Author Topic: Separate Break Timer  (Read 3756 times)

fgresh

• View Profile
Separate Break Timer
« on: January 12, 2008, 08:19:25 PM »
We tried a new format for our tournament last week and we loved it. It involved moving up rounds as a person busted out. It kept things pretty fast paced and we could get a couple of complete tournaments in in a single evening. This format made it a little difficult to easily manage breaks. As the rounds moved up due to players busting out, obviously we ran in to "break rounds". In one instace we had two players bust out in a row after only playing for about 5 minutes after a break. According to our round structure in TD, that would have put us on another break (while the smokers liked the idea, those of us who don't didn't want another break so soon). So, here's my suggestion, would it be possible to run a paralell break timer as well as the round timer. For instance, we want to take a break every hour, we could set that and when the tournament starts, the breaks would pause the tournament every hour, regardless of time in the hand. That way the breaks and hands would be independent of each other. I'm guessing some people wouldn't find this useful, but you don't get what you don't ask for.

Thanks,
Frank

tandemrx

• View Profile
Re: Separate Break Timer
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 08:48:48 PM »
Since this is such an unusual structure, I would think the best way to handle it would be to have an event occur based on elapsed time - having a message pop up that states players are on break and have the event pause the clock.  Seems like many more people might use the functionality of an event based on elapsed tourney time (maybe  ???) than have this type of structure.

I think TD can do all of that except use "elapsted time" as a condition for an event (well, I guess I know it could pop up a message and pause the clock as an event, just the elapsed time thing I don't think you can do).  You would have to restart the clock yourself, but since it is more of a freeform tourney, I wouldn't think that would be a problem at all.  Actually you could always set up another event for an elapsed time that was 10 minutes later that would unpause the clock.

Seems like this would be a more efficient solution than building a whole new timer system for a structure like this that not many would likely use and might confuse current users.

Does your structure/format create a lot of loose play/all-in fest activity?  Seems like it would be nightmare to be short stack in such a tourney, as only way to survive would be to play crazy throughout and try to stay on top of chip count.

fgresh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 10:29:01 PM »
It didn't seem to cause of an all-in fest at all, in fact everyone enjoyed the faster pace, it also encouraged normally squeaky tight players to loosen up a bit, something else they said they enjoyed. The first tourney we played that night lasted just shy of 2 hours with 10 players. The second one lasted a little over two hours with 13 players.

I played around with the events a little, but not having an elapsed time event (even an elapsed time from the start of the tournament would work) makes this not possible, at least right now. We'll probably have to do something low tech for our next evening.

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 10:43:04 PM »
Not sure, but I am just guessing that it would be way easier for Corey to add in an elapsed time condition rather than building some parallel seond break only timer.

Especially since elapsed time is already a token.

One thing you could do is put a cell in your layout with elapsed time token and then you could see when you hit 1 hour, then 2 hours, etc.,  but heck, if you tourney only lasts 2 hours I would think you only need one break at the most, so low tech could probably due fine - just a thought

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 08:20:06 AM »
I never played with the countdown timer, could that be used for this case? It is kind of cumbersome, but if cory might redisign it I think it would work well in this case... Even though I doubt he would do it for one case, I bet the countdown timer is the least used part of TD but a bit of an overhaul and it might be used more... just thinking out loud ;)

DragonII

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 12:53:51 PM »
I using most countdown in tournament with over 24 ppl. They had to chance for a smoke break before start.
Due the round take 20-25 mins each. so 3 rounds then 10 mins break.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 10:14:14 AM »
Allowing the Hand Timer properties to be modified has actually been on the to-do list for some time, but the Hand Timer really is really rarely used, as far as I can tell, so it is therefore a low-priority issue.

I could add a variable to the Event conditions that measures tournament elapsed time, and I think this is probably the best way to do it.  This would allow you to pause the clock if necessary and the event would still fire at the correct time.  But since this is will be a new feature, it won't help you now.

I'd try the Hand Timer.  It won't automatically pause the main clock... wait, what am I saying, of course it can.  Create an event that plays an alert sound and pauses the clock when the hand timer hits 0.  Start the hand timer when you start the main clock.  You can move the hand timer off of the screen to prevent it from being in the way of the main screen.

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 09:02:09 PM »
and maybe, in a future addition, put in minutes instead of just seconds on the handtimer... I tried to see if if would work decently but it took forever to move the hand timer to 10 minutes

fgresh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 09:45:02 PM »
Great suggestion on using the hand timer. We are playing this fast format in a couple weeks, so I'll create the event and practice with it before our tourney. Thanks.

Also, thanks Corey for putting the elapsed time since the start on the to-do list at some point.

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 09:49:20 PM »
remember that elapsed time is currently an available token - so you can always make a cell that includes elapsed time already - lower tech than getting a notice, but certainly you can easily see when 1 hour has elapsed using this in one of the cells.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 12:39:47 PM »
You can also set the default time on the hand timer.  So if you're just going to use it for this purpose, go to the Preferences tab and and set the Hand Timer default time (in the Miscellaneous section).

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 01:30:47 PM »
Yes, I did know about the default time, which I keep at 30 seconds for the actual "hand timer" use.  But, in theory (not yet in practice) I would use the hand timer for a penalty time out which is 5 minutes for 1st offense, 10 minutes second offense.  So, I would need to increment up when used for this purpose.

Thanks for the reminder though.