Author Topic: TD slowing/hanging and/or crashing  (Read 32450 times)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
TD slowing/hanging and/or crashing
« on: July 22, 2014, 10:03:34 PM »
UPDATE 2015-01-28

This issue is most likely already fixed for most people by way of Windows automatic updates.  So, if you're not sure you're experiencing this issue, the best course of action is to do nothing.  If you're sure you're experiencing this issue, follow the instructions below (for UPDATE 2014-08-29).  If you don't have Automatic Updates enabled in Windows, I highly recommend doing so.

UPDATE 2014-08-29

Microsoft has fixed this issue.  It requires installation of 2 additional updates, instead of removal of the offending update (KB2962872) that I recommended in the original post.

KB2976627: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2976627

KB2991509: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2991509

Installation of the above two updates should resolve the issue.  They must be installed in the order above, as the second one requires the first one to be installed.

For those interested, here is the article on the original update (KB2962872) that caused the issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2962872

If you look in the "More Information" section, you'll see "Known issues with this security update".  Issue 4 is this problem in a nutshell: "After you install this security update, the Internet Explorer window may become very slow to update and respond when you open consecutive modal dialogs. This issue affects Internet Explorer versions 6 through 11."  And then it lists the resolution, which I've listed above (installing the other 2 updates).

Here are two articles I found covering this fix:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2462799,00.asp

http://windowsitpro.com/windows/patch-patches-hotfixes-released-degrading-performance-ie7-11

Original post - July 22, 2014

I've been getting a few reports via email, and obviously there are a few topics here, describing the Tournament Director application experiencing serious slowdowns, sometimes to the point of being unusable or appearing to freeze up completely, and even some reports of the application crashing.  A couple of the reports indicate that the application doesn't start properly (white blank window) after crashing.

At this time I don't know what the issue is.  Given the rapid onset of the issues, to several versions of the software that have been in use for months or even years, I'm inclined to think a Windows update could be the vector.  But of course it could be anything, including a common virus or malware.

I currently have a PC with KB2962872 queued up in Windows Update to be installed (the update is labeled "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems").  A quick web search on this Microsoft Windows patch indicates that it was recently released (July 8, within the timeframe of problems starting to be seen in the Tournament Director), and it has been causing all kinds of havoc, including slowdowns that match almost exactly what some have been seeing with The Tournament Director.  I'm going to install this update and see if the problem can be reproduced.

Without any further knowledge at this time, my suggestions to resolve this issue are (in the following order):

See if Windows Update KB2962872 is installed on your PC and, if so, uninstall it.

Windows 7
1) Open "Installed Updates" by clicking the Windows Start button, clicking "Control Panel", clicking "Programs", and then, under "Programs and Features", clicking "View installed updates".
2) Click the update that you want to remove, and then click Uninstall.  You can quickly find the update by entering "KB2962872" in the search field at the top of the window.

Windows 8
1) Press Windows Key + W to open the "Setting Search" screen. Type Windows Update on the search box and click on "View Installed Updates" in the search results.
2) Click the update that you want to remove, and then click Uninstall.  You can quickly find the update by entering "KB2962872" in the search field at the top of the window.

I think this is the best option, as it is currently the most likely culprit.  However, if you can't find this update or removing it doesn't have an effect, you can try one of the following.  Each has helped to resolve the issue for some.

Use System Restore to restore Windows to a point of time before this issue began.

Windows 7
1) Open "Installed Updates" by clicking the Windows Start button, clicking "Control Panel", clicking "System and Security", and then, under "Action Center", clicking "Restore your computer to an earlier time".  Finally press the "Open System Restore" button.
2) When the "System Restore" dialog opens, check the box next to "Show more restore points".  Choose an appropriate restore point and then step through the wizard.  Your PC will have to reboot to complete the restore.

Windows 8
1) Press Windows Key + W to open the "Setting Search" screen. Type Recovery on the search box and click on "Recovery" in the search results.  Next click "Open System Restore"
2) When the "System Restore" dialog opens, check the box next to "Show more restore points".  Choose an appropriate restore point and then step through the wizard.  Your PC will have to reboot to complete the restore.

Rollback to a previous version of Internet Explorer

Windows 7
1) Open "Installed Updates" by clicking the Windows Start button, clicking "Control Panel", clicking "Programs", and then, under "Programs and Features", clicking "View installed updates".
2) Look for the "Internet Explorer" update in the "Microsoft Windows" section and then click Uninstall.  You can quickly find the update by entering "Internet Explorer" in the search field at the top of the window.

Windows 8
1) Press Windows Key + W to open the "Setting Search" screen. Type Windows Update on the search box and click on "View Installed Updates" in the search results.
2) Look for the "Internet Explorer" update in the "Microsoft Windows" section and then click Uninstall.  You can quickly find the update by entering "Internet Explorer" in the search field at the top of the window.

Again, none of these solutions are proven at this time.  I'm still working on reproducing and determining the source of the issue.  Please bear with me.

UPDATE 2014-07-24

On a PC on which I had NOT experienced this issue, I installed Windows Update KB2962872 only.  No other updates.  Almost immediately I was able to reproduce this issue.  I spent the day trying different ways to reproduce the issue.  Although it was inconsistent, I still had little trouble reproducing it.  The only trend, I think, is that it seemed easier to reproduce with larger databases.  I used databases with 1, 130, 300, and 1000 players.  The larger databases seemed to reproduce the problem more often.

After a day of testing, I uninstalled Windows Update KB2962872.  I've not completed testing yet, but so far I am unable to reproduce the issue.

Based on my testing, as well as related information found on the internet, I believe Windows Update KB2962872 is the cause of this issue.  I recommend uninstalling this Windows Update if you are experiencing this issue.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:59:55 AM by Corey Cooper »

HBHaynie

• View Profile
Re: TD slowing/hanging and/or crashing
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 10:31:58 PM »
We experienced this problem on 4 different laptops, 3 Win 7s and one Win 8 running next to latest then latest Tournament Director builds. We did Windows restore points on all to mid June dates. We used 2 of the computers today with no problems. So far, looks like restoring Windows to a June restore date and the turning updates off resolved the problem.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

gradx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 08:35:50 PM »
Definitely needs an update and shouldn't be recommended to leave a publicly known browser exploit unpatched.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 03:55:57 PM »
Definitely needs an update and shouldn't be recommended to leave a publicly known browser exploit unpatched.

Perhaps, but the fact is that this Windows update has a side-effect (the knowledge base article itself lists several known issues).  It is not just the TD that is affected, it's Internet Explorer.  Google KB2962872 to see what I'm talking about.

If the concern is the security hole fixed by this Windows update, there's an easy workaround that doesn't involve installing this update: don't use Internet Explorer for web browsing.  Use Chrome, or Firefox, or any of dozens of other free browsers.  The security hole does not affect the TD.

Whiterhino

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 05:14:44 AM »
As I started this thread you will know that I have suffered this issue. I have removed all updates on both my laptops from 10th July onwards and I no longer have a problem.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 11:05:59 AM »
Thanks for sharing.  It's good to know the "fix" is working.

3WPL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 05:14:57 PM »
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
I'm new to this and I am using the trail period to evaluate the program. I was about to give up on it because it was so slow trying to design a screen.  It's like night and day when I uninstalled KB2962872.  The jury is still out on the program over all but it is 10 times better and i am not getting frustrated with it being slow.

Thank you

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 12:28:21 AM »
Glad you found this.  I just added a message to the News section on the website, which should show up in the news section in the app, too.  Hopefully this will reach more current and potential future users.

john

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 10:17:28 AM »
I had the same problems removing the windows update resolve the problems. Best you shut down windows updates, they always give problems.

CruiseLite

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 11:44:31 AM »
Soooo, I've got KB2962872 installed (on July 09) and have not been having any issues. Played 3 tournaments last night without a hitch.

I'm planning on leaving things "as is" for now and will remove the update if I start to see any issues but was curious if others were doing the same or have removed the update anyway whether having issues or not?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 04:36:10 PM »
It's certainly possible many people will never experience this issue, whether it's because KB2962872 simply won't affect their system the same way, or because the conditions are just never exactly right for it to appear, or there are other variables that we aren't aware of.

My opinion: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Just be aware of the issue and how to resolve it should it occur.

mobster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 09:36:25 AM »
same problem here, and that KBsh*t is not installed on my machine. TD is slowing down when i go to the database tab, and only on this tab.
Database to big?? i don't think so, i got 600 entry's
I also have been downgrade to IE9.

I want a decent solution, otherwise I have to go looking for another software, I'm sorry

TD was good ... a while ago

:(

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 01:50:00 PM »
No, 600 entries is not too big.  Doesn't sound like the issue you are seeing is the same as is being discussed in this thread.  Do you have the preference enabled to display all players in a single page on the Database tab?  If so, I'd recommend turning it off.  Let the Database tab display the players using pages.  Will go much faster.

What about your database location?  Is it on a shared drive, or local to the PC?

mobster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 02:39:59 PM »
The players are now displayed on different pages. I'm going to test it and keep you informed.
My database is local on the PC.

Greets

RichieD

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 04:09:22 AM »
Another 'gotcha' regarding the hanging/slowup for European users is thanks to the European Court!  >:(

Make sure you have removed the 'Browser Choice' KB976002, *AND* also make sure that its entry is completely removed from the scheduled tasks - the entry gets executed EVERY time an IE process is created.
From the Control Panel, go to Administrative Tools and select the TaskScheduler.
Remove the 'CreateChoiceProcessTask' entry.

I noticed this after suffering the slowdown/hangups, hitting CTRL-Alt-del and selecting the Task Manager showed the browser choice task being continually created/killed and taking upwards of 80% of the CPU.