell,

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 10:13:40 PM »
The "Tournament Ends" trigger doesn't provide additional information, such as <name>.  Perhaps it should.

In the meantime, you probably want to use the "A player busts-out" trigger, set the conditions to:

players = 1

And then use the <hitman> token to identify the winner, like this:

Congratulations <hitman>!

You'll want to move this event above any other events that use the same "A player busts-out" trigger, since this one is very specific and will be ignored until the final bust-out.

beaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 01:10:40 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for all the good advice.

I am already using the <prize> token on a game over layout which lists the top five finishers and their pot winnings.

I think the <hitman> work around would be perfect, unfortunately I do not have "hitman" enabled as each player busts out using a barcode / membership card, so needing to select a hitman kind of disrupts that process.

All your advice has cleared up my understanding of my options..... thanks again!
Beaker

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 02:54:27 PM »
Why not, just use Prizes for the list of Winners, then use Prize, for the Winner and  also I  tried what Corey posted,   It works with any screen and that works for me
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 03:01:28 PM by TIMMER »

beaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 04:35:06 PM »
My next tourney is Oct 23rd... I'm hoping to make a little video and post to YouTube or something... I'll provide the link so you guys can check you what I've been up to if you're interested. This at least will make my many questions make more sense. Thanks again for all the help.

Mahound

• THE ONLY time i get screwed is when i play poker!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 06:25:29 AM »
My next tourney is Oct 23rd... I'm hoping to make a little video and post to YouTube or something... I'll provide the link so you guys can check you what I've been up to if you're interested. This at least will make my many questions make more sense. Thanks again for all the help.
yes! i would like to see the video