Author Topic: Are league settings independent of tournaments?  (Read 1681 times)

Jaxen

• View Profile
Are league settings independent of tournaments?
« on: October 06, 2008, 10:20:02 PM »
Question for Corey (or anyone else who knows) ...

Are the things in the Leagues and Database tabs (points settings, formulas, etc.) independent of the tournaments or do you have to have the same settings saved in each tournament?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Are league settings independent of tournaments?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 12:21:03 PM »
Tournaments are completely independent.  Players, leagues, and seasons in your database are also independent.  Tournaments and the database have a "loose" connection.  When you set a tournament's league, the league name and an internal identifier that references the league in the database are saved as part of the tournament.  If you delete that league in your database, when you next load that tournament the TD will alert you that it has a league setting that does not exist in your database, and will force you to either (a) clear the league setting in the tournament, or (b) add the league to your database.  By saving the league's name (at the time of the tournament) with the tournament, you are given a better idea of what may have happened (why you don't have that particular league in your database).  Same goes for seasons.

Same goes for players, mostly.  The player's name (first, last, and nickname) and an internal identifier are stored in the tournament.  If, when the tournament is loaded, the internal ID for a player is found in the database, then you've got a "database player" as part of your tournament (and the software will use the information in the player database - first/last/nicknames - to identify the player).  Otherwise, you've got a non-database player.

Stats are completely independent of everything, really.  To compute stats, the software counts up various items in a set of tournaments that you specify.  You specify which tournaments by using the filter.  Every time you want to see stats, they are re-computed.  So you could load up any given tournament, make a change, then go back to the Stats (and refresh) and you'll see the updated values.  Since they are computed every time, they are not saved anywhere.

I don't know if that answers your question ... it was kind of vague.

Jaxen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 11:50:09 AM »
I was wondering if you had to save the filter settings in the Stats tab in every tournament (each of our tourneys is a different file). I tried it and the same filter settings come up for each tournament, so it answered my question. Only have to set a filter once and all tournety files access it. Don't mind me, Version 2 simply blows my mind.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 02:46:08 PM »
To clarify, Stats Filters are saved as part of your preferences.  Preferences are automatically saved when you exit the program.