Author Topic: Display on TV  (Read 3970 times)

fiveonomo

• View Profile
Display on TV
« on: January 09, 2009, 02:15:42 PM »
Hello all, I hope everyone's holiday was good.  I have a question today I am hoping someone can help me with.  I am hosting my first tournament of the year and the first one using the TD software.  My laptop is about 4 years old and we have a tv that is 4 to 5 years old, a wide screen.  It seems to me when I bought my laptop the guy told me I could use the tv screen as a display.  Does anyone know how I can do this?  What cable would I need to make the connection?  Am I able to do this?  What is the port called on the tv that I would hook into from the computer?
I would really love to do this tomorrow, any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am gadget/technology challenged.  Thanks for the help in advance.  Scott.

Karpro

• View Profile
Re: Display on TV
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 03:07:39 PM »
I've been looking at the same thing myself but haven't bought the cable yet.  My laptop has both an s-video and a vga out.  My TV has both an s-video in and a dvi in so I just have to decide which cable is better (pronounced cheaper  ;D) the s-video or the vga to dvi.

fiveonomo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 03:56:17 PM »
Thanks for the help.  What is the cable called?  I know what you just told me but if I call best buy what should I ask for?  Thanks again in advance.

fiveonomo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 06:20:17 PM »
Awesome!  Thanks for the links.  Now, do I need both or should one of those work.

fiveonomo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 06:33:12 PM »
This may not work for me.  the tv only has the following connections:

on the front a yellow,white and red connection
on the back a yellow, white and red connection and a digital audio out orange and a video plug.

let me know what you think.  Thanks, Scott.

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 07:39:04 PM »
what do you mean by a video plug out in the back of your tv?

you need RCA cables with video... the question is what can you do for outs on your laptop? if you have s-video out you may need something like this: http://www.svideo.com/rcatosvideo.html

now this is strictly video only, no audio so you will need another cable to run audio... you can run audio out through your headphone jack and you will need something like this: http://www.shoptronics.com/sthe3pltodur.html

now I am NOT advertising for the pages I posted, you can buy these cables at any electronics store... I just picked them cuz they were first on google and had a pic

If you have a different video out then snap a pic of what kind of output it is and I'll find the right cable for ya

fiveonomo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 07:43:21 PM »
I am not sure.  My lap top is at home and the tv is at my buddies where we are having the tournament, I am at work.  i remember when I bought the lap top i hooked it to my big screen tv, but that was 4 years ago.  As far as the tv goes I am telling you exactly what he says it says on his tv.  Maybe I will wait until the morning and try to look at this again.  Thanks, you guys are always around to help.  Scott.

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 06:46:36 AM »
I was just curious by what you mean by video plug, no biggie... its probably a single input rca... regardless, RCA wires will work for the tv so thats covered, we just need to know what outputs on the laptop are...