Author Topic: Version 2.5 beta 2  (Read 53851 times)

tandemrx

• View Profile
Re: Version 2.5 beta 2
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 05:47:26 PM »
I'll take a shot at a couple of your questions.

1.  on the "events" tab, see the "Msg Property Sets" button on the left.  This lets you control where the messages end up.  You can put them about anywhere on the screen.  You have to make sure that your font is small enough.  If it is too big (say >40, the message may take up the width of the screen (depending on the message size of course).

2.  For layouts, each cell has a property set for rounds and for breaks, but I am not sure what you are looking to do?  Do you want your layout to change 40 seconds before the end of a round??  It might be easier to have a message event or sound event occur than to have one cell change at 40 seconds before the end of a round.  But there is probably a way to do that as well, if nothing else by defining a different screen set.  Still, not sure if I know what you are trying to do.  Could you explain exactly what you want to happen?

3.  You can easily assign points for top 8, regardless of what prizes are.  I am trying to figure out why you want to make points a prize - so they can be displayed in the prizes token?  Could you explain why you want to assign points as a prize?

4.  Sounds like an interesting feature request.  I don't use the table movement by TD, so can't help you there at all.

Good luck.

MattBurlew

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 06:42:05 PM »
I'll take a shot at a couple of your questions.

1.  on the "events" tab, see the "Msg Property Sets" button on the left.  This lets you control where the messages end up.  You can put them about anywhere on the screen.  You have to make sure that your font is small enough.  If it is too big (say >40, the message may take up the width of the screen (depending on the message size of course).

Hadn't noticed that.  Yep, that's what I was looking for, thanks.

2.  For layouts, each cell has a property set for rounds and for breaks, but I am not sure what you are looking to do?  Do you want your layout to change 40 seconds before the end of a round??  It might be easier to have a message event or sound event occur than to have one cell change at 40 seconds before the end of a round.  But there is probably a way to do that as well, if nothing else by defining a different screen set.  Still, not sure if I know what you are trying to do.  Could you explain exactly what you want to happen?

I want the contents of a cell to change with 40 seconds to go in a break.  I can do that, but setting the conditions to be all breaks & time <= 40 also changes the cell contents in rounds as well.

3.  You can easily assign points for top 8, regardless of what prizes are.  I am trying to figure out why you want to make points a prize - so they can be displayed in the prizes token?  Could you explain why you want to assign points as a prize?

Why not?  The issue is that you can't specify a non-monetary prize without also giving some percentage of the pot.  I can overcome that by setting the prize to be 0.01% (effectively zero, especially with rounding), but TD treats that as a ranked monetary prize.

4.  Sounds like an interesting feature request.  I don't use the table movement by TD, so can't help you there at all.

Good luck.

Thanks.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2007, 06:49:46 PM »
After installing my plugin for the French language (not finished)

Then Preferences tab > Press Language button > Choose FR, Français

This error appears :
Code: [Select]
========== ERROR REPORT FOLLOWS ==========
'pagePreferences' est indéfini. [NLT: 'pagePreferences' is not defined] (PreferencesTab, TournamentPage: 4189)

Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer
Browser Code Name: Mozilla
Browser Language: fr
Browser Minor Version: 0
Browser Version: 4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30)
Cookies Enabled: true
CPU Class: x86
Date: 10:20:27 pm 12/26/2007
DB File: C:\Program Files\The Tournament Director 2.5\db/td.db
DB Folder: C:\Program Files\The Tournament Director 2.5\db
Home: C:\Program Files\The Tournament Director 2.5
JScript Build: 5730
JScript Version: 5.7
Media Player Version: 10.0.0.4036
Online: true
Platform: Win32
System Language: fr
TD Version: 2.5.b2
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30)
User Language: fr

Then when I restart TD the change of language is well set.

Good continuation.
Cordially,
NLT

That is a bug in the 2.5 beta, thank you for reporting it.  In the future, when you receive an actual program error (and not something that you simply need some help with), would you mind emailing it to support@thetournamentdirector.net, like the error dialog suggests?  While others reading the forums would certainly help in using the software, no one but myself can debug the code and give you specific help about it.  Like, in this case, this is definitely a bug, but it will not affect anything.  After you receive this error, just close the Settings dialog and re-open it, and everything should be in shown in the newly selected language.

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2007, 07:40:37 PM »
I want the contents of a cell to change with 40 seconds to go in a break.  I can do that, but setting the conditions to be all breaks & time <= 40 also changes the cell contents in rounds as well.

Hmmm . . . seems like it should work, wondering if your default property group is taking priority for some reason.  I would have to try this myself.  I'll try it sometime soon.

Why not?  The issue is that you can't specify a non-monetary prize without also giving some percentage of the pot.  I can overcome that by setting the prize to be 0.01% (effectively zero, especially with rounding), but TD treats that as a ranked monetary prize.

Why not? because a decent option is to assign points for rank - can be done easily in points for playing (say, if(r=8, 3,0) gives 3 points for 8th place)- without making it a prize designated points.

Also not quite understanding why you can't assign a non-monetary prize with out giving a percentage of the pot.  Set prize to rank and put in the rank (say 8 ), then set prize to non-monetary and stick the points (say 3) in the points area for whatever rank you want to give the points too (still think it works better to just put the points for whatever rank in the points for playing area with a formula).

I guess we should move this thread out of the beta forum section and to the general help me area.

MattBurlew

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2007, 08:27:38 PM »

Hmmm . . . seems like it should work, wondering if your default property group is taking priority for some reason.  I would have to try this myself.  I'll try it sometime soon.

Why not? because a decent option is to assign points for rank - can be done easily in points for playing (say, if(r=8, 3,0) gives 3 points for 8th place)- without making it a prize designated points.

Also not quite understanding why you can't assign a non-monetary prize with out giving a percentage of the pot.  Set prize to rank and put in the rank (say 8 ), then set prize to non-monetary and stick the points (say 3) in the points area for whatever rank you want to give the points too (still think it works better to just put the points for whatever rank in the points for playing area with a formula).

Ok, I had tried awarding a percentage of 0% and a fixed amount of $0, neither of which work.  Awarding coal still is counted as in the money.  Maybe it's possible to have that changed?

I guess we should move this thread out of the beta forum section and to the general help me area.

I'll post another potential bug then.

When I load a tournament, the rounding setting seems to be reset to no rounding, instead of whatever setting was there when the tournament was saved.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 12:20:03 PM »

Ok, I had tried awarding a percentage of 0% and a fixed amount of $0, neither of which work.  Awarding coal still is counted as in the money.  Maybe it's possible to have that changed?

The "amount" of a prize has no affect on the player receiving the prize being "in the money".  A player is "in the money" if they are awarded a prize that has the Recipient aspect set to a specific Rank.  This is how a typical tournament works.  Usually, there are prizes for 1st place through nth place, and there may be "peripheral" prizes, such as prizes for busting a specific player out (a bounty prize), or prizes for best hand, worst hand, etc.  Players who win the peripheral prizes should not be counted as "in the money", regardless of what the prize actually was (maybe an item, maybe money from the pot, who knows?), because "in the money" generally refers to a player who ranked high enough to win one of the 1st place through nth place prizes.  Because you can set prizes up in any way you want, you may not actually have prizes for players ranked 1st through nth.  The TD does the best it can to determine who is "in the money" by simply using the fact that a player was awarded a prize whose recipient was designated by achieving a specific rank.

I'll post another potential bug then.

When I load a tournament, the rounding setting seems to be reset to no rounding, instead of whatever setting was there when the tournament was saved.

I think you're right.  Looks like it was only "Round down" that was flubbed.  When round down is selected, it is reset to "don't round" when the tournament or prizes template is loaded.  Thanks.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 12:40:09 PM »
A couple points/questions:

1) Is it possible to display event messages anywhere but centered?  I can display status messages at the bottom of the screen, but not event messages.  Unfortunately this means in my layout that the event messages cover up the blinds, instead of the non-important stuff toward the bottom.

2) It seems the Conditions options for a layout cell don't differentiate between breaks and rounds.  A condition that should only be ture in the last 40 seconds of a break also occurs during a round.  I can work around it fine, but it seems to be an issue unless I'm missing something (quite possible).

Looks like a bug.  I'll put it on the list.

3) Is there a way to assign points via the prizes and not have the prize be considered as "in the money"?  I want to give points to the Top 8, but not have my in the money sound trigger until we actually get to the prizes (top 3 or 4 normally).

4) Would it be possible to also have an option on the table movement dialog to display the seating chart instead of the table movement dialog, and if I can get greedy to have the players moving be highlighted somehow?  Since we don't show seat numbers, it would be easier to say to someone that you are now sitting between these two players.

I like this.  I think I'll be adding a "condition" to the tournament that allows you to determine when the last seating change occurred.  You could then create a screen set that displayed only during the N number of seconds after a screen change, so you could have the TD automatically display whatever screen(s) you wanted immediately after a screen change.

The highlighting I like, too.  I'll put these on the to-do list.

Thanks Corey.

MattBurlew

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2007, 06:03:39 PM »

The "amount" of a prize has no affect on the player receiving the prize being "in the money".  A player is "in the money" if they are awarded a prize that has the Recipient aspect set to a specific Rank.  This is how a typical tournament works.  Usually, there are prizes for 1st place through nth place, and there may be "peripheral" prizes, such as prizes for busting a specific player out (a bounty prize), or prizes for best hand, worst hand, etc.  Players who win the peripheral prizes should not be counted as "in the money", regardless of what the prize actually was (maybe an item, maybe money from the pot, who knows?), because "in the money" generally refers to a player who ranked high enough to win one of the 1st place through nth place prizes.  Because you can set prizes up in any way you want, you may not actually have prizes for players ranked 1st through nth.  The TD does the best it can to determine who is "in the money" by simply using the fact that a player was awarded a prize whose recipient was designated by achieving a specific rank.

Would it be possible to allow you to create a prize that awards nothing but points? Now, if you want points you have to also specify money or "something else" as well.

I was trying to avoid using the points for playing dialog for... well no good reason I suppose.

If not, the world will not end.

And thanks again for looking in to the other stuff.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2007, 06:34:30 PM »
When you select the prize "Amount" to be "Non-monetary", the prize doesn't award anything.  That's basically saying "When this prize is awarded, don't give the recipient anything from the pot".  For any prize amount type (percentage, fixed, or non-monetary), you can add points to the prize.  So, it sounds to me like a "non-monetary" prize amount, with the points attribute set to some value, is exactly what you are asking for.  Or am I missing something?

MattBurlew

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2007, 06:39:30 PM »
When you select the prize "Amount" to be "Non-monetary", the prize doesn't award anything.  That's basically saying "When this prize is awarded, don't give the recipient anything from the pot".  For any prize amount type (percentage, fixed, or non-monetary), you can add points to the prize.  So, it sounds to me like a "non-monetary" prize amount, with the points attribute set to some value, is exactly what you are asking for.  Or am I missing something?

My issue is that is still considered as "in the money", presumably because they are getting "something".  I would like, if possible, that you be allowed to specify for example that 8th place gets 1 point (not including buy-in points and such) but nothing monetary or non-monetary, and that not count as "in the money".

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2007, 09:49:05 AM »
I see.  Nope, can't do that with prizes.  As I explained, because the prizes are as flexible as they are, it's difficult for the TD to determine who is "in the money", so it has to go by "ranked" prizes.  I would suggest (this might have already been suggested to you) that you award points like these using the Points for Playing formula.

UPT

• View Profile
    • University Poker Tour
Thanks Corey
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2008, 10:46:23 PM »
Thanks for the great holiday treat... we have been waiting for this for a long time :)

It really makes things "look" so much better.

No real problems here... I'll let ya know.

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 01:28:55 PM »
How are hot keys working for others with 2.5 beta2?

I can't bring up screens by using the usual hotkeys 1,2,3,4, etc and I can't start or stop the tourney clock with the spacebar.

Am I missing something?

I can access the screens and start/stop clock with the control tab, but not with hotkeys.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2008, 02:54:56 PM »
How are hot keys working for others with 2.5 beta2?

I can't bring up screens by using the usual hotkeys 1,2,3,4, etc and I can't start or stop the tourney clock with the spacebar.

Am I missing something?

I can access the screens and start/stop clock with the control tab, but not with hotkeys.

Not sure if I mentioned this already (this will be in the user manual), but hotkey usage has changed, but only a little bit.  Well, it just had to be more strictly defined.  May not have anything to do with what you are experiencing.

Specifically, hotkeys now work as follows:
- All hotkeys should be active when the Game window is in focus (when the Settings window is closed)
- When the Settings window is open, only hotkeys assigned to function keys (F1 through F12) are active (otherwise they would interfere with configuration input)
- When the Settings window is open and the Controls tab is selected (only), all hotkeys should be active

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 03:42:55 PM »
O.K., surprised I didn't run into that.

This did work as you mention and that is great - all that is needed - thanks.