Author Topic: Status Updates  (Read 2072 times)

IBuyCars

• View Profile
Status Updates
« on: December 11, 2013, 10:54:30 AM »
I would really like to more info on the status update feature of TD, my ultimate aim would be for the HTML Page to look the same or similar to the default TD main screen, perhaps someoe has already created a template for this that they might like to share.

cheers

IBuyCars

• View Profile
Re: Status Updates
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 06:15:05 AM »
Doesn't anyone use the satus update feature?

Seitz333

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 08:24:15 AM »
I use the status updates feature. It should be pretty easy to create a template that looks like the main TD screen. I can't promise but I'll see if I can put something together.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 09:21:56 AM »
The documentation on this feature is admittedly pretty terse.  Since it's a more advanced feature and requires a little bit of computer know-how to setup, and requires at least a little programming knowledge to modify, there are samples provided with the software that are meant to serve as examples in place of documentation.

To modify the sample to look like your layout is going to require a fair amount of HTML and scripting knowledge.

I'm happy to answer any specific question you have.

Mesnik44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 10:43:17 PM »
I also use it.
http://mobile.hitmenpoker.com/

Corey has been extremely helpful
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 02:16:23 PM by Mesnik44 »

itguy11

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 11:35:15 AM »
I am also having issues. I can create my own websites and use one for my home poker league (www.cellardwellerpoker.com). I also host my own website on reseller servers, so I have total control of them. I’m not a professional at websites at all but understand how they’re done. I am having a hard time figuring out how to upload a status of a tournament using Status Updates. I have installed Wordpress on my site (www.cellardwellerpoker.com/livestatus) and have tried a lot of different things to get the status to update. I get a “Succeeded” message when using “Post”, but nothing shows. Now I assumed this would fail as you need credentials in order to upload a file. How do I set this up so that my tournament Status Updates will work? I see no field for credentials. I'm sure this is Status Updates 101, but some help would be appreciated.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 01:17:28 PM »
By 'credentials' I assume you're referring to Wordpress credentials.  The TD's "status listener" page doesn't need any credentials.  It's really just a page that accepts POST data (think of it as a page that reads the results of an HTML form).

There are basically 2 pages that come with the examples: a "listener" page and a "status" page.

The listener page listens for status updates from the TD application.  That's all it does.  Point your browser at it and you'll get a blank page back, because it doesn't "output" anything.  It's just a listener.

The status page displays the status of the tournament.

The trick is storing the status of the tournament somewhere on the server so that the status page can display the current status of the tournament.  It's a simple data storage issue.  It can be written to a file, or put into a database.  The example listener page goes the extremely simple route of writing to a file.  The problem is most web servers are configured with security settings that don't allow this.  So your options are to either (a) reconfigure security settings to allow the listener page to write to a file; (b) change the listener page to write the status to a file located in a different folder where security is more lax (usually there's a "temp" folder that might allow this); (c) change the listener page to write the status to a database table.  For (b) and (c), you would also have to update the status page to read the status from the updated location.

Most hosting services provide access to MySQL for no additional charge.  It would be fairly trivial to modify the examples to use the database instead of a file.  Let me know if this would be a better solution for you and I can help.