Author Topic: MSHTA,EXE at 100% CPU  (Read 10860 times)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: MSHTA,EXE at 100% CPU
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 10:32:35 AM »
All released versions.  All official versions.  Or, all versions except for 2.6 alpha 1, beta 1, and beta 2.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.  The only versions of the software that I believe have anything directly to do with the slowdown issue would be 2.6 alpha 1, beta 1, and beta 2.  I believe, lacking any other evidence, all other slowdown issues are related to a particular configuration of Internet Explorer and/or Windows.  It's also very rare, being reported by at most a few dozen users, out of tens of thousands (at least).  Again, lacking any other evidence, I can only attribute it to a particular configuration of IE/Windows.  I really, really, REALLY wish I had more to go on.  In fact, I wish it was (or IS) a bug in the software.  If it were, at least I could have a crack at fixing it.

As I stated in another thread (I think), while trying to figure out the memory issue I introduced in 2.6 alpha 1, I did a lot of optimization.  Perhaps that is responsible for the increased performance you see in 2.6.b3.  But while helpful, it doesn't solve the issue.  I'll keep looking...

AdamK

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 12:43:40 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.

Just for grins I tried uninstalling all my IE add-ins and tried again. Same slowdowns....

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 09:59:59 AM »
I think Corey means that all "official releases" have run fine. the beta releases aren't considered full release, although anyone who wants to can, and assume any risk associated with it, and thus be able to test out the newest updates.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

AdamK

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 10:14:38 AM »
I think Corey means that all "official releases" have run fine. the beta releases aren't considered full release, although anyone who wants to can, and assume any risk associated with it, and thus be able to test out the newest updates.

Well, my "Official" 2.5 version is lagging too. In fact, it's lagging more than 2.6 Beta 3. It all started when I moved to a brand new Lenovo X200 Laptop running Windows 7 64-bit and the "official" 2.5 version. I tried the BETA to see if the problem was fixed. According to Corey it's not, but he speculates it lags less due to code optimization.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 06:43:25 PM »

Well when I thought I posted this, I didn't see Corey's "Official" release post... Ah well... :)

I don't know much as far as coding goes, but I do know he has done much optimization and he did in fact make the post he wasn't sure of - I remember reading it somewhere. Seems odd that yours lags, and wish I could assist in making it lag less as I'm going to school for computer repair/business management *shrugs*
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 10:29:53 AM »
The software has exhibited this behavior for a very few people since I first released version 2.0.  This is another reason it seems like a IE/Windows issue.  The software has undergone tremendous change over the years, and very little of the original code even remains today.  Yet the issue does.

AdamK, did the software NOT lag over time for you, and then you upgraded to a newer version and it started lagging?  That would surprise me.

AdamK

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 10:53:54 AM »
AdamK, did the software NOT lag over time for you, and then you upgraded to a newer version and it started lagging?  That would surprise me.

It started to lag after I updated to new hardware, a Lenovo X200. The version of TD I was using did NOT change. I always updated TD 2.5.x when new versions become available, so it was the latest version which I had been running on my Lenovo X61s. The X61s was running Windows 7 32-bit and the TD ran perfectly.

My current hardware is relatively new (a couple of months old), so the Windows 7 64-bit installation is "fresh". The only thing I did was install all of the Windows Updates and my typical program set. All other programs are running as expected. I noticed the slow down the first time a ran a tournament for my poker group. I figured I just hadn't rebooted for a while?? I've been running TD for this group for a number of years, about once a month. This is a relatively fast computer with 4Gb of RAM. It's never been infected, nor has it ever exhibited any other "strange" behavior. I'm an IT director and do some programming so I <think> I'm a pretty good judge of whether a machine is in good operational condition. I carry this laptop between work and home and it is my primary computer. It runs GREAT!

<Something> is definitely up even with the latest BETA version. The slow down still exists, but as we've discussed, it's "better". Hopefully this issue will remain an isolated problem for a small percentage of your users. Happy hunting! :)

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 12:32:16 PM »
As far as the beta goes, the only issue I've had performance wise is that every once in a while, during the level-end warning, it hiccups a little - like it hesitates, but catches itself to get itself back on track. But, I guess I've always attributed it to the fact that I usually had some background processes going on at the same time...
---

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 09:42:45 AM »
I've seen this, too.  I did make a slight change in the update thread that takes care of updating the state, updating the screen, checking for events, etc.  So, is this a new issue with 2.6 beta, or did this also happen with 2.5.11?

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 12:49:15 PM »
To the best of my recollection, this was only with b3. Can't say for sure, as I started off with the official release, and believe I picked up beta early into b2 stage, but can't say for sure.
---

AdamK

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 08:32:33 PM »
So I was having the same slow down problem running a tournament last night, so I decided to look at my setup again. The icon I was using to launch TD was set to 'run as admin', and set to XP compatibility mode. I couldn't remember why I had it set that way, so I changed it. Works fine now. I ran a tournament for a few hours. The memory usage slowly creeps up, but the process % never changes much like before.

Hopefully that was the issue. I'll keep testing.....

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2011, 10:53:03 AM »
That's good news.  Thanks for the update.