Author Topic: How do you handle a slow player?  (Read 5088 times)

CruiseLite

• View Profile
How do you handle a slow player?
« on: June 19, 2007, 05:38:36 PM »
Just wondering how others handle a consistently slow player during tournament play?    >:(

We have 1 or 2 players that no matter the level or bet amount, will always take WAAAAYYYYY TOOOOO LOOOOOONG on their action.

I know TD has a built-in hand timer but normally there is no one dedicated to controlling the laptop.
I usually try to sit close to it to handle bust-outs and seat moves, etc. but don't think the built-in timer would be convenient.
Any one know of any small timers that could be placed at the table(s) that are easy to reset quickly or have any suggestions???

Thanks!

Phaze

• View Profile
Re: How do you handle a slow player?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 12:55:18 AM »
As a group we have agreed that if anyone thinks that someone is taking too long, anyone at the table can call "clock" and then count down 30 seconds, and if he counts down to 0 then the hand is folded

PTL

• View Profile
    • Poker League
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 09:32:52 AM »
We used to have several players that would take forever.  Lets face it the longer each person takes, the fewer hands per hour.  IMO the more hands per hour(blind) the more skill there is as you can play more disciplined poker.  We introduced a 30 second rule, no one has to call clock, who ever wants to be that person anyways.  Understand that some decisions are difficult you we offer a one time additional bank of 30 seconds that can be used at any time.

Everyone got used to it and it works great.
The Best User Driven Poker Site, where you can find Poker Games in your area and get the latest Poker Strategy.

CruiseLite

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 02:26:23 PM »
I'm hesitant to introduce the "anyone  can call clock" situation for fear of it being abused but that is not totally out of the question. How often do you see it being used in your games, Phaze?

PTL - How do you handle the 30 second rule? Does the entire table just count approx 30 seconds or does each player count his/her own time? I was leaning to this way to handle our slow players prior to my post but just was unsure of how to actually count the time. I like the idea of one extension per tournament (kind of like on Speed Poker on TV). I have a small table timer that we used prior to TD but think it would be unruly to set/reset all the time.

Any other suggestions out there??

PTL

• View Profile
    • Poker League
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 07:59:06 AM »
Cruise,

We use the TD and have display it on an large Plasma on the wall so everyone can see it.  It's never super official but you know who you slow players are so you can just look at the clock and note it when the action arrives at them.  I usually would just say 10 seconds left, Players would mind each other too as I couldn't be at every table.  I never had to auto fold someone and if they need a legitimate chip count then I don't run them out the hand either.  It is just really a good way to keep the hands moving.

Hope that helps.
The Best User Driven Poker Site, where you can find Poker Games in your area and get the latest Poker Strategy.

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 11:17:23 PM »
I'm hesitant to introduce the "anyone  can call clock" situation for fear of it being abused but that is not totally out of the question. How often do you see it being used in your games, Phaze?

Certainly it has the potential to be abused, but it really hasn't. We are a pretty understanding group and its not called that often. I think its called more often when the round is close to being done and the blinds are getting steep  ;)

I think 30 seconds is ample time to make a decision. Usually the decision is already made but they are looking for some reason to call and nobody has complained when clock is called. The core group that I play with are pretty good friends outside of poker so might not work as great when there are more strangers, I don't know.

violator

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 02:23:02 PM »
We really have never run into a situation where the clock has needed to be called, however we have paused the tourny and wait for a decision when all of your chips were at stake.
Vio

MooseWizard

• View Profile
    • Louisville Poker Society
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 10:54:36 AM »
As a group we have agreed that if anyone thinks that someone is taking too long, anyone at the table can call "clock" and then count down 30 seconds, and if he counts down to 0 then the hand is folded

We've done similar.  At the last tournament, I made a couple of simple announcements before we got started that seemed to greatly improve speed.

"Remember: Please pay attention to the game so that when the action is on you, you do not unnecessarily delay the game."
"Remember:  When you are dealing, it is your responsibility to keep the game flowing smoothly."
The man, the myth, the moose!

CruiseLite

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 03:58:13 PM »
Guess I'll give it a try tonight (leaving in a few min. to go play  :) ).

I like the pre-game suggestions so I'll definitely go that route. Hopefully, the slow kids will take it to heart!  ;)

We also are a group of friends outside of the game so we all get along pretty well. Have had a few new players recently but the slow players are generally the same 2-3 from the core group.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 08:57:07 AM »
yeah, the little meeting before the tournament works wonders... it reminds people of some issues and lets the new people know whats what