Author Topic: Poker League - Formula for calculating points  (Read 2072 times)

LIPokerStarsLeague

• View Profile
Poker League - Formula for calculating points
« on: April 09, 2018, 03:05:01 PM »
I'm switching my poker league over to The Tournament Director for running and tracking point totals throughout the season of our league. I haven't gotten to far into the software yet, but in the interest of time, I wanted to inquire about writing an algorithm for our point system, which is as follows:

5 points are awarded to each player per entry in the tournament
5 points are awarded per knockout of another player from the tournament
15 points are awarded for knocking out the previous events winner (we refer to this as the King of the Hill bounty)

10 points are added to the prize pool per player entered in the tournament, creating the points pool for that event
The official final table of 9 then earns points, based on the following percentages (so number of points per place of finish will vary based on the number of players in that particular event):

1st - 33%
2nd - 22%
3rd - 12%
4th - 8%
5th - 7%
6th - 6%
7th - 5%
8th - 4%
9th - 3%

We also have a 10 tournament season, with the best 7 counting towards the end of the season totals (you drop your 3 lowest tournaments).
Any assistance with the best way to automatically calculate and track all of this in TD would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 10:32:26 AM by LIPokerStarsLeague »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Poker League - Formula for calculating points
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 06:07:08 PM »
So I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly, but from what I do understand, here's the formula:

(5 * buyins) + (5 * numberOfHits) + (switch(rank, 1, 33, 2, 22, 3, 12, 4, 8, 5, 7, 6, 6, 7, 5, 8, 4, 9, 3) * (10 * buyins))

For a 10 player tournament, here are the awards:

1st: 3,350.00
 2nd: 2,250.00
 3rd: 1,250.00
 4th: 850.00
 5th: 750.00
 6th: 650.00
 7th: 550.00
 8th: 450.00
 9th: 350.00
10th: 50.00

And here are the details:

So, if there are 10 players, each player automatically gets 50 points?  That's what the formula I supplied gives.

That's the (5 * numberOfHits) part.

15 points are awarded for knocking out the previous events winner

The formula does not include this.  But you can make this happen by creating a Prize that has points as the award, and setting the Recipient as a "bounty on player ...".

10 points are added to the prize pool per player entered in the tournament, creating the points pool for that event

So essentially the prize pool is 10 times the number of entries.  That's the (10 * buyins) part, and it's multiplied by a percentage based on rank (that's the switch() part).

We also have a 10 tournament season, with the best 7 counting towards the end of the season totals (you drop your 3 lowest tournaments).

Easy to do on the Stats tab.  Create a Profile and set the Overall Formula to:

sum(top(7, listPoints))

LIPokerStarsLeague

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 04:59:48 PM »
Thanks so much for your help Corey, greatly appreciate it. But let me clarify a few things, as I may not have explained it exactly right.

These 5 points are awarded just for showing up. I think we can add this in the buy in tab, correct? If so, then no formula is needed for this.

I don't have the program in front of me (on a mac at work) but I think we solved this by making each player in the tournament a 5 point bounty, so when you knock someone out, you are automatically awarded 5 points. Does this sound correct?

15 points are awarded for knocking out the previous events winner

You are correct Corey, the 15 point King of the Hill bounty can be added in the prizes, thank you, so I'm good with this

The prize pool per tournament is determined by number of players in the event. So if we get 28 players, we add 10 points per player, so 280 points would be awarded at that tournament. These points are then distributed based on the percentage breakdown in my original post above:

28 Players = 280 Points
1st - 33% - 92.4 points
2nd - 22% - 61.6
3rd - 12% - 33.6
etc.

29 Players = 290 Points

1st - 33 % - 95.7
2nd - 22% - 63.8
3rd - 12% - 34.8
etc.

If you could be so kind as to please provide me with a modified formula for this breakdown, that would be much appreciated. Also, where/how do I actually enter this in TD (I'm new to the program).

Our first event of the season using Tournament Director is April 21st, so I'll let you know how it goes...

Thanks,
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 05:01:39 PM by LIPokerStarsLeague »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 09:51:12 PM »
I see.  So each player simply gets 5 points for buying in.  That is a small change to the formula.  The (5 * buyins) part just becomes 5.

5 + (5 * numberOfHits) + (switch(rank, 1, 33, 2, 22, 3, 12, 4, 8, 5, 7, 6, 6, 7, 5, 8, 4, 9, 3) * (10 * buyins))

You could use the Points for buy-in and Points for hit fields, but those are usually meant as easy ways to award points if you don't want to use a formula.  The TD will award points for any of those fields, including the Points for Playing field, that you put a value in.  Thus, if your Points for Playing formula includes points for knocking players out and you also fill in the Points for hit field, you'll be awarding double points for knocking out other players.

It has been my experience that you should use either the simple fields or the Points for Playing formula field, but not both.  It tends to end up being a source of frustration when trying to figure out why your points formula isn't awarding the points you think it should be.

So, the above formula should be good.  It includes points for buying in, points for knocking players out, and points from the points prize pool.

Oh, oops, I forgot the decimal point on the percentages.

5 + (5 * numberOfHits) + (switch(rank, 1, .33, 2, .22, 3, .12, 4, .8, 5, .7, 6, .6, 7, .5, 8, .4, 9, .3) * (10 * buyins))

LIPokerStarsLeague

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 05:36:49 PM »
Thanks Corey. From what I've been told from our league manager, the formula above is not producing correct results. I'm being told that it's awarding points correctly for the first 3 spots, but spots 4-9 are getting too many points. Lets take a 28 player field for example:

28 Players * 10 points per player = 280 points
Place of Finish   Points   
1st                      92.4     33%
2nd                     61.6     22%
3rd                     33.6     12%
4th                      22.4     8%
5th                     19.6     7%
6th                     16.8     6%
7th                     14             5%
8th                     11.2     4%
9th                     8.4             3%

Would you be able to please check the formula and see if you get these results. Much appreciated, trying to get this tested and working properly before Saturday's season kick-off!

Thanks,

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 09:55:18 PM »
Yes, just as I forgot the decimal point previously, in my haste to fix it I added it incorrectly:

5 + (5 * numberOfHits) + (switch(rank, 1, .33, 2, .22, 3, .12, 4, .08, 5, .07, 6, .06, 7, .05, 8, .04, 9, .03) * (10 * buyins))

I'm also fixing this quickly.  I apologize if there's yet another aspect I've overlooked.

LIPokerStarsLeague

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 04:04:57 PM »
Thanks so much Corey. We used TD this past weekend and it went pretty well... two questions.

1. Based on the formula above, it appears all players outside of the final 9 were awarded the correct number of points (based on knockouts +5 points for playing), however the final 9 were awarded 5 additional points each than they should have received. Can you find any reason why that would be happening?

2. How do I export the Tournament results and then  import them into StatsGenie? once we have the formula working correctly, is there any feature to automate the process with StatsGenie? Is there a way to link the two so league stats get updated in real time?

Thanks,

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 10:49:48 PM »
I'm not really sure about the first one.  Whether or not the formula is awarding the correct points is certainly questionable, but it's not awarding an additional 5 points for spots 1 through 9.  Spots 1 through 9 get a percentage of 10*buyins, plus what every other player gets.  Every other player gets 5 points plus 5 points per hit.

For importing players into Stats Genie, just press the Export button on the Game tab after your tournament.  There's a button for Stats Genie.  Once you configure the TD with your Stats Genie info, it becomes very easy to have the TD submit your tournament info the the Stats Genie website for you.  But it won't update it in real time.  You have to wait for your tournament to end before you can upload it.  As far as I know, Stats Genie won't accept partially complete tournament data.

LIPokerStarsLeague

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 02:10:18 PM »
Thanks so much for your help Corey. We were accidentally adding +5 points to the buy in profiles, so that has since been fixed; ran a test and everything seems to be on the up and up. We also got TD configured with StatsGenie and the import of our tournament data was successful. TD is working out great thus far, good to see that it does exactly what it's advertised to do, and does it amazingly well! Great program.

Thanks so much Corey!

EmpirePoker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 05:06:45 PM »
Would this formula go in the tournament scores, the overall scores, or both?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 11:42:46 AM »
This would go in Points for Playing (on the Game tab) or as the Tournament Score formula.

Points for Playing formula adds to (or subtracts from) each player's Points value.  Points are summed automatically on the Stats tab.

Tournament Scores creates a "Score" value for each player on the Stats tab.

In effect, Points for playing and Tournament Scores behave in exactly the same way: they create a value for each player, for each tournament, in Stats.  However, PfP allows you to have a different formula for every tournament over which you compute statistics, while Tournament Scores will be the same formula for every tournament.  It's easier to maintain/change Tournament Scores, since you only have to make a single change for every tournament, but that precludes the ability to create a value differently per tournament, which PfP does.

Overall Scores creates a value for each player out of the cumulative values created by the Stats.  For example, the Tournament Scores formula will create a value for each player for each tournament.  The Overall Scores formula takes the values created for each tournament and computes a final value.