Author Topic: And again....... BOUNTY  (Read 3435 times)

GyroTwister

• View Profile
And again....... BOUNTY
« on: August 25, 2009, 12:33:53 PM »
Ok, I have searched the forums for anything on Bounty and found quite a few answers and impossibilities.

So here is the case:

Buy-in: $5, Bounty chips (compulsory): $0, 10 players

Now the division of prizes. Each time a player is busted out, he will hand over his bounty chip(s) to the player who knocked him out. The hitman will receive $4 for the bust and has 2 bounty chips. This goes on till the final 2. The winner will end up with 10 bounty chips which are worth $10.

How did I do this?
Well I created a fixed price of $4 as a "Bounty on <player name>" which will be awarded to the consecutive hitmen. Besides that I created a "First place"-prize of 100% for the remaining $10.

Is there another way to make this happen?? While I want to play the same sort of tournament for a larger group of players and now I have to set up the prizes as each player which enters the tournement.

Also if I reset the tournament the "Problems" screen is showing me that the prizes "Bounty on <player anme> is a bounty on an unknown player and that the prize pool is over-allocated.

So what I am looking for is a sort of fomula to set the bounties as 80% of the buy-in on EVERY player and 1 prize of 100% for all the Bountie chips.

I hope this is possible or otherwise should find it's way to the wishlist.....

With kind regards,

GyroTwister

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: And again....... BOUNTY
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 02:42:16 PM »
I'm a little confused by this, but I should first ask this:  is your intention to have the winner end up with all 10 bounty chips?  Because if so, why do it at all?  You know that the winner will have all the bounty chips in the end, so why hand them out at all?

For the over-allocated pot, are those the only 2 prizes you created?  Because I can't see how it could be over-allocated if all you have is one fixed prize and one percentage prize of 100%.

You'll see the "bounty on an unknown player" problem when the player on which the bounty rests is not added to the tournament.  So while on the Prizes tab it may say "Bounty on Joe" (if Joe is a player in your database), if Joe isn't a part of the tournament, you'll see this item in the problems list.

GyroTwister

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 06:09:15 PM »
First of all, thanks for the swift reply Corey!

Ok let's chop this question up:
It is my intention indeed to have the winner ending up with al the 10 bounty chips. Why bothering of handing them out? I hope to get a more aggressive play style at the table. So if one player is holding 2 bounties for example it is more likely this player will be called or raised to get the bounty chips. {BTW Is there another tourney format where you can use these bounties and how to use them?}

I've seen the problem with the "Bounty on <player name>" prizes. Indeed the players are not in the tournament. I created 11 prizes. Price "First place" is 100% and equals the value of the bounty chips. The prizes 2 through 10 are "Fixed amount prizes" with "Bounty on <player name>".

That's why I hoped there could be an automated prize set for all places with "Bounty on  <ANY player in tournament>". So if you have 25 players in the tourney "First place" equals the value of all the bouty chips and every other prize is an fixed amount (with 25 players this will be the prizes from place 2 through 26).

So for example the play goes like this: <player 1> has hitman <player 9>. <player 9> is rewarded on the spot with $4 and is now holding 2 bounty chips. <player 8> has hitman <player 3>. Also <player 3> is rewarded $4 and is holding 2 bounty chips. Then <player 9> has as a hitman <player 3>. <player 3> is rewarded again with $4 and is holding 4 bounty chips. You can imagine that <player 3> will be targeted at the table while there is an additional bonus to win if you bust him out.

This is probably the best way to describe the play i'm looking for. The format is the same as the "Xterminator tournaments" on PKR.COM. I hope this clarifies things a bit.

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 08:17:07 PM »
{BTW Is there another tourney format where you can use these bounties and how to use them?}

The bounty chip format we have used is: Each player gets a bounty chip, that they give to the player who eliminates them. They keep and cash in any bounty chips they collect from other players.

If the winner ends up with all the bounty chips there really is no point having them. It's not going to make much difference in play, as I don't care if I get those 2 from you now, or those 2 and the other 7 heads up.

When I win, I will have them all anyway.

My League Website - Joomla Component for TD. Now available for Joomla 1.5, 1.7 & 2.5

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 09:28:56 AM »
Exactly.  There's really no point in going after a player who has collected more bounty chips, because in the end, you either have them all or you have none.  Going after the player with more bounty chips is a bad strategy in this type of tournament.

But in re-reading your post, it sounds more like this: each player gets $2 for each bounty chip they win, but when they are knocked out they must give all of their bounty chips to the hitman.  However, they busted-out player gets to keep the money they won for the bounties they collected.  And whatever is left in the pot goes to 1st place.  That means that the bounty chips can compound, so you don't know beforehand how much money will be handed out due to bounties.

Examples:

(1): 10 players.  Player A knocks out 4 players in succession.  Player B knocks out 4 players in succession.  So Player A and Player B have now collected $8 each in bounties.  Player A knocks out player B and collects $8 more, for a total of $24 in bounties ($16 to player A and $8 to player B).

(2) 10 players.  Player A knocks out all 9 players in succession and collects $18 in bounties, for a total of $18 in bounties.

(3) 10 players.  Player B knocks out player A and collects $2.  Player C knocks out player B and collects $4 in bounties.  Player D knocks out player C and collects $6 in bounties.  Continue until player J knocks out player I and collects $18.  A total of $90 in bounties has been collected.

Is this the way you play?

GyroTwister

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 09:58:53 AM »
Now we're getting somewhere Corey  ;D ;D ;D

If you knock out a player, you will receive 80% of their buy-in (and possible boutnies) while 20% is added as a prize on your own head.

Example: $5 Buy-in
(1): 10 players. Player A knocks out 4 competitors. So he has already won 4 times $4, and the prize on his own head has grown from $5 to $9. The same goes for player B. Now they are heads-up and Player A wins. So player A wins $18 and the 4 winnings earlier being $16 for a total of $34.00 leaving player B with winnings $16 being the for wins from other players.

(2): 10 players. Player A knocks out all 9 players in succession and collects $9 in bounties, for a total of $50 from the pot.

(3) 10 players.
Player B knocks out player A and collects $4 and the prize on his head grows to $6.  
Player C knocks out player B and collects $4.80 in bounties the prize on his head grows to $6.20.  
Player D knocks out player C and collects $4.96 in bounties the prize on his head grows to $6.24.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 10:00:24 AM by GyroTwister »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 03:32:55 PM »
Ah, OK, a little different than I had guessed.  Obviously there's no way to directly implement this scheme with the current way the TD works, and honestly, I can't even think of a way to finagle it...

GyroTwister

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 04:13:11 AM »
Ok thanks for being part of this problem and possible solution. I will see how I can set up a different way in my tourneys to work with bounties.

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 08:04:29 PM »
Sounds very confusing to me.
My League Website - Joomla Component for TD. Now available for Joomla 1.5, 1.7 & 2.5

macacan

• View Profile
    • Chorley Poker League
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 03:01:21 AM »
So its a head hunter.

Someone gave me a excel prog for this, might have been someone on here, I can't remember but here it is.

It's pretty good once you work out how to use it.

Not sure if Corey could add it has a feature or not.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

verbalvolley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 08:26:32 AM »
It was put on here by me, the version you have there has no instructions, so I have updated it and uploaded it.

GyroTwister

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 07:57:51 AM »
@macacan and @verbalvolley

This is EXACTLY what I mean to accomplish with the "bounty". Thank you for the replies and the Excel file. I don't know I a tourney of this kind can and will be added to TD but I sure hope so....