Author Topic: Is Windows 7 not ok?  (Read 1878 times)

CaptinKidd

• View Profile
Is Windows 7 not ok?
« on: February 06, 2010, 07:02:50 PM »
Hi Corey, I've been using your AWESOME program on another laptop for the last 2 years - The operating system was excel and I had no problems AT ALL. This Christmas I bought myself a new laptop that has Windows 7 Home edition - The first time I ran my tournament with the new version 2.5.10 - All started out well and fine, no problems at all - but - as the program progressed thru the rounds, the timer started... sticking and when I tyred bringing up the "X" page to bust players out there was a major lag before the page came up and it took forever to bust them out. By the 4th round (we have 20 min. rounds) the clock was totally frozen and so was the program. Is there a compatability problem with windows 7 or ???? I uninstalled TD and reinstalled and ran a mock tournament and had the same issues - I need help as I DON'T - DO NOT - WILL NOT use another program as I've tyred a few (quiet a few) outher programs and by far... yours is superior.

Thank you for your time
         Doug

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
Re: Is Windows 7 not ok?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 07:44:27 PM »
I am running W7 on a desktop with tournament director and haven't had one issue. One of my laptops also has 7 in it and haven't had a problem there either. Both machines have plenty of RAM with a pretty strong CPU to go with it.
But like many programs in Windows, it will lag if you run too many programs simultaneously (even with dual or quad core). Check the task manager to see if there or any other programs or services using up all the CPU or taking up too much RAM. End all processes that aren't needed and try that.

CaptinKidd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 08:08:36 PM »
That is sound advice - Thank you. I have tyred that to (Forgot to add that to the first post). I tyred running the mock tournament off line and with no other programs running... just the TD program. Sounds like there isn't a program incompatibility problem with windows 7 if your running it on your computers so it sounds like the problem is with my computer. Not sure why, I have 2GB memory and 160 GB hard drive - my other computer wasn't even close to this and it ran fine - on excel - there must be (I hope) something I'm doing wrong and not a prob with my new computer. I have a few other programs on it and they all work fine.

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 10:33:30 PM »
Umm...Excel isn't an operating system. It is a part of the Microsoft Office Suite. It is a spreadsheet. Operating System would be Windows 7, XP, OS10, Ubuntu. Please clarify

CaptinKidd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 12:30:09 AM »
whoops - Guess I'm a bit frazzled - been trying everything and am still trying - I did mean windows XP . I've tyred shutting everything else off and running mock tournaments - changing screen resolution - updating my monitor (no updates) - running compatibility troubleshooting programs - switching compatibility modes... I'm running out of things to try (short of taking a really big hammer to the lapto...naaa don't want to do that - lol. what gets me is everything starts perfect - just as it should than as the program runs, usually about 30 min, the clock starts "sticking" and trying to bring up the "X" screen (or any other screen) takes forever (if ever - some times it wont come up at all and the only way out is to "Ctrl-Alt-Del")   ???  :'(

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 08:16:13 PM »
A few programs I have used (including TD2 an Firefox portable) have developed memory leaks after being open after a certain point of time. Fixing the problem (for my other programs) was as simply as uninstalling the program, rebooting the PC and re-installing. Try this out...

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 10:03:56 AM »
This is an issue that has been periodically reported ever since the release of 2.0.  There's no pattern that I can detect.  It doesn't have anything to do with your CPU or amount of memory, as far as I can tell.  It obviously isn't restricted to Windows 7.  And only a very few people experience it - I'd guess less than a dozen people in the past 4 years have reported it to me.

I wish I could give you an answer as to what is happening.  Is there anything specific about Internet Explorer that you can tell me?  What version are you using?  Do you have any plug-ins or extensions installed in IE?