Author Topic: season ranking  (Read 1953 times)

Andy

• View Profile
season ranking
« on: August 18, 2010, 01:54:04 PM »
Hi,

first of all - great program. Unbelievable what you can do. But some things I can't get working. We're an organized poker club in Germany with somewhat over 400 players in our database. We have about 60 tournaments per season and bought the program about half a year ago. We tested it for some events but haven't used it for our club stats yet. With the beginning of the new season we would like to do so. Hope someone can help me with some problems.

1. Is it possible to display the stats of only one tournament? Till now I've only been able to show the stats for the season.

2. Since only the top 50 ranked players qualify for the final at the end of the season we would like to display the chip stacks of those. And here's the problem. In the past seasons rank 50 always had 5000 starting chips no matter how many points he achieved. The chips of the other qualifiers where calculated on hand the 5000 chips for 50th and the points each qualifier had. There's no factor to go by because the points always change. It's hard to explain but I hope you understand. I need a formula to display the chips on the stats screen. Of course I could do this in excel but I'd rather try this way.

Hope someone can help or give me some other clue.

Andy

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Re: season ranking
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 02:19:20 PM »
Create a filter, and have it set to the tournament that you want to show. Alternatively, you can create a new season under TD, then reopen the tournament file, and on the game tab, assign it to that same season. As yet another alternative, you can just open up the tournament file, and export it to HTML, and then open it up that way. Doing the last option will make it look like a web page, but the address will be a local file - containing something like C:\users\jimmy\thetournamentdirector2\ etc
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 02:27:04 PM »
Hi,

first of all - great program. Unbelievable what you can do. But some things I can't get working. We're an organized poker club in Germany with somewhat over 400 players in our database. We have about 60 tournaments per season and bought the program about half a year ago. We tested it for some events but haven't used it for our club stats yet. With the beginning of the new season we would like to do so. Hope someone can help me with some problems.

1. Is it possible to display the stats of only one tournament? Till now I've only been able to show the stats for the season.

With the current version I would suggest creating a new Filter on the Stats tab, and selecting the Start and End dates such that it will filter out all tournaments except for the one you want.

With 2.6 (currently in beta test), you can do it this way, or create a Filter and add only the single tournament file to the filter.

2. Since only the top 50 ranked players qualify for the final at the end of the season we would like to display the chip stacks of those. And here's the problem. In the past seasons rank 50 always had 5000 starting chips no matter how many points he achieved. The chips of the other qualifiers where calculated on hand the 5000 chips for 50th and the points each qualifier had. There's no factor to go by because the points always change. It's hard to explain but I hope you understand. I need a formula to display the chips on the stats screen. Of course I could do this in excel but I'd rather try this way.

Hope someone can help or give me some other clue.

Andy

So, 50th ranked player gets 5,000 chips.  The 49th through 1st player gets 5,000 chips + chips equal to the points they've accumulated over the season.  Is that right?  If so, I would think you would just have to set your Tournament Scoring formula to:

And your Overall Scoring formula to:

5000 + sum(scores)

Of course, this will show all of your players who participated in tournaments, including those who ranked 51st and over.

Andy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 02:36:44 PM »
Thanks for the quick response. I pretty much think that you understood what I tried to say. I'll give it a go and post the result.

Great forum by the way

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 03:12:09 PM »
Andy - Want to apologize for only answering part of your question -- didn't look at whole post before I started to answer, as I'm sure you could tell. Either way, glad to see you got the answer you're looking for.

Cheers!
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Andy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 05:00:38 AM »
Hi Corey,

Tried your formula but it's not exactly want I meant. Your adding 5,000 to the players points. So I took your formula an multiplcated it by a factor which I got by taking our final stats from last season. It looked pretty good and I thought that I got it now. All until one of my club colleauges came by and told me that ist was not the way we've been getting the chip stacks in the past.

The last seasons rank 50 had 5,000 chips fix. No matter how many season points he had. If you now take the 5,000 and divide them by the points you get a factor. You then use this factor and multiplicate it with the points for each of the other 49 qualifiers. Now you have the the chip stack of every qualifier. It sounds easy till know. But in our case the factor changes after every tournament. No matter if you have 36, 50 or 120 players in the ranking. The last qualifier always gets 5,000 fix.

So what we need is to get the score (determined chip stack) of the last qualifier (which is always 5,000) and divide it by his points (changes with every tournament) to get a factor to calculate all other qualifier stacks. Non qualifiers will always have 0 stack.

1. Is it possible to get the score value of rank 50 to determine the factor I need and take it that to calculate the rest. I can get it done in excel but have no idea how to configure the formula in TD.

2. After we get the calculated value we no want to add the hits each player has and add them to the value. I've defined 1 point per hit and it shows them in the stats. In our case each hit (1 point) is worth 100. So if a player has 8 hit he gets 800 added to his overall score.

And one more. Can all variables and operators be used to define formulas in playing points, tournament and overall stats. Maybe I'm to stupid but it seemed that some didn't work in one or the other.

Thanks for the help

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 11:25:42 AM »
1. Is it possible to get the score value of rank 50 to determine the factor I need and take it that to calculate the rest. I can get it done in excel but have no idea how to configure the formula in TD.
or the help

Unfortunately, no.  The way you are describing it, an additional step would have to be added to the Stats calculations.  As it stands now, each tournament has to be processed, and for each player in each tournament the Tournament Scoring formula has to be processed.  After all tournaments and players are processed, each Overall Scoring formula is processed for each player.  To do what you are describing, another formula would have to be run after this step (in order to utilize the values created in the Overall Scoring formula step).