Author Topic: Re-Entry / Rebuy with new seat  (Read 13705 times)

MickejMouse

• View Profile
Re-Entry / Rebuy with new seat
« on: September 08, 2013, 03:21:50 AM »
The poker world is getting flooded with Re-Entry tournaments! Look at EPT, WSOP, WPT, ... they all have re-entry tournaments :)

After some searching on the forums I noticed that its not possible to do this with TD :( The only choice you have is the Enter a new player in the tournament with the same name but then the ranking doesn't show the actual ranking because some players will be shown twice...

Adding a re-entry maybe to difficult to integrate in TD but maybe there could be an option that if you rebuy you can chose for that player to get a new seat if possible. That basically a Re-Entry, a rebuy with a new available seat.

Jaxen

• View Profile
Re: Re-Entry / Rebuy with new seat
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 09:59:38 AM »
We did a re-entry tournament earlier this year. Set it up as a rebuy tournament and the player "rebought" for the same amount as the original buy-in for another stack to make the pot right. We didn't "add" another player, but we use Dr. Neau's formula (search on it here) for points and if you re-enter you lose 20-30% of your points. We kept a re-entering player in the same seat, but you could just have them draw a card among open seats and move them in TD.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 10:18:57 AM »
There are lots of different definitions of what an add-on is, what a rebuy is, and now what a re-entry is.  The first definitions I understood were that an add-on was buying more chips while still in the tournament, and a rebuy was buying into the tournament again after busting out.  Then there were certain rules that began to blur the lines between them.  For example, one could rebuy before being busted out, which sounds to me a lot like an add-on.  Now we have re-entry, which is a rebuy where you have to be busted out, which sounds a lot to me like just a rebuy.

Regardless of how you define them, the TD has settings that conform to any of those definitions.  For example, you can select to "allow players to rebuy when they are not busted out of the tournament" right on the Game tab.  When rebuys are enabled and a player busts out the TD asks if they want to rebuy right away, thereby keeping their current seat.  If they don't want to rebuy right away (or they don't want to keep their current seat), you just respond "No" and then rebuy them back in later, which will give them a new seat.

Call it a rebuy or a re-entry, it's the same thing, and it is possible with the TD.

IBuyCars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 03:57:19 PM »
Corey, to avoid confusion why have an option (that's easy to implement) to change the name of the re-buy cell to re- entry!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 01:04:50 PM »
Good idea, but "rebuy" is embedded throughout the application.  A very quick count shows at least 368 lines in the language files with the word "rebuy".  Yikes!

NLAxeman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 12:24:11 PM »
I, too, was going to inquire about including re-entries to TD3 so figured I'd check out the forum first. Glad I did.

Based on the responses here, I have been playing with the re-buy feature to emulate re-entries but the main issue is that the number of players is not incremented up as should happen if a busted-out player buys in as a new entry again. If a player re-buys, he is essentially the same player and the chips in play and prize pool increases but a re-entry is a completely new player and should be treated as such. Because you cannot add a player who has already played from the database, I guess the only way to do it is to remove the re-entering players completely from the tournament, enter new players (ie. Ghost 1, Ghost 2, etc), bust out the ghost players immediately and then buy in the re-entering players and seat them. It's a time consuming method but can be done.

Is there any way to use the code for rebuys and have a trigger called "Re-entry" that only increases the total number of players with that setting on and not when just using re-buys? Just a thought.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 03:43:22 PM »
Add the re-entering player as a non-database player?

How would stats be computed on a player who re-entered, anyway?  Would we take his first entry or his last?  Or one in between if he re-entered more than once?  Or do we consider each re-entry as a separate tournament for that player?

Asegzamfire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 04:28:47 PM »
The Main difference between Rebuys and Re-Entries are that players pay the rake twice (unless you take rake on rebuys which mostly no one does), can take the dealer add-ons again because they are consider new players and also a rebuy has to be taken right aways before you bust out, the re-entry allow the player to leave the game, untilt for a moment then re-enter the tournament on a new table.

Personally Re-Entry are only use in Satellite tournament so far. The way i set it up its simply using the rebuys with rake. So the buy in and the rebuy are exactly the same. when a player bust out we answer no on the rebuy. As soon as he re-enter you just do rebuy on the player and the name appear in the unseated column and you assign him a new seat. ( Like Corey Explain above)

As for the Screen how to show the amount of players and not rebuy.  I write this in the layout:

Entries: <entries>
   <br>Re-Entry: <rebuys>
   <br>Remaining: <players>

This show the screen the amount of player then it show the word Re-Entry: and the amount of rebuys. Players see Re-entry but for you its rebuys, which is not a big difference. Except in the summary which show you the re-entry as rebuy. But not much of a problem to work this way.

Also it gave the players the information as how many real different players are in the tournament and how many re-entry. We received good comment on this one.

If you are using add-on as dealer addon, you just have to gave one more addon each time one player rebuy.

Hope this help some of you that runs re-entry tournament.
As for the point i think its just a matter of changer the formula to suit your need.

NLAxeman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 11:53:44 AM »
This is far more involved than I was concerned with. My concern is that a rebuy doesn't add to the number of participants in a tourney while a re-entry does and TD3 doesn't handle that. This skews the payouts if they are based upon the number of players. Stats and rakes notwithstanding, it's an issue if you want to run a re-entry tournament.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 03:32:46 PM »
Add the re-entering player as a non-database player?

Stats may be skewed, but the payouts would work this way.  In my previous post I asked about how stats should handle this situation [if it were to be implemented], because I honestly don't know.

sklein

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 10:00:37 AM »
Different beetwin Reebuy and Re Entry are:
Reebuy - you are allowed to re entry the tournament and take the same seat you are in and normally you don't pay rake for this.
Re Entry - You are allowed to reentry the tournament within the reentry time, the player who bust out can wait to reentry Just upon the reentry time is ended. Hi will get a new seat and he pay rake for this entry.

Please help me out to do this in a easy way in TD.....

Norwegian Poker Team

jzallen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 03:21:05 PM »
simple. add the cell to your layout that says "number of rebuys), add this to your entry number, then load your appropriate payout schedule.

Ive made reentries work out really well using rebuys.  Can apply dealer toke in the rebuy box. Corey has done a good job