Author Topic: Stupid question about rebuy points...  (Read 1667 times)

Pakled

• View Profile
Stupid question about rebuy points...
« on: August 17, 2008, 05:09:11 PM »
Ok, we have a league that has 18 tournaments with two tournaments per month. Normally we don't allow re buys but we have one unusual rule that allows a player to Ruby if they areknocked out in the first blind structure. Last night this happened and we were debating how to handle the points. Would the player be penalized for the early knockout? Our first thoughts were that if the player got knocked out then re bought and won the tourney that they would basically get middle of the road points. (As though the went out in the middle of the tourney.) However after the tournament was over I realized that of course, the program would award them they're points for their ultimate finishing place. (Which happened to be 2nd.) My question is this: Has anyone ever thought along these lines and if so is there a way to manipulate the points to give the player a middle of the road score or should he be allowed to keep his 2nd place points?
Pakled - We look for things...

tandemrx

• View Profile
Re: Stupid question about rebuy points...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 10:55:55 PM »
You can of course set up your points structure however you want.  If you want to subtract a bunch of points for someone doing a rebuy you can easily set this up in your points formula

I just have my formula set up to subtract a single point for a rebuy, so there is some point "punishment" for rebuying, but in my view, if you allow a rebuy then that is part of the strategy of the tournament and someone shouldn't be set back to middle position for doing something that is part of the established structure of the tourney.  One of the advantages of a rebuy is also to get more money in the pot, so you may not want to discourage people rebuying.

My points formula is essentially a number of players minus rank, with a couple bonus points for finishing top 3.  So, in a 20 person tourney the winner will get around 23 points.  So the loss of a single point doesn't mean that much, but over the season, the loss of points through rebuys can affect the season winner.

Another way to "punish" a rebuying player is to only allow a "short-rebuy".  I also use this as part of my tourney structure.

I do 2000 chip buy-in tourneys (for say $20).  Then if someone rebuys, they can only get 1500 chips (for a discounted price of $15).  I like this approach because then the person rebuying is relatively short-stacked, but still can play a good bit longer and may even make a comeback depending on what level they rebuy at (I allow a single rebuy through 1st 3 rounds).

FWIW

Pakled

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 11:55:31 AM »
so where do you put in the minus for the rebuy points?
Pakled - We look for things...

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 06:18:38 PM »
Here is my tournaments points forumula that I put in the "points for playing" field of the game tab:

(n-r+2) + if(r==3, 1, 0) + if(r==2, 2, 0) + if(r==1, 3, 0) - nr - na*0.5 + 0.5*nh

Essentially this forumula gives you the number of players minus rank + 2 (I do the "plus 2" so that everyone gets points who plays).

Then I give 3 bonus points for the person who gets 1st place, 2 bonus points for 2nd place, and 1 bonus point for 3rd place. (the "if" series in the equation above).

Then you see "- NR".  That subtracts 1 point for each rebuy (I only allow 1 rebuy, but if I allowed more, it would subtract a point for each time the person did a rebuy).

Then you see "- na*0.5".  That subtracts 1/2 a point for each add-on (again I only allow 1).

Then you see "+nh*0.5".  That adds a point for each hit someone has during the tourney.

Hope that helps.

badbeat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 06:43:36 PM »
so where do you put in the minus for the rebuy points?

The easiest place is in the rebuy section of the "game" tab when you set up the rebuy cost etc. In the "points received for rebuy" box, just enter the amount you want to subtract per rebuy (eg. -2)