Author Topic: Formula Help  (Read 1950 times)

acomire

• View Profile
Formula Help
« on: November 11, 2011, 09:19:02 AM »
Hi Everyone -

I plan on changing our point awards for my next season and was looking for a little help.  I run a rebuy tournament and allow rebuys through round 3.  Current points are awarded for place based on number of people in a tournament - ie. 8 man tournament, 1st place gets 8, 2nd place gets 7 and so on..... I also give 1 point per hit even during the rebuy period.  My current formula is:

n-r+1

Here are the changes I wanted to make.  Since I pay 3 places I still want to award points base on the number of players but only give them to the people who monied based on a weight.

8 man tournament example paying 3 places - my money payouts are 50%, 30% & 20%.  With 8 points available I want to give 50% of the points to 1st, 30% of the points to 2nd and 20% of the points to 3rd.

Regarding in relation to the hit points, I only want to count the hits AFTER the rebuy period is over which.  I don't want to count a hit unless the player is permanently knocked out.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

AJC

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Formula Help
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 11:36:56 AM »
Here are the changes I wanted to make.  Since I pay 3 places I still want to award points base on the number of players but only give them to the people who monied based on a weight.

You can use the inTheMoney variable to determine if a player is in the money, or the inTheMoneyRank variable to restrict awards to players who monied.

8 man tournament example paying 3 places - my money payouts are 50%, 30% & 20%.  With 8 points available I want to give 50% of the points to 1st, 30% of the points to 2nd and 20% of the points to 3rd.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but this almost seems like a nearly static formula:

n * switch(r, 1, .5, 2, .3, 3, .2, 0)

Of course if the number of paid spots changes, you could use the previously mentioned variables, but I'm not sure how you're going to determine the percentage each monied player gets ...

Regarding in relation to the hit points, I only want to count the hits AFTER the rebuy period is over which.  I don't want to count a hit unless the player is permanently knocked out.

I thought I had added this for 3.0, but I can't seem to find anything.  If not, I need to add a variable like numberOfFinalHits to represent hits where the player was permanently knocked out of the tournament.  It would seem you cannot do this at the moment ...

On a personal note, I never understood awarding based on "permanent" hits.  I mean, the hitman did the work of busting out a player, but it is left up to the busted player whether or not the hitman gets rewarded for his effort.

The Meal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 10:05:45 PM »
I can see rewarding "Final" hitmen in that they tend to occur after the rebuy period is over.  Also, knowing that by not rebuying you're giving a specific opponent points may alter the decision to go ahead with that rebuy (and therefore juice up the prize pool).

I can see the incentive for the new designation.

big_alv77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 11:08:03 AM »

I thought I had added this for 3.0, but I can't seem to find anything.  If not, I need to add a variable like numberOfFinalHits to represent hits where the player was permanently knocked out of the tournament.  It would seem you cannot do this at the moment ...

On a personal note, I never understood awarding based on "permanent" hits.  I mean, the hitman did the work of busting out a player, but it is left up to the busted player whether or not the hitman gets rewarded for his effort.
[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to weight the value of "when the hit took place"?  For example, let's assume we are playing a Triple Chance Hold'em event and there will be a total of 3 hits before a player is completely eliminated from the tournament.  Now, let's say that the FINAL hit is the one that counts the most.

Say, we have...
hits = 25 and finalHits=50
totalHits = numberOfHits + numberOfFinalHits

This way, everyone gets equal credit for the intial hits, but the hitman who delivers the final knockout gets a little extra.  You can even have separate Awards/prizes if you keep track of hits in your league (in this case, it would be "totalHits).

Please note: my variable names may be incorrectly used in this example. Please accept my apology. Thanks.

acomire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 10:17:09 AM »
Not to bring this back from the dead........ but I'd thought I would explain my thoughts.

The Meal has it on the nosey.  We have had on occasion people choosing not to rebuy after busting our during the rebuy period.  I'm not sure of the logic, but for whatever reason it does happen more often then you think.  I just purchase v3 and will try to hammer out this formula.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

AJC