Author Topic: Help with points  (Read 1356 times)

jmunky85

• View Profile
Help with points
« on: March 21, 2013, 06:27:02 PM »
I am trying to setup a league but I have no idea how the "points for league" codes work. I was hoping someone may have the time to write the code that I need for my tournament to run properly. Here is the tournament layout I am wanting to use. Thank you for the help in advance!

Every Participant will recieve 10 points for participation
Every Participant will recieve 10 Points for each Player who gets busted out before him.
The top three participants get an extra bonus of 1X(3rd), 2X(2nd) and 3X(1st) the number of particpants who were in the game.
Players who do not participate receive 0 points (if that is even possible)

Basically I have a simple ten player league. This is an example of the points rewarded on a full 10 player tournament using the above point method.

1st  130
2nd  110
3rd   90
4th   80
5th   70
6th   60
7th   50
8th   40
9th   30
10th  10

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Help with points
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 09:51:23 AM »
Every Participant will recieve 10 points for participation

Every Participant will recieve 10 Points for each Player who gets busted out before him.

(n - r) * 10

The top three participants get an extra bonus of 1X(3rd), 2X(2nd) and 3X(1st) the number of particpants who were in the game.

n * switch(r, 1, 3, 2, 2, 3, 1)

Players who do not participate receive 0 points (if that is even possible)

Only players bought into a tournament can receive points.  Anyone added to a tournament (but not actually bought-in) can only receive points if you edit that player (on the Players tab of the Settings window) and adjust their points.

To combine the above:

10 + ((n - r) * 10) + (n * switch(r, 1, 3, 2, 2, 3, 1))

Actually, the first two can be combined.  Because each player gets 10 points for every player who busts out before him, the first player to bust out gets 0 points, and the next one gets 10, and the next one gets 20, etc.  But every player also gets 10 points just for participating in the tournament.  Which means the first player to bust out gets 10 points, and the next one gets 20, and the next one gets 30, etc.  So 10 + ((n - r) * 10) becomes ((n - r + 1) * 10), or (position * 10) (position is sort of the inverse of rank; it's your "bust-out" position; first person to bust has a position of 1, second person has a position of 2, etc):

(position * 10) + (n * switch(r, 1, 3, 2, 2, 3, 1))

jmunky85

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 08:28:33 PM »
Sorry I really have no idea what all of this means.. lol. I added the last field you gave me into the game tab "points for playing" field. When i tried to test it it only paid out the top three ranks at 30, 20 and 10. These scores are all based off of final positions that each participant bust out in. The top three finishers get the extra bonus
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 08:30:13 PM by jmunky85 »

jmunky85

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 08:32:37 PM »
Never mind i inserted the "10 + ((n - r) * 10) + (n * switch(r, 1, 3, 2, 2, 3, 1))" and that worked correctly. just got confused with all the last parts. lol. What would be the command for taking away 10 points for a re-buy?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 12:30:02 AM »
The test dialog only allows for one variable to change.  The usual route is to have it vary the "r" variable (rank) so you can see how it will award points for different ranks.  But the formula I gave you relies on the "position" variable, which in a real tournament would also vary (since it's the "inverse" of the rank).  In the formula test dialog, it won't change, and thus you'll only see the effect of the second half of the formula.  In an actual tournament, it would give the correct value.

But the two are just different versions of the same formula.  They'll produce the same results, so use whichever suits you.

To take away 10 points for a rebuy, add the following:

- (nr * 10)

jmunky85

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 01:04:03 PM »
oooh ok.. gotchya! Thanks for the help. I appreciate it!