Author Topic: Which site is easiest to use w/TD for league stats display..? StatsGenie? HPT?  (Read 4045 times)

pokerbuddy

• View Profile
Do I need an online league management system?

I would like to know the most popular and easiest online league management systems are?

A little background: I dont want to use a spreadsheet, etc, or my pc. I want to use an online system which has the added advantage that I can past stats for all players to see.

Maybe I just need to export stats from TD to a web page?

I know some people here use StatsGenie. Is this the most popular? If I understand correctly, this requires all players/members to sign up with the web site. If this is not a requirement, then this site might be for me.

Features I'd like: Players do NOT have to go thru an online registration process / sign up process. I'd like for everyone to be able to just view their stats and the leaderboards, etc.

I also do NOT need an rsvp or invitation system (I already use one that my members are used to and like).

I've used TD for some time, but this is the first time I am thinking of creating a league with stats for members to see/enjoy!

Thanks for any suggestions.

pokerbuddy

• View Profile
Been exploring since my posting above, and I found PokerDIY. I really like the fact that I can enter info from my mobile phone. But I digress again....

I see now after much reading that TD has exporting of stats capability to html, so maybe I can just update a web page/frame for my players. I'm really stretching my skills here, folks, as a newb to all of this ;)

Now if I can only figure out the method in TD to do stats for my new league, so that I can take only the top 6-8 tournaments for each player for one season to determine their overall scores/points...Can anyone point me in the right direction ?   Thanks.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
For the top 6-8, that's an easy fix. For when you have it set to filter the tournaments, in the overall score, you'll want to put this in:  top(6, scores) .   Obviously, if you want 7 or 8, you can easily change that. For a while, I was using proboards to host my leaderboard, where it was forum based much like it is here. However, I found poker-leaderboard.com, and I like that a lot better. Only disadvantage is that I have to manually enter the points in, due to the points system we have for our league, and that TD is not presently able to work with it (which is no big deal to me, I have no issues typing).

With the proboards, I took advantage of the html export, and just threw it up as it had it. Don't feel bad about being new to all of this, we all, myself included, have been new at one point or another, and even I ask questions at times - the support here's awesome!
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

pokerbuddy

• View Profile
For the top 6-8, that's an easy fix. For when you have it set to filter the tournaments, in the overall score, you'll want to put this in:  top(6, scores) .   Obviously, if you want 7 or 8, you can easily change that. For a while, I was using proboards to host my leaderboard, where it was forum based much like it is here. However, I found poker-leaderboard.com, and I like that a lot better. Only disadvantage is that I have to manually enter the points in, due to the points system we have for our league, and that TD is not presently able to work with it (which is no big deal to me, I have no issues typing).

With the proboards, I took advantage of the html export, and just threw it up as it had it. Don't feel bad about being new to all of this, we all, myself included, have been new at one point or another, and even I ask questions at times - the support here's awesome!

Thanks for the reply, Magic_fufu! I absolutely LOVE the TD software - and the support on these forums. It's the best!

I like the online leaderboard.com system, too - but I 'm sad that I can't use it with TD. I'm really looking to minimize my time -  and cant decide if I'll just export to html and paste it up on something like proboards, or use the online leaderboard.com system. How much time do you spend on inputting data - seems like redundancy, to me!! Especially since TD already has all that data input. 

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
If you're looking to minimize time, I would probably suggest going the route of proboards, then. There are settings where you can choose whether or not people must log in to the forum to see the boards or not, and it supports the direct upload. Being free, it'll take about 5 seconds for it to load, if I remember right, but it will show up as TD puts it together.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

pokerbuddy

• View Profile
Wow. The more I look at the league leaderboard system, the more I really like it! It can't take more than about 10 minutes to type in the points, etc, and it can track different locations/venues. Our members sometimes host games at their places, so this might be really helpful.

On the other hand I like that it'd take about two seconds to upload the TD results. It's good to know that proboards allows people to view the forums if the admin wants, too.

Decisions, decisions!

Thanks VERY MUCH for the info!

claymond12

• View Profile
I highly recommend Stat. Genie site.

I am the Treasurer/Secretary for a Social Club with over 150 members and I find that website so easy to work with, I am able to adjust the ranking management to collate so many different types of stats. I believe that you do have the ability to export from TD and TD2, however, It only takes me no longer the 5 minutes to enter a full tournament, which includes entering Players, position, payouts, points and buyin.

Once you have entered all of the information, a simple matter of copy and paste to a word document results in a professional looking leaderboard.

You also have the ability to make your leage private to keep the infomation of your players/members private.

I have three different accounts on Stats Genie to calculate the following three elements of our club.

1. Points leader for Venue on three different nights. (The possibilites to enter leagues and seasons within leagues is endless)
2. Player of the year.
3. Quarterly Winner for each of the three events that our club holds for its members.

I hope this helps.

Claymond

pokerbuddy

• View Profile
@Claymond:  Why do you not take advantage of the ability to export your TD files for StatsGenie?  I would think that this would eliminate typo errors.

I also wonder why you 'copy and paste' into a word document - does StatsGenie not produce a leaderboard which is suitable?

For me, the whole point of using an online system is to automatically produce the stats and leaderboard for display to my league players. TheTournamentDirector software will actually generate the reports for me - but I have to export them to html and then post them to a web site for our players to view.

I've used the online poker-leaderboard system for a while now but got tired of manually entering the players' points and position, etc., each time. We held several tourneys a week, and I made a few typos - even though I was trying to be careful - that I had to go back and fix.

Ideally, I'd like a script or program that will (upon the tournament finishing) automatically generate the reports & updated leaderboard & post it for our players to view. Corey: Any suggestions? Maybe AHK or something similar?

In the meantime, I'll settle for a site which will very simply & elegantly accept a TD exported file and generate the necessary leaderboard stats for my players. I'd like my players to NOT have to register for a new site to view their stats. The leaderboard that is important to me reflects the 'best X scores' to date for each player - players look at this after every tournament to find their relative positions.

I've really grown tired of having to do this manually after each tournament several times per week after a long and tiring tournament.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
There is something in the works for automating the upload process.  But this is for certain existing integrated sites, and it involves work on both sides (the TD and the site) so I have absolutely no idea when (or even if) it will make it into the software, although I'm all for it.  I haven't considered automating the uploading of exported stats, etc, generically to a website.  How would the software do this?

pokerbuddy

• View Profile
Corey: One way to automatically upload updated stats is kind of 'trick'...

I'd have a script (AHK or similar scripting tool) which you would run upon completion of a tournament.

The automated script would:

1. Select the stats tab;
2. Click 'Refresh' (cause I already have the formula input into the filter);
3. Click the 'Export' button;
4. Click 'Ok' to export to html;
5. Click 'Ok' again (cause I already have columns selected);
6. Save to my free public DropBox folder on my pc;
    (dropbox automatically saves it online)
7. Overwrite the previous stats image/file;
8. My website already links to this file (to display our 'Best X Scores' Leaderboard).

It would take less than 10 seconds for this script to run to completion (and the leaderboard viewable on the club website).

One click of a button to run such a script from my taskbar and it's DONE ;)

Now THAT is cool.

pokerbuddy

• View Profile
I should note that I haven't tested this and there may be a few additional steps.

I actually take a 'snapshot' of the resulting exported html stats file as displayed by my browser. Then I upload that snapshot (a gif file).

I take the snapshot with windows vista snipping tool.

But such a script is definitely doable by someone with AHK (or WInAutomation) macro scripting experience.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That's definitely a trick.  :)

From the TD's perspective, I was thinking of having an option, for example, on the Export feature where you select to "export" to your website.  By selecting that, the TD would automatically upload the exported HTML file to a website.  There would be a lot of details that would have to be worked out as far as how to actually go about doing that.

If there is a common protocol for doing this that most websites support by default (for example, like most web sites at one time supported Microsoft Front Page extensions, which perhaps they still do...), it might be possible to leverage it to add this type of functionality to the TD.

pokerbuddy

• View Profile
Actually, from within TD itself you could program a user button to do steps 1 thru 5 and then TD could also automatically generate a GIF of the stats html file; then save it to a specified folder (overwriting the old leaderboard)... and voilą !  ... it is now a linkable image file that anyone can use to display their updated leaderboard on any website (and players could bookmark the URL as well for future reference)  ;)

There are free programmers tools which could be used to generate the GIF file from within TD.

pokerbuddy

• View Profile
Corey: I wouldn't bother with web/net protocols and uploading files to a website. Just add the capability for TD to generate a gif file from the stats html output - then allow the user to save that to their specified folder on their pc. If that folder happens to be a public dropbox (or similar) service, then they (along with their league members ) can bookmark it and see the leaderboard at any time. It also is linkable so that a club website can hyperlink to the gif for viewing on the club website. With services like dropbox, there is no need to upload a file to some website. Elegant simplicity ;)

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
If you are still looking you can check out our TD Joomla Component in action here: http://thepokerleaderboard.com/index.php?option=com_poker&view=player&player_id=8&Itemid=80

My League Website - Joomla Component for TD. Now available for Joomla 1.5, 1.7 & 2.5